Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Official Running Thread

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
My first post on this thread - any recommendations? I've got a treadmill coming next week (Technogym Myrun) to my brand new home gym which I'm very excited about, but I feel like I've always underinvested in my running shoes as I've tended to focus on weight training rather than cardio.

In particular, probably due to my poor running technique, I have a tendency to twinge the outside of my right knee (iliotibial band I believe) so anything that's going to give me some extra protection (from myself) on that front would be appreciated.

I would typically say don't take recommendations because what is right for one runner isn't for another. But having had previous experience of:

Nike returns are exceptional, so you can buy something, give it a go, and if it's not working for you, they'll give you a full refund.

I would say go for it!

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Thanks for the info and recommendations [MENTION=6886]Bozza[/MENTION] and [MENTION=15605]knocky1[/MENTION] - much appreciated gents.

I feel like I should probably go for a really decent, reasonably priced shoe like those linked above (I'd seen the Pegasus ones previously), but I can hear the voice of my inner, excitable child telling me to go out and buy the bright orange, super-fast Vaporfly's because they're so f**king cool on every level.

I guess it comes down to whether they'll last me. I'm planning on doing between 30km and 40km per week, a mixture of road and treadmill. At £170 they seem a steal, but is this just a clever ploy to get me hooked on running shoe crack that I'm going to have to replenish every four or five months?

I bought a pair, possibly two months or so ago now, and I've not worn them once yet.

They feel a bit overkill, as I don't enter races, but I kept them for the odd day when I fancy trying for a fast time or PB as they are a racing shoe. I'm also pretty hard-wearing on my shoes as I'm quite a heavy runner, so I know I'll put wear on them pretty quickly.

I have seen various reviews from people who have worn them for training and got a lot of miles out of them, but still as part of a rotation with other shoes. As great as they are, I'm not sure they should really be your only pair - if that's what you were suggesting - although primarily for financial reasons!

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Today is a strava segment/PB busting day..........as long as you're going in the right direction :)

Yesterday afternoon I went out on the trails and up to Chanctonbury Ring. The wind was so strong that I was genuinely struggling to breathe for a short period. The wind was gusting across me, and it just didn't feel as though I could get enough air into my mouth/lungs. It was really unpleasant!

Then I turned into the wind and it started raining, which really bloody stung!

The wind is even stronger today - it's a day to go down to Worthing seafront, somewhere around Goring, and let the wind blow you to a 5km PB somewhere in East Worthing!

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Thanks for the info and recommendations [MENTION=6886]Bozza[/MENTION] and [MENTION=15605]knocky1[/MENTION] - much appreciated gents.

I feel like I should probably go for a really decent, reasonably priced shoe like those linked above (I'd seen the Pegasus ones previously), but I can hear the voice of my inner, excitable child telling me to go out and buy the bright orange, super-fast Vaporfly's because they're so f**king cool on every level.

I guess it comes down to whether they'll last me. I'm planning on doing between 30km and 40km per week, a mixture of road and treadmill. At £170 they seem a steal, but is this just a clever ploy to get me hooked on running shoe crack that I'm going to have to replenish every four or five months?

They’re not really built for 30-40km per week.....more for racing really. Suspect you’ll wear them out very quickly (although not on a treadmill I guess). The carbon-plated racing shoes are a harsh ride in my experience, so probably won’t be great if you’re already having what might be ITB issues. If you’re about to up your mileage I would go for some type of ‘stability’ shoe for most of your running. Better still, get to a running shop and let them have a look at your gait before you buy - it’s invaluable and will very likely help prevent injury.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Yesterday afternoon I went out on the trails and up to Chanctonbury Ring. The wind was so strong that I was genuinely struggling to breathe for a short period. The wind was gusting across me, and it just didn't feel as though I could get enough air into my mouth/lungs. It was really unpleasant!

Then I turned into the wind and it started raining, which really bloody stung!

The wind is even stronger today - it's a day to go down to Worthing seafront, somewhere around Goring, and let the wind blow you to a 5km PB somewhere in East Worthing!

I did a steady loop this morning.......half of it was as you describe - struggling to breathe. The other half felt like barely jogging. The pace was the same though :)

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I did a steady loop this morning.......half of it was as you describe - struggling to breathe. The other half felt like barely jogging. The pace was the same though :)

I might have been misinterpreted! It wasn't the effort of running against the wind, it was blowing directly across me at the time, but it felt as if the air was going by so fast I just couldn't gulp enough of it in. Difficult to describe, and I've never experienced it before!

