Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Official Running Thread

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Tucked up in bed early in Lynton ready for Exmoor Maverick Ultra in the morning. Weather here is glorious (in contrast to. Right on I hear), and course appears to be spectacular.
Only issue is 35 miles (further than I’ve ever run before)with 2700m of climbing to tackle.
Trying to tell myself it’ll be fun - expecting it to be painful! See you on the other side!!

Looking forward to the race report. Good luck today.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Tucked up in bed early in Lynton ready for Exmoor Maverick Ultra in the morning. Weather here is glorious (in contrast to. Right on I hear), and course appears to be spectacular.
Only issue is 35 miles (further than I’ve ever run before)with 2700m of climbing to tackle.
Trying to tell myself it’ll be fun - expecting it to be painful! See you on the other side!!

Good luck! Remember: 'pain is inevitable; suffering is optional'

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Bum holes. The calf only lasted a mile on it’s first run out. ��
I have to concede to my superior [MENTION=18762]Garry Nelson[/MENTION]’s teacher and cancel track sessions and the track races. Back to the physio’s couch.
Swimming and cycling will have to take over.

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
Bum holes. The calf only lasted a mile on it’s first run out. ��
I have to concede to my superior [MENTION=18762]Garry Nelson[/MENTION]’s teacher and cancel track sessions and the track races. Back to the physio’s couch.
Swimming and cycling will have to take over.

Oh no! OK (in the words of the song) let's call the whole thing off. I'll probably not get to the start line either. Managed a 5k in 22.44 (74.47%) but creaking badly with worse to come if I tried to get 10K fit. Thanks anyway: I can relax a bit now.

Simgull

Jan 3, 2013
Hove
Exmoor Report:

‘That was f***ing brutal’ - seemed to sum up the popular view, it was certainly a phrase heard several times at the finish.

However, the course was absolutely stunning, cliff edge paths, ancient forest, an enchanting river lined with waterfalls and spectacular moorlands. This though came at a price - 2500m elevation in 36 miles. It wasn’t just the elevation though, it was the steepness (both up and down) that was an absolute killer. If you know the climb at the start of 13 the Hard Way, like that but steeper and about eight climbs to negotiate. Some of it was steps, some shale, some just a straight near vertical path. Most of the course also needed extreme concentration as the rocky paths were easy to trip on and in some case then fall off a cliff!
I made it but by the end was absolutely shattered. Friends I was with who had previous done London to Brighton, SDW50, Jurassic and Beachy all said this was a lot, lot tougher.
Maverick did a great job - it’s a much more laid back approach than Centurion which has its upsides and downsides.

Really pleased to have done it and highly recommend but certain not for the faint hearted!

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
Exmoor Report:

‘That was f***ing brutal’ - seemed to sum up the popular view, it was certainly a phrase heard several times at the finish.

However, the course was absolutely stunning, cliff edge paths, ancient forest, an enchanting river lined with waterfalls and spectacular moorlands. This though came at a price - 2500m elevation in 36 miles. It wasn’t just the elevation though, it was the steepness (both up and down) that was an absolute killer. If you know the climb at the start of 13 the Hard Way, like that but steeper and about eight climbs to negotiate. Some of it was steps, some shale, some just a straight near vertical path. Most of the course also needed extreme concentration as the rocky paths were easy to trip on and in some case then fall off a cliff!
I made it but by the end was absolutely shattered. Friends I was with who had previous done London to Brighton, SDW50, Jurassic and Beachy all said this was a lot, lot tougher.
Maverick did a great job - it’s a much more laid back approach than Centurion which has its upsides and downsides.

Really pleased to have done it and highly recommend but certain not for the faint hearted!

Terrific!

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Sounds a good weekend away [MENTION=26634]Simgull[/MENTION] Well done for getting the job done.

Now you can see why we chose it for Nepalese trekking training.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Fantastical! Ben Nevis and Snowdon both from sea level [MENTION=26634]Simgull[/MENTION]
Just seen that climb taking you to the 20 mile mark was equivalent to half way up Snowdon

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Anyone else keeping an eye on the 'Suffolk Backyard Ultra' ? Based on the popular US format, but this is reaching whole new levels of stupidness. Laps of just over 4 miles, must be started on the hour and completed within an hour. Only one finisher - last man standing wins.

Two guys have been locked together for about 2 days now (race started at noon on SATURDAY), and are currently out on 'Yard 73' (so now over 4 days and 300 miles without stopping/sleeping)

https://www.facebook.com/ChallengeRunning/

*Gullsworth*

My Hair is like his hair
Jan 20, 2006
West...West.......WEST SUSSEX
Anyone else keeping an eye on the 'Suffolk Backyard Ultra' ? Based on the popular US format, but this is reaching whole new levels of stupidness. Laps of just over 4 miles, must be started on the hour and completed within an hour. Only one finisher - last man standing wins.

Two guys have been locked together for about 2 days now (race started at noon on SATURDAY), and are currently out on 'Yard 73' (so now over 4 days and 300 miles without stopping/sleeping)

https://www.facebook.com/ChallengeRunning/

Wow race has finished now. Bit sketchy on the result but over 80 yards (laps) completed smashing the old record by 4 or 5 laps? Anyone work out how many miles that was completed?

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Wow race has finished now. Bit sketchy on the result but over 80 yards (laps) completed smashing the old record by 4 or 5 laps? Anyone work out how many miles that was completed?

Winner John Stocker completed 81 yards, covering 337.51 miles in 63 hours, 47 minutes and 23 seconds :eek:

He ran the 141-mile Grand Union Canal the week before, too! Absolutely mind-blowing performance to have that level of determination.

