Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Official Running Thread

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
Outrageous weather change, started off lovely and then ended up in a total monsoon! Crazy scenes there at the death but a very good run from all 3, good and high consistent pace for the final lap. Very tough run but good to stuff the Hornets, they never had the legs to get back at us but they certainly did have a crack.

The first official race event from NSC Runners - time to get the name registered and trademarked and then to design the team gear... :thumbsup:

Also, enjoyed running as part of a team. I want to join a club but I don't like to commit, I would enjoy it on the raceday but I like to do my own thing more often than not.

Simgull

Jan 3, 2013
Hove
Great stuff. Certainly one for next year.

I went out with the Run Squad and got caught in the storm. The last event was a very squelchy 1km race/swim - I was around 3:55. Got home looking like wet rat.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
All good fun running the NSC Weakest Link relay. Mr Banana failed to touch base so we recruited a spare 17" 5K Arena 80 runner for the last leg. Non timed event and hard to switch on a Garmin whilst touching hands for relay switch over. Two steep climbs put a lot on the time too. Other teams mainly Arena 80 , Hove Hornets, the Fit Bitches and a few Phoenix. Last leg seemed to be run with [MENTION=24635]Greg Bobkin[/MENTION], myself and [MENTION=13055]Ninja Elephant[/MENTION] all running same pace. Once they stopped talking! I'll leave them to comment on that. So the relay order and respective rest given seemed to be spot on. Our man who ran two consecutive legs supported us all during the team leg and kept us in touch. He won't want to run with us again though!

Nicest moment was our team taking out the team of the Hove Hornet's Boss. YES that man that [MENTION=27279]dazzer6666[/MENTION] found had me on his Facebook page after the Brooks 10K as a bedraggled runner. Talked to him since and he is a great bloke. When we took them with a mile to go, he rallied his team " Don't worry about them, too fast, too early, we'll catch them on the run in" So gave them some verbal and they said " We are the Hornets you'll see the sting in our tail" They tried hard to keep up but we stuffed them on the run in. That's the sort of running I like.

A few teams next year NSC. I forgot to say the weather was rather inclement.
Sounds like great fun. Count me in next year

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Sounds like weakest link was excellent. Glad I didn't sign up this time as I was still battling SASTA at start time - three hours to get home again. Took that frustration out on the seafront this morning running decreasing intervals of a mile, half mile and quarter mile. Absolutely drenched in sweat after that but a first sub 7 mile according to strava.

Anchorman

Oct 19, 2007
Did the Weakest Link last night also, was certainly 'atmospheric' conditions towards the end. As a regular reader of this thread was looking out for you guys but didn't spot you, nor disappointingly any beach girls taking selfies with you.....

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
You did better than me! Only managed 9 miles but then spent the morning pacing up and down a football touchline repeatedly saying "pass it". Was pretty warm yesterday morning and I forgot to put a line of vaseline above my eyes. Consequently was blind with sweat by the peace statue.

Quick 5k tomorrow morning for me then intervals on Thursday night before ruining it all at Edgbaston on Friday

England 216-0 at the moment. Looks messier than that great Ashes Day last year. Are you doing the Edgbaston Parkrun tomorrow? :lolol:

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Heavy legs from Wednesday's Relay. Decided to follow [MENTION=26634]Simgull[/MENTION] round Hove Parkrun knowing it was above my pace but wanting to see what would happen. Decreasing mile splits and nothing at the end was the answer as he sprinted away. 20:54 and well behind simgull. Happy with that little experiment.
2 and a half weeks to the Phoenix 10k. So a heavy 10 days training planned before a week tapering. Still aiming at 43:00.

Simgull

Jan 3, 2013
Hove
Heavy legs from Wednesday's Relay. Decided to follow [MENTION=26634]Simgull[/MENTION] round Hove Parkrun knowing it was above my pace but wanting to see what would happen. Decreasing mile splits and nothing at the end was the answer as he sprinted away. 20:54 and well behind simgull. Happy with that little experiment.
2 and a half weeks to the Phoenix 10k. So a heavy 10 days training planned before a week tapering. Still aiming at 43:00.