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I might have been misinterpreted! It wasn't the effort of running against the wind, it was blowing directly across me at the time, but it felt as if the air was going by so fast I just couldn't gulp enough of it in. Difficult to describe, and I've never experienced it before!

I don't run that fast so wouldn't know :)
I find breathing when running into a strong wind really difficult

Artie Fufkin

like to run
Mar 30, 2008
out running
https://blog.parkrun.com/uk/2021/05/21/parkrun-to-delay-restart-of-5k-events-in-england/
Sensible delay to opening.
Landowners slow to give permission. This is list of those ready to start https://blog.parkrun.com/uk/2021/04/30/current-landowner-permissions/

The list highlights the problem of partial restarts. None yet given go ahead in Brighton&Hove could lead to thousands turning up in Peacehaven which has landowner permission to start.

It's a shame but understandable Gaffer. My closest parkrun (that has received permission from the landowner) is Aldenham which is a lovely small woodland trail parkrun that only gets about 150 runners on a good day. If they went ahead as planned they would have probably had half of Herts-based parkrunners flock to it and they wouldn't have been able to cope.

What's up with Worthing?! :lol:

Artie Fufkin

like to run
Mar 30, 2008
out running

Investing in a decent pair of running shoes is definitely the way to go and as dazzer suggests, I recommend trying to get to a running store to get your gait analysed. They'll film your foot landing (pronation) as you run on the treadmill and advise if you're best to go for a neutral or support/stability shoe. Picking the right shoe according to your pronation will help prevent overuse injuries.

£170 for the Nike Vaporfly NEXT% is an absolute bargain. Hands down the best road racing shoe on the market at the moment. It has a carbon fibre plate so it takes a bit of time getting used to running in them and I wouldn't recommend it as a every day road shoe. It's not really meant to be a daily trainer to log lots of miles in. Nike have the Pegasus, Vomero, Infinity, Invincible and Tempo NEXT% line ups as their more durable neutral daily trainers that can do a bit of everything.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
What's up with Worthing?! :lol:

That could be a thread starter.😁

Do you mean the 10k? They heard about your calf, didn’t want to have it without the returning local hero, so moved it to October.

Brighton Phoenix 10k July 14th will have a few of us running and having a few beers after.

My summer focus is for a 5:49 mile(80%AG), a decent 5k effort and full effort at the Phoenix.
🏊*♂️ 🚴*♂️ will dominate trainining hours. Looking forward to it.

Anyone interested there is a free magic mile race Preston Park on Wednesday evening. Let me know and I’ll provide the link.

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
That could be a thread starter.😁

Do you mean the 10k? They heard about your calf, didn’t want to have it without the returning local hero, so moved it to October.

Brighton Phoenix 10k July 14th will have a few of us running and having a few beers after.

My summer focus is for a 5:49 mile(80%AG), a decent 5k effort and full effort at the Phoenix.
🏊*♂️ 🚴*♂️ will dominate trainining hours. Looking forward to it.

Anyone interested there is a free magic mile race Preston Park on Wednesday evening. Let me know and I’ll provide the link.

Yes please for the Magic Mile. May as well have a beer after 5/6 minutes of running.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Get on Facebook to this PPMM page and stick your name down. On day 140 alcohol free not sure of beer. Will need a good time!

C9F31EF0-5692-4025-B95C-4A3A81DC75CF.jpeg

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
I’ve registered before, so I have a number (would need to find it though). I’m not on Facebook, so is there another way of entering next week?

Your chauffeur will do it for you but you could probably just turn up anyway.
Not sure I’ll be ready. Comped didn’t react well. Running a sockless 10k on double cycling blisters was stupid if I was going to lose by 2 seconds anyway. Still 5 days might be enough.

9E76163A-5715-481D-A61C-46EBB03C81ED.jpeg

ForestRowSeagull

Jan 6, 2011
Now Brixton
I broke my toe playing cricket about a month ago so have been trying to manage that with various short 2 milers. Pain seems to come and go, but definitely feeling a lot better. Managed first longer (8k) run yesterday evening. Very unfit but good to be back!

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Pretty sure I saw Bozza enjoying his slightly rainy run by the Lamb park earlier ! That did not look fun

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Really sad news about Ron Hill and the Chinese Ultra runners. A real mixed weekend because that news coincided with loads of races (NDW 50, Three Forts and others) meaning it was almost like back to normal (despite the rain).

I ran a half comprising two loops of the YHA on the SDW and then really struggled to knock out four miles this morning. Old man fatigue is kicking in more and more these days...

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here