Mr Blobby

Jul 14, 2003
In a cave
Afternoon all

Not been on here for ages again. I think since I last posted I have taken on two Ultra's. The first was the SDW50 on the 17th April. It was a brilliant event with the Aid stations being fab despite the Covid restrictions. The rolling start meant we spent long periods of time not seeing many other runners. I was concerned about the 13 hour cut off time limit but my running buddy had more faith in me than I did. I had a bit of a wobble after 20 miles, just after Ditchling Beacon, as the prospect of another 30 miles and hill after hill had me doubting myself. My mate talked me through it and once we passed the half way aid station started to feel much more positive. The hill behind the Long Man of Wilmington was brutal and the one at Jevington just cruel, but we ploughed on and I was delighted to finish in 11 hours 37 minutes 280/332 who finished. The post run coffee and CHAIR was so so welcome. The finish lap at Eastbourne Athletics club will stay with me for a long time. The large portion of chips covered in salt and vinegar as we got driven home tasted rather good! The 6,506 feet of climbing "pain" kinda disappeared :)

https://www.strava.com/activities/5143997177

SO time to rest, but then the Devil's Lite 50k Ultra came up and 5 of us from my running club thought - well why not. It was from Steyning to Clayton and back (mostly on the SDW) and was tough as on the 28th May it was a little warm. We were using it as part of the RTTS 100k training, so I was also running it without any taper. In fact over 13 days I did 2 x marathons and this ultra. I flagged badly on the return leg, the smelly pigs where extra smelly as we trudged along, boy was I glad to finish. Official time was 7.07 107/200 who finished. It was a great event especially as was free to enter, but the 4,308 feet of hills really hurt this time.

https://www.strava.com/activities/5377679319

So just one more ultra to go in this summer madness, its RTTS on the 10th July. Then it will be a few weeks off before preparing for Brighton, Manchester and Dublin marathons in September/October.

Happy running all.

D

Deleted member 2719

Winner John Stocker completed 81 yards, covering 337.51 miles in 63 hours, 47 minutes and 23 seconds :eek:

He ran the 141-mile Grand Union Canal the week before, too! Absolutely mind-blowing performance to have that level of determination.
I would absolutely murder him over the real 81 yds (74.0664 metres), and I would be giving away 16 years.:lolol:

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
Afternoon all

Not been on here for ages again. I think since I last posted I have taken on two Ultra's. The first was the SDW50 on the 17th April. It was a brilliant event with the Aid stations being fab despite the Covid restrictions. The rolling start meant we spent long periods of time not seeing many other runners. I was concerned about the 13 hour cut off time limit but my running buddy had more faith in me than I did. I had a bit of a wobble after 20 miles, just after Ditchling Beacon, as the prospect of another 30 miles and hill after hill had me doubting myself. My mate talked me through it and once we passed the half way aid station started to feel much more positive. The hill behind the Long Man of Wilmington was brutal and the one at Jevington just cruel, but we ploughed on and I was delighted to finish in 11 hours 37 minutes 280/332 who finished. The post run coffee and CHAIR was so so welcome. The finish lap at Eastbourne Athletics club will stay with me for a long time. The large portion of chips covered in salt and vinegar as we got driven home tasted rather good! The 6,506 feet of climbing "pain" kinda disappeared :)

SO time to rest, but then the Devil's Lite 50k Ultra came up and 5 of us from my running club thought - well why not. It was from Steyning to Clayton and back (mostly on the SDW) and was tough as on the 28th May it was a little warm. We were using it as part of the RTTS 100k training, so I was also running it without any taper. In fact over 13 days I did 2 x marathons and this ultra. I flagged badly on the return leg, the smelly pigs where extra smelly as we trudged along, boy was I glad to finish. Official time was 7.07 107/200 who finished. It was a great event especially as was free to enter, but the 4,308 feet of hills really hurt this time.

So just one more ultra to go in this summer madness, its RTTS on the 10th July. Then it will be a few weeks off before preparing for Brighton, Manchester and Dublin marathons in September/October.

Happy running all.

Respect. 👍

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Afternoon all

Happy running all.

Nice work, Mr B. I think I'm going to have to get myself involved in these ultras. After reading about SDW50, the 100k the other weekend and now the Devil's Lite there are too many to avoid! I love the SDW, so it would be rude not to spend a bit more time on there. Apart from the stretch between the River Adur and the YHA, which I seem to cover most weeks at some point!

Good luck for RTTS and for the marathons. I'm in for one of STE's 5in5 later this month and I did see that Downland Challenge/13 The Hard Way is in the planning for August...

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Afternoon all

Happy running all.

Absolute respect to you Sir. This truly is insane.

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
Nice work, Mr B. I think I'm going to have to get myself involved in these ultras. After reading about SDW50, the 100k the other weekend and now the Devil's Lite there are too many to avoid! I love the SDW, so it would be rude not to spend a bit more time on there. Apart from the stretch between the River Adur and the YHA, which I seem to cover most weeks at some point!

Good luck for RTTS and for the marathons. I'm in for one of STE's 5in5 later this month and I did see that Downland Challenge/13 The Hard Way is in the planning for August...

Well done [MENTION=474]Mr Blobby[/MENTION] - tremendous running.

13 Hard Way is a great race, I’ll enter that one I think.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Great effort [MENTION=474]Mr Blobby[/MENTION] hope we can all meet up with our new Ultras July 7 for the Weakest Link Relay.
Saw your work colleague [MENTION=3975]ben[/MENTION]elton’s brother last week and covid meant it was so long since I’d seen him I couldn’t get his name out from the depths of my mind in time. My eventual Oi shout was greeted with a wave.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here