Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Official Running Thread

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
At the halfway point of the year how are we all looking back at the past six months? No doubt targets were set New Year.

I would give my 2016 an 8 out of 10 running wise so far, but concerned that I'm struggling to shake off an injury at present so second half of the year may not be so strong.

I've run 436 miles so far this year over 62 runs average pace is 7 minutes dead.

My 5k pb has improved from 18:59 to 18:40
My 10k pb has improved from 40:39 to 40:08 still can't get the coveted sub 40 but I'm almost there
Half Marathon has improved from 1:32:23 to 1:27:23
Marathon pb has improved from 3:29:23 to 3:15:59

The Brighton marathon was definitely an highlight but was delighted with the HM too. I've decided to take a year of marathon running so I've entered the BM 10k instead.

Plenty of 10k's lined up between now and November so plenty of opportunities to grab a sub 40.
Good post. My year so far? A mixed bag with massive highs and deep lows.

Scores on the doors: 531 miles; 20 miles a week taking up more than 73 hours of my life!

The Brighton-London double was special but strange and ultimately saw me massively lose focus and motivation for a good month. I probably should have stopped completely for longer, but I'm back on it now.

I'd almost forgotten about Worthing Half - did I REALLY do 1.39?! That was a good day and I hope to get back to that level of performance.

I cheated on Hove Park with two others, and I really hope she'll take me back on Saturday. On track for 250 by March 2018 and it's still the best thing about running.

Relay last week was another highlight. Must be repeated next year.

Verdict: 7 out of 10. Can't fault the effort, but the lack of focus let me down in late-April and May.

Second half of the year is all about getting that parkrun time down and BEACHY!

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Good fun but still working to a 5k time near 20:00. Will be in August or September. Enjoyed running, winning and losing to you lot.

Weirdest achievement was for Strava to announce me the fastest runner on the Carrats Cafe Crunch out of 2,262 runners. A 400m or so run and I smashed it by 2 seconds without even knowing it existed.
https://www.strava.com/segments/9009309?filter=overall

With a summer breeze I hasten to add.

Last edited:

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
At the halfway point of the year how are we all looking back at the past six months?

Absolute shithouse.

I largely gave up running for 5-6 months and put back on most of the weight I lost when I took up running last year. I started again in mid-February and, having given up work at the end of February, I had no excuse not to get properly stuck in again. However, I was obsessed by the Albion's season and spent much of the next two months out on the beer quite a lot, or so it seemed.

It was only at the culmination of the season that I've properly set my sights on running again, although the Euros hasn't helped with the overall health thing, as it's been a beer-fest. However I'm now on day 38 of a run/ride streak, with most of those days being running. On each of the last two weeks, I've covered nearly 40 miles and I expect to be between 40 and 50 this week probably.

I couldn't get anywhere near the PBs I set last year but I hope once I get my weight down a bit again and stop running every day I'll begin to see what I'm capable of once again. One thing is for certain - injuries aside, I'll not quit on running this time. I want to see how good I can be, for my age etc, if I really apply myself.

Simgull

Jan 3, 2013
Hove
At the end of 2015, quite a few of us posted our targets (around about page 540 of this thread if you want to look back!).

Mine were:

Targets for 2016..

100th park run (easy by mid January!) - DONE
Beat Hove Park run PB of 20:31 - Beat this at Hove Prom 20:21, getting close at Hove Park
Sub 1:40 HM - need something flatter than Barns Green or Hastings! 1:38:14 at Hastings!
Finish London Marathon with a smile on my face and somewhere near 3:40 - 3:44:28 and a massive smile!
Keep on enjoying the running as a 50 year old man. TICK!!

Overall got to be very pleased with 2016 - pbs at 5k,HM and Marathon and I reckon I should break my 10k pb this year to complete the set.
London Marathon was an obvious highlight but also loved Hastings HM and delighted to reach 100 parkruns.
527 miles, at 5.05/km nearly 72 hours and enjoyed nearly every minute!
Joining The Run Squad has given me a fresh impetus.

Looking forward to a summer running on the Downs, then 1066 Way to Battle and probably Barns Green in Autumn and either Mince Pie or Downland Devil in December then the build up to Brighton 2017.

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
On NSC for over two decades...
405 miles so far this year, over 62 runs.

The goals were:

Hmm, aims for 2016...

Sub 19:30 5k
Sub 40 10k
Sub 1:30 half marathon
To run the entire Barns Green Half!

5k - yep, did a 19:24... and punched through 70% WAVA age grading for the first time just for good measure.

10k - just the one trail run this year, in a quagmire, 4 minutes off the target. I'll probably have another crack at the Jigsaw Run at Dunsfold Aerodrome later this year... and pray the wind keeps off this time!

Half marathon - 1:30:06, agonisingly close!

Barns Green - we'll see in September...

penny's harmonica

Jan 30, 2012
Most of my2016 targets have been reached in the first six months.
Half Marathon sub 1:45, Hastings 1:40
First Marathon BM 3:39.
Phoenix will be my first 10k this year and the aim is sub 45 to complete the set. I have other 10k's planned but Phoenix is the flattest so best chance.
I'm slightly behind on my 1000 mile target for the year, I need to run 40 miles in the next 2 days to get back on schedule....

Very happy overall, enjoying my running more now than ever.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Managed 6 miles this morning before breakfast, a warm up and cool down mile either side but 4 miles at aerobic threshold of just under 9 min miles. I couldn't pace consistently for shit on Tuesday in the humidity but was back to spot on in this morning's wind and rain. Clearly run better in wind and rain than summer heat! Miles 2, 3, 4 and 5 were done in 8.54 / 8.58 / 8.59 / 8.56. Very happy with that. Looking at 12 or 13 miles on Sunday now and should be back to fighting weight.

