Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Official Running Thread

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Sounds like a very good session. I'm just reflecting on the benefits of riding a bike as you did to a training session or even an event. I set my PB after arriving at Hove Prom by bike from deepest Worthing. It didn't seem to make sense - but the stopwatch never lies.
Managed a steady 7K last night but will not run today as there's the Parkrun tomorrow.

The gentle, low gear, bike warm up/cool down has many advantages. First you raise/lower the heart rate at below 75%, whereas when I run these I think lets go a little bit faster as warm up/cool down is boring. Secondly you can get out to different areas for the run. Thirdly, it adds variety to the session. Finally it makes your strava weekly pace much higher because the slow bits of the run are omitted. :)

Got my race number for the Phoenix today. Same as my age. Easy Hove Park tomorrow followed by a 10 miler on Sunday to prevent myself becoming the first runner to hit the wall in a 10K.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
The gentle, low gear, bike warm up/cool down has many advantages. First you raise/lower the heart rate at below 75%, whereas when I run these I think lets go a little bit faster as warm up/cool down is boring. Secondly you can get out to different areas for the run. Thirdly, it adds variety to the session. Finally it makes your strava weekly pace much higher because the slow bits of the run are omitted. :)

Got my race number for the Phoenix today. Same as my age. Easy Hove Park tomorrow followed by a 10 miler on Sunday to prevent myself becoming the first runner to hit the wall in a 10K.

Got my number today as well. Considerably bigger than my age or even my age X 2. I wonder if it's indicative of relative expected finish position?

Meanwhile, the Himalayas are near the SEA? :moo:

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Got my number today as well. Considerably bigger than my age or even my age X 2. I wonder if it's indicative of relative expected finish position?

Meanwhile, the Himalayas are near the SEA? :moo:

No is the answer today but 200 million years ago it was under the sea. 150 million years before the Indian sub continental plate began to move north into the Eurasian plate to form the Himalayan mountain range. Sea salt is better than processed table salt but this salt is better than ordinary sea salt.Its untouched by pollution man and it's a lovely pink colour. Didn't do me much good in the marathon though.........

Cut and Pasted for you.I'm one of the many people who believe.....

The History

First of all, what makes Himalayan crystal salt so amazing? About 200 million years ago, there were crystallized sea salt beds that were covered with lava. Because this salt was subsequently enveloped in snow and ice for millennia, it was protected from modern day pollution and preserved in an untouched, pristine environment. The Himalayan mountain range goes across Asia, and passes through China, Nepal, Myanmar, Pakistan, Bhutan, Afghanistan, and India. Many people believe that this pink salt is the purest salt that can be found on the planet.

Minerals & Energy

Himalayan Salt contains the same 84 trace minerals and elements that are found in the human body; that alone is quite impressive! A few of these minerals include: sodium chloride, sulphate, calcium, potassium, and magnesium. When consuming this salt, you are actually getting less sodium intake per serving than regular table salt because it is less refined and the pieces are larger. Therefore Himalayan salt has less sodium per serving because the crystals or flakes take up less room than the highly processed table salt variety. Another great thing about this salt is that, because of its unique cellular structure, it stores vibrational energy. The minerals in this salt exist in colloidal form, which means that they are small enough for our cells to easily absorb.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Windy Worthing parkrun: 21:11 for me. Bit disappointing but actually the 3rd over 40 male so can't grumble - times were generally slow. Turnout around 230.

You beat this younger old git. Heavy legs from the week managed a planned 10k pace 5k. 21:36. One second a mile over the target mile pace. That'll do.
Interesting comment on age group. The Republic of Hove and Brighton Parkrun would have had you in 47th place overall but around 22nd in the over 40 group.

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
You beat this younger old git. Heavy legs from the week managed a planned 10k pace 5k. 21:36. One second a mile over the target mile pace. That'll do.
Interesting comment on age group. The Republic of Hove and Brighton Parkrun would have had you in 47th place overall but around 22nd in the over 40 group.

Like the precision delivery of target. I too was surprised by the times of the 40-59 categories at Worthing. I think the moral of the story is that if you want your ego massaged then head west!

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
First run from my new address, 9.5 miles to Brighton Marina and back. The distance wasn't a problem despite it being my longest run since the BM. Speed and hamstring more of a concern, felt tightness from about 5 miles and pace dropped to 7:30 per mile despite the feeling I was working quite hard. 1:10:04 avr pace 7:21 but I'm in no shape to attack the Phoenix in 10 days time.

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
First run from my new address, 9.5 miles to Brighton Marina and back. The distance wasn't a problem despite it being my longest run since the BM. Speed and hamstring more of a concern, felt tightness from about 5 miles and pace dropped to 7:30 per mile despite the feeling I was working quite hard. 1:10:04 avr pace 7:21 but I'm in no shape to attack the Phoenix in 10 days time.

