Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Ouch! My calves!

Cut the heel out of an old pair of knackered trainers in an effort to do last night's Preston Park Magic Mile. Decided on a test effort on Tuesday. All went well but woke up yesterday with screaming calves and had to cancel the mile race and still extremely sore today.
Not sure how I suddenly got a lactic build up. Warmed up, cooled down and did the jog recoverys. For months been doing sessions at Withdean as hard and 3 times longer with no problem.
Maybe the worn out shoes are to blame, running on tip toes as no heel or maybe a one off from the second AstraZ jab 4 days before.
Positives are; the test run was speedy with a tail cross wind, I wouldn't have had my fast trainers on for the race and probably would have broken down with the extra race effort.
Waiting for a course and race report from Silver medal winner [MENTION=18183]big nuts[/MENTION]

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
Ouch! My calves!

Cut the heel out of an old pair of knackered trainers in an effort to do last night's Preston Park Magic Mile. Decided on a test effort on Tuesday. All went well but woke up yesterday with screaming calves and had to cancel the mile race and still extremely sore today.
Not sure how I suddenly got a lactic build up. Warmed up, cooled down and did the jog recoverys. For months been doing sessions at Withdean as hard and 3 times longer with no problem.
Maybe the worn out shoes are to blame, running on tip toes as no heel or maybe a one off from the second AstraZ jab 4 days before.
Positives are; the test run was speedy with a tail cross wind, I wouldn't have had my fast trainers on for the race and probably would have broken down with the extra race effort.
Waiting for a course and race report from Silver medal winner [MENTION=18183]big nuts[/MENTION]

Enjoyed the race last night. Nowhere near as busy as I thought it might be with about 30 runners across two races > and < 7 minutes being the rough divider.

5:30 for me, which is 10 seconds slower than my best, but PP isn’t flat so a reasonable effort.

As mentioned it was good enough for second, I was about 9 seconds behind the winner.

Posting a time gives me a good benchmark and something to beat through June-September.

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!
Having recovered really well from my well-documented soleus injury, I've now done something to an achilles. Literally one minute before the end of my hour run Wednesday before last, I felt something not quite right above my left ankle. I had this before about twenty years' ago. It took months and months to go. Daftly, I played football on both the Saturday and Sunday after, followed by 5-a-side on the following Thursday. That's when I really knew I had to ease off of the running. I've now dusted off the Goalie-gloves, and reduced games to Saturdays and Thursdays until I feel my achilles is ready for a bit more than turning around, bending over and picking the ball out of the back of the net!

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Enjoyed the race last night. Nowhere near as busy as I thought it might be with about 30 runners across two races > and < 7 minutes being the rough divider.

5:30 for me, which is 10 seconds slower than my best, but PP isn’t flat so a reasonable effort.

As mentioned it was good enough for second, I was about 9 seconds behind the winner.

Posting a time gives me a good benchmark and something to beat through June-September.

Funny thing trying to evaluate runners. When I met the Gold winner with you at Ardingly I would never have put my money on him to beat you over a mile. He can certainly shift.

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
Having recovered really well from my well-documented soleus injury, I've now done something to an achilles. Literally one minute before the end of my hour run Wednesday before last, I felt something not quite right above my left ankle. I had this before about twenty years' ago. It took months and months to go. Daftly, I played football on both the Saturday and Sunday after, followed by 5-a-side on the following Thursday. That's when I really knew I had to ease off of the running. I've now dusted off the Goalie-gloves, and reduced games to Saturdays and Thursdays until I feel my achilles is ready for a bit more than turning around, bending over and picking the ball out of the back of the net!

Oh that's a bummer. I've had the same prob on and off for years. Each time it seems to hang around longer. I read somewhere that tendons take a long time to heal (as opposed to muscles) because the blood flow is less.
So welcome to the club. My current situation is that I can run only after resting fr about 5 days, and then it flares up again. A 10k on Tuesday evening was rather unwise.
What with Knocky's calves and our achilles, it's not a good time for old gits on the thread.

PS ice?

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
On NSC for over two decades...
Less than 16 weeks until Brighton Marathon. Who else has started their training apart from me?

I'm following the FIRST plan again, as it seems to suit my body and lifestyle - so each week is intervals, tempo run, long run, and two forty minute cross-training sessions (aka watching telly whilst on an exercise bike). All going well so far, though I'm not looking forward to the weather getting hotter!

BiffyBoy100

Apr 20, 2020
Anyone in for a major this autumn?

I'm signed up for Berlin so keeping my fingers crossed, but I still can't get my head around countries allowing international travelers even by Sep / Oct. I have a feeling outside elites, they'll go ahead without international runners...