Official time 20:32 - seemed generous to me- Garmin said 20:48 although I did not have satellites located from the start and not sure what effect this has. How far behind me were you and do you agree with your official timing?

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Official time 20:32 - seemed generous to me- Garmin said 20:48 although I did not have satellites located from the start and not sure what effect this has. How far behind me were you and do you agree with your official timing?

My Garmin was spot on and as consistent as all Parkruns. Do I really have to say how far behind you I was? You're setting me up.

You started moving away just before the final peak and increased the lead to the finish. Look at my Strava graph to yours. My tank was empty. Good to have a marker in front though.

Simgull

Jan 3, 2013
Hove
My Garmin was spot on and as consistent as all Parkruns. Do I really have to say how far behind you I was? You're setting me up.

You started moving away just before the final peak and increased the lead to the finish. Look at my Strava graph to yours. My tank was empty. Good to have a marker in front though.

I mean we're you 6 seconds behind me (in which case my PR time is right)or more like 22 and I believe my garmin?

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
I mean we're you 6 seconds behind me (in which case my PR time is right)or more like 22 and I believe my garmin?

Haven't you got that arse about face? You were out of sight so 22 seconds sounds good between us. I got 20:54,official and my Garmin, putting you at 20:32 and your Garmin searching for satellites for 16 seconds.

Last edited:

Simgull

Jan 3, 2013
Hove
Haven't you got that arse about face? You were out of sight so 22 seconds sounds good between us. I got 20:54,official and my Garmin, putting you at 20:32 and your Garmin searching for satellites for 16 seconds.

Ok thanks yes arse/face mix up. Blimey that means 1 sec off a pb ��

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Ok thanks yes arse/face mix up. Blimey that means 1 sec off a pb ��

I seem to know your times better than you do! Stalker alert. Although your consistently faster than me at a Parkrun I have been able to do a one off effort every now and again to pip your pb. So my 20:23 last year held good until after this years marathon, I think, and you got a 20:21 pb at Hove Prom. 20:31 is a Hove Park pb for you.

Thanks for being in front and giving me something to chase and aim for at 5k. For the 10k I'll be happy to finish 30 seconds behind you. Off to Ovingdean for a slow run now and a swim.

jimmygull

Mar 22, 2012
Hi all, need to something positive as I'm well in the Brexit blues at the moment. Thinking of lining up a few 5 and 10k's to get my mojo back. Last one I did was Worthing 10k which i really enjoyed despite the heat. Could you fellow runners suggest any good ones coming up over the next few months. Many thanks in advance!

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Hi all, need to something positive as I'm well in the Brexit blues at the moment. Thinking of lining up a few 5 and 10k's to get my mojo back. Last one I did was Worthing 10k which i really enjoyed despite the heat. Could you fellow runners suggest any good ones coming up over the next few months. Many thanks in advance!

Brighton Phoenix 10k July 13 Wednesday evening run on Hove Prom. Google and enter! Double figure NSC entrants.

jimmygull

Mar 22, 2012
Brighton Phoenix 10k July 13 Wednesday evening run on Hove Prom. Google and enter! Double figure NSC entrants.

Nice one Knocky, that will do for starters, like the fact it's an evening run, best get some runs in, as have let it slide since Worthing with nothing above 4 miles, gulp!

Pembury

Jan 12, 2015
South Wales Caerphilly

Beat the Tide 10k by Sussex trail events. July 17th i think. Along the beach at low tide from Worthing to Shoreham and back..

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Have a look at the West Sussex Fun Run League website, races most weeks, very cheap and very friendly

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Impressive running by [MENTION=6886]Bozza[/MENTION] at the moment. Going from strength to strength. 38+ miles and 6 hours running in a week. Maybe he's planning an assault on the SDW 100.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here