Sounds like a bit of a concern. Don't think I've ever had a hamstring prob. My issues tend to be lower down and - lo and behold - my Achilles is giving me much trouble today. Beginning to get bad vibes too about the Phoenix..............................

downham seagull

Dec 6, 2012
Norfolk
Spud run 5 mile multi terrain race Cambridgshire

£10 to enter, £15 prize for coming first in Category, not bad for a Sunday's racing! lol. Worried about my hamstring after doing the parkrun yesterday. Set of steady and tucked in behind Rod a mate of mine then straight onto the grass and 90% of the distance multi terrain . Held the pace for 3 miles but when hitting the riverbank at 3.5 miles I started feel my hamstring . 3 went passed me at this stage and Rod was 30 sec ahead. Dug deep in the last mile and reeled in one runner and closed the gap the the pair infront to Finish 13th overall in 32.01. First male Vet and first for Fenland running club Happy days!!

https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/1239252287

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
£10 to enter, £15 prize for coming first in Category, not bad for a Sunday's racing! lol. Worried about my hamstring after doing the parkrun yesterday. Set of steady and tucked in behind Rod a mate of mine then straight onto the grass and 90% of the distance multi terrain . Held the pace for 3 miles but when hitting the riverbank at 3.5 miles I started feel my hamstring . 3 went passed me at this stage and Rod was 30 sec ahead. Dug deep in the last mile and reeled in one runner and closed the gap the the pair infront to Finish 13th overall in 32.01. First male Vet and first for Fenland running club Happy days!!

https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/1239252287

Excellent. The first NSC runner to go professional!

Good luck to those carrying injuries into the final prep for the Phoenix. Maybe Jesus can heal you now he's back from hols.
I knew I was on the brink of overtraining on Friday as I felt like superman and had to force myself not to run. Saturday Parkrun was hard with the gentle slope feeling like a mountain proving my knackeredness. Today decided to ditch the long run and do it tomorrow. After that it's dropping back on pace and distance ready for the day. Looking forward to it.

Simgull

Jan 3, 2013
Hove
Great to be back up the n the Downs this morning. 10 miles from Ditchling Beacon to Lewes and back. Have n't really been up there since the winter and amazing how much has grown, footpaths that were chalk and mud are now grass covered.

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
Great to be back up the n the Downs this morning. 10 miles from Ditchling Beacon to Lewes and back. Have n't really been up there since the winter and amazing how much has grown, footpaths that were chalk and mud are now grass covered.

It occurs to me that at any given time the NSC thread is a microcosm of our divided nation. Not because of politics but simply because of injuries/form. Half of us are down in the dumps and the other half are chirpy and up-for-it. So on behalf of the down-in-the-dumps tendency I thank the chirpy ones for reminding us how good it can be when things are going well: so well done to Downham and Simgull.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

Love that section, one of my favourite places on earth.

3 week 'recovery block' ended for me today with a lethargic 7.5m plod, probably a legacy of playing both golf and cricket yesterday so on my feet all day. Got to focus on marathons in 2 & 3 weeks time now, several days of overeating and drinking need to come to an end. Been fun though !

Simgull

Jan 3, 2013
Hove
It occurs to me that at any given time the NSC thread is a microcosm of our divided nation. Not because of politics but simply because of injuries/form. Half of us are down in the dumps and the other half are chirpy and up-for-it. So on behalf of the down-in-the-dumps tendency I thank the chirpy ones for reminding us how good it can be when things are going well: so well done to Downham and Simgull.

Ironically running is one of the things I am using to keep me going at the moment - although there was a moment last week (running into cold wind and rain on a Wednesday evening at the end of June!!) - when I thought even that was n't working!

At least the sun has finally come out - had a great time at Paddle Round the Pier today - left me feeling much more chirpy!

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
I'm quite glad that I've been through my down in the dumps phase with running and come out the other side. I probably should have just knocked it on the head completely for a month instead of trying to struggle through, but can't change that now.

Anyway, here's the details of the parkruns challenge from Saturday. Sausage fingeritis meant that the run is in two parts (anyone know how to 'merge' two entries?), with the second one being MUCH tougher than the first. Bevendean course is a bit odd – literally running around a field. One that isn't that well trodden, either.

Was good fun, but the timing was a bit out, hence the slower, walked section before HP as we rocked up with 25 mins to go and there was no way I was carrying on running and THEN doing the final parkrun.

https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/1240510457

https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/1240510467

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
I'm quite glad that I've been through my down in the dumps phase with running and come out the other side. I probably should have just knocked it on the head completely for a month instead of trying to struggle through, but can't change that now.

Anyway, here's the details of the parkruns challenge from Saturday. Sausage fingeritis meant that the run is in two parts (anyone know how to 'merge' two entries?), with the second one being MUCH tougher than the first. Bevendean course is a bit odd – literally running around a field. One that isn't that well trodden, either.

Was good fun, but the timing was a bit out, hence the slower, walked section before HP as we rocked up with 25 mins to go and there was no way I was carrying on running and THEN doing the final parkrun.

https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/1240510457

https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/1240510467

Good 21 mile Saturday run. You looked fresh at the end of your forth and final Park run at Hove Park.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Running tip. Don't eat half a packet of roquefort before doing mile pace intervals.
Only thing worse were the bowl of cold whelks and cider vinegar I ate in February before a long run. In fact that was much worse and just the thought of them still makes me wretch. I thought the high iron content would be good for me.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here