FloatLeft

Jun 12, 2012
I was up early this morning to get my long run out of the way before taking the kids to football training.

Marathon training week one completed, 15 more to go.

Same here!

For some reason I thought the Brighton Marathon was in October and then last weekend I realised (just in the nick of time) that there was 16 weeks to go…

… so printed out the 3h 30min training plan from Runners World and now into week 2!!

Loving having something to aim for but it’s a shock to the legs.

Yesterday’s 9 miler was the longest I’ve run since the Brighton half last year.

Hopefully my legs will get back to fully marathon capable.

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
On NSC for over two decades...
Just looked it up. Like the concept and less running. Have you done this one before?

Yes, I followed a version of the plan when I ran Brighton in 2018. This'll be the third time I've started following this particular version though due to cancellations of the 2020 Brighton Marathon :D!

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Morning all! This weather's lovely and all that but it's a bit full on for running, even early mornings. Trying to keep the mutt away from pavements as much as possible, so we've stayed near the river, which has been really nice. Sunday morning I stumbled across people racing with 'UK Ultra' branding and it was only afterwards that I realised there was a 100km race from Arundel to Eastbourne going on! Obviously lower profile than the Centurion mob and I think this year was the first one. Seriously tempted for next year though.

Speaking of races, I went crazy (for me) and signed up for two yesterday: Beat the Tide – one of the very few 10ks I can get onboard with – and Beachy Head Marathon. I think I'm done with Brighton and I missed the virtual London cutoff, so that's the Autumn goal, as well as a bike race in Wales, but this isn't the thread for that sort of chat :lolol:

Meanwhile, I've also realised that if Weakest Link goes ahead on 23rd June, I'll have that and then one of Sussex Trail Events' 5in5 marathons the next day. Great planning! Stick me in the C team, Gaffer...

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Morning all! This weather's lovely and all that but it's a bit full on for running, even early mornings. Trying to keep the mutt away from pavements as much as possible, so we've stayed near the river, which has been really nice. Sunday morning I stumbled across people racing with 'UK Ultra' branding and it was only afterwards that I realised there was a 100km race from Arundel to Eastbourne going on! Obviously lower profile than the Centurion mob and I think this year was the first one. Seriously tempted for next year though.

Speaking of races, I went crazy (for me) and signed up for two yesterday: Beat the Tide – one of the very few 10ks I can get onboard with – and Beachy Head Marathon. I think I'm done with Brighton and I missed the virtual London cutoff, so that's the Autumn goal, as well as a bike race in Wales, but this isn't the thread for that sort of chat :lolol:

Meanwhile, I've also realised that if Weakest Link goes ahead on 23rd June, I'll have that and then one of Sussex Trail Events' 5in5 marathons the next day. Great planning! Stick me in the C team, Gaffer...

Had 10 days of fatigue after second astra jab. Decided to sit it out. Feeling more enrgy today so will have a return jog along the prom soon followed by a swim.

Enjoy Beat The Tide but unfortunatley it's the day before the Brigthon Phoenix 10K on Hove Prom 7:30pm Wednesday 14 July Places available https://brightonphoenix.org.uk/our-events/phoenix-10k/

The Weakest Link 2021 on 23 June is looking doubtful especially as the date is before the hopeful resumption of Parkrun on the 26th June.
This is their recent statement; Covid News - Event on hold for the moment, waiting for the all clear from the council that covid levels aren’t too high.

Whilst we are on the subject of the benefits of cross training to achieve running goals, what is the bike race in Wales?

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Morning everyone, Long time no post (again).

Hopefully I'm not tempting fate by posting again on here as last time I said I was back I immediately missed the next six weeks with some horrific calf / ankle / foot thing that I couldn't even be arsed to get diagnosed. I think I would have given up for good at that point had my old training partner not kept messaging me to come out for a run - any run - when I was better.

I've slowly built it up over the last four weeks again so that I can at least think about marathon training. Managed 8 miles all in one go on Sunday and a good aerobic session in the heat this morning.

I'm still Killer Whale sized and every now and again my lungs decide they belong to a heavy smoker with COPD so getting much under 10 min miles is a real effort. However, slowly the breathing is getting better on my "speed" sessions and the legs muscle memory is definitely there - they were fine for 8 miles of plodding.

Now back to over 20 miles a week for the first time in well over a year so we'll see what happens. Today is also day 1 of diet. Less carbs, particularly bread and spuds, no snacking and cut down on booze.

Plan is, if I can't do Brighton, to at least get them to swap me to the BM10k. I still have my Beachy Head place as well and that will be this year's A race, so long as I manage to keep going.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here