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
Got blustered around on the prom last evening for a few miles. Think I'm nearly back to my lower peak or health than the rest of you now. Going to work on speed I think as I've not the attention span for long runs anymore, will try to get up to consistent 8 minute miles now, which is quick for me a plodder. I do like a hill though.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Doesn't look like I set any targets, which is probably a good thing. But I had the eight-hour limit for Brighton-London, which bombed. I think if I DID set targets at the beginning of 2017, I would make them a BIT more realistic, to give myself a bit of leeway.

Turns out the parkrun challenge is THIS Saturday! A 6am start and c.21 miles starting at the Bev. Apologies in advance if I appear broken by the time I reach Hove Park...

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Doesn't look like I set any targets, which is probably a good thing. But I had the eight-hour limit for Brighton-London, which bombed. I think if I DID set targets at the beginning of 2017, I would make them a BIT more realistic, to give myself a bit of leeway.

Turns out the parkrun challenge is THIS Saturday! A 6am start and c.21 miles starting at the Bev. Apologies in advance if I appear broken by the time I reach Hove Park...

Will have to switch from the Prom to see how you all look. Good luck. I'll think of you when I'm making my tea to take back to bed.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Bit off more than I could chew today. I thought I'd finish June with a cheeky half-marathon. Set off at a nice slow pace and stuck to it easily enough until just after mile 8 when I smashed into a wall.

Not enough food - I'd not eaten much since early yesterday evening? Not enough liquid - I never take anything out with me? Or just the compound effect of the last month or so? Not sure.

I slowed to a walk three times in the last 5 miles but made it home. Just.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Bit off more than I could chew today. I thought I'd finish June with a cheeky half-marathon. Set off at a nice slow pace and stuck to it easily enough until just after mile 8 when I smashed into a wall.

Not enough food - I'd not eaten much since early yesterday evening? Not enough liquid - I never take anything out with me? Or just the compound effect of the last month or so? Not sure.

Good effort though. You've run a squillion miles since Monday.

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
On NSC for over two decades...

That happens, had it a few times myself on 10 mile plus runs since the start of the warmer weather - it is possible to run that distance without carrying water with you though, you just have to make sure you're properly hydrated before you start.

These days I habitually take a pint of water with me when I go to bed - anything I haven't drunk over night I finish off as soon as I wake up in the morning.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
I take water out on anything longer than 8 miles and don't on anything shorter. I also use isotonic gels. No science to the first one other than using water on all my pre-marathon long runs to practice hydration on the day. The isotonic gels are just the ones I get on with best.

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!

Could be any of these or a combo. When I ran in my 30s I would simply never walk; you'd have had to shoot me. However as I've got older I tend to listen more to my body and I will walk for part of - or simply give up - a training run. Once you've rid yourself of any feeling of self-criticism it isn't too bad; better that than to run yourself into injury. (For these reasons I never tend to be too far away from Chez GNT!)

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012

Been there, done that. Resorted to a walk when while on my last pre-marathon run, which I started later than normal, meaning it was hotter and I was so dehydrated towards the end. Only time I've had to abort a run.

Probably a bit of all the things you highlight. Or just one of those runs. Time to ease off a bit in July, maybe?

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Had a great hill tempo session today. Cycled to Duke's Mound. Then ran up at 10k flat race pace. At top you turn and run down at just off that pace. The beauty is the recovery is run at 7:30 pace. Continued 10 times and then cycled home for stretching and a hot bath in bloody June.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

God man, nothing wrong with walking on a run ! I do it loads. Still time on feet, nice to have a little breather etc etc.

As regards bonking, could be a range of things but at a slow pace it probably wasn't much to do with food - you should be largely fat-burning at a slow pace. It's probably worth taking a gel or two or a few jelly babies with you next time though as it'll give you a lift.

I take water on anything over an hour in normal weather. If it's very warm or humid I'll take some on even shorter runs. I also take salt caps on anything over about 2.5-3 hours. Again, though, this probably isn't why you crashed a bit - more likely cumulative fatigue because you've been doing so much good stuff. Take a rest day, it will do you the world of good !

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
God man, nothing wrong with walking on a run ! I do it loads. Still time on feet, nice to have a little breather etc etc.

As regards bonking, could be a range of things but at a slow pace it probably wasn't much to do with food - you should be largely fat-burning at a slow pace. It's probably worth taking a gel or two or a few jelly babies with you next time though as it'll give you a lift.

I take water on anything over an hour in normal weather. If it's very warm or humid I'll take some on even shorter runs. I also take salt caps on anything over about 2.5-3 hours. Again, though, this probably isn't why you crashed a bit - more likely cumulative fatigue because you've been doing so much good stuff. Take a rest day, it will do you the world of good !

You could have hit it with the salt. Could be accumulative. Whenever I feel ****** after a run or even the day after I will drink a teaspoon of Himalayan Sea Salt (or any salt) in water. Did it today for the first time in ages. Also took a rest day yesterday and felt the benefits today. [MENTION=6886]Bozza[/MENTION] has had a good month though even if he hit the wall at the end.

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
Had a great hill tempo session today. Cycled to Duke's Mound. Then ran up at 10k flat race pace. At top you turn and run down at just off that pace. The beauty is the recovery is run at 7:30 pace. Continued 10 times and then cycled home for stretching and a hot bath in bloody June.

Sounds like a very good session. I'm just reflecting on the benefits of riding a bike as you did to a training session or even an event. I set my PB after arriving at Hove Prom by bike from deepest Worthing. It didn't seem to make sense - but the stopwatch never lies.
Managed a steady 7K last night but will not run today as there's the Parkrun tomorrow.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here