Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] OFFICIAL MATCH THREAD: Albion vs Newcastle - PL Summer Series - 28th July 2023

HeaviestTed

I’m eating
NSC Patron
Mar 23, 2023
Exactly this.

I imagine the “Chelsea fans” who are frothing at the gash are the same ones from Delhi and Lagos who can’t understand why we’re not just selling them a player for peanuts, the same ones who have no clue that Chelsea had a spell playing in front of 8000 people and five bright blue Trabants in Division 2 before the filthy Russian money came along.
I completely agree with this but please, for the love of god don’t use “frothing at the gash” and Chelsea supporters this early in the morning, it has put me off my breakfast

HeaviestTed

I’m eating
NSC Patron
Mar 23, 2023
One very positive development is that you can’t open tweets anymore unless you have an account (I don’t and never have). The only downside is I used to look at the team news on the Brighton Twitter site. Do they release it anywhere else ? Perhaps @Bozza can persuade the club to first release it on NSC instead ?
My Albion app is good for news

TottonSeagull

Mar 5, 2011
Totton (Nr Southampton)
Not sure what all the doom and gloom is on here. It's PRE season games!! These are used for match fitness. I thought we looked excellent in all of the games in the first half. Massive changes is what these games are for and the team was unrecognisable by end of the match against the Geordies.
All in all, can't wait till the season starts!!

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
Been an excellent few friendlies I think. In all the games we've looked the better team before the wealth of changes has disrupted the flow. Joao Pedro, Adingra and Dahoud all appear to be superb additions. Van Hecke continues to develop. Gilmour will get better and better. Verbruggen was pretty much flawless against Newcastle and looks like he'll instil more confidence than Sanchez. A couple of young players made a good impression. If we can add a right-back, get competition for Estupinan and resolve the Caicedo issue satisfactorily then the future's very bright indeed.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
I've not read this thread, but I saw the final score on 'X' and the comments about it on that particular cesspit of doom were a mixture of gloom and moaning from Brighton fans and bizarre gloating from Newcastle and Chelsea 'fans'.

I get that a defeat is never nice to see, but it's a pre-season friendly, FFS! Take away all the Premier League branding, the razzmatazz around the games and tour and the desperate attempts by broadcasters to make it appear like ACTUAL PL matches with some kind of importance are being played in the US and it's just important minutes for players. Whether they are definite starters, on the fringes of the squad, or set to go out on loan, the players demonstrating to the manager what they can do and how they play is whole point of these games, not to make sure you get the win and an Ashley Barnes three points!

This whole 'Summer Series' pantomime has seemingly been swallowed hook, line and sinker by some fans, which must be a dream to the League's marketing department. Play out the exact same match behind closed doors at the training ground and the exercise would be the same, just with far less frothing from both sides.
Agree with one proviso. I think the US aspect and playing in big grounds in front of some decent crowds has been a good thing. Added a bit more bite than the usual pre-season fare. It's natural that players are going to up their game a bit in those circumstances.

Mancgull

Nov 28, 2011
Astley, Manchester
Dahoud looks like he will fit into our style very well. His ability to take the ball on the turn is amazing and if we keep Moises I can see them making a great partnership. He has a bit of edge too.
Was also very impressed by Bart last night. His passing is very good and he made some excellent stops.
Mitoma looked more of a threat.
To have the ability to bring on Adingra and JOao Pedro is a game changer.
On the Undav debate, with Enciso, Lallana and Goodnight as potential number tens and JP, Welbeck and Ferguson as CFs, he’s not going to get much game time.
It’s defence where we have the issue. Let’s hope Dunk and Webster are fit come 12th August.

ozzygull

Oct 6, 2003
Reading
I quit Twitter last year and there is not a single thing I miss.
Yes it was not healthy for me, I had not used much before but found I was getting angry about the constant sh*t posted on it under anything Brighton posted. So I have deactivated it and now much feel better. I will wait until the things appear on here.

NSC feels like a place of sanity and tranquility in comparison.

Also on reflection and after a sleep, I am beyond excited about next season, some of the football we played over this friendly series has be mind blowing and beautiful.

I was in Milan for a couple days this week, I felt like hugging every Italian for giving us RDZ. In fact when I was getting the Taxi back to the airport yesterday we drove past the San Siro, the taxi driver asked if I liked football, so I said “Yes, I support Brighton” and he exclaimed “Roberto De Zerbi, Yes I know Brighton they play great football, No” Genuinely does everyone on here not have to pinch themselves sometimes to make sure this is real.

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
Yes it was not healthy for me, I had not used much before but found I was getting angry about the constant sh*t posted on it under anything Brighton posted. So I have deactivated it and now much feel better. I will wait until the things appear on here.

Also on reflection and after a sleep, I am beyond excited about next season, some of the football we played over this friendly series has be mind blowing and beautiful.

I was in Milan for a couple days this week, I felt like hugging every Italian for giving us RDZ. In fact when I was getting the Taxi back to the airport yesterday we drove past the San Siro, the taxi driver asked if I liked football, so I said “Yes, I support Brighton” and he exclaimed “Roberto De Zerbi, Yes I know Brighton they play great football, No” Genuinely does everyone on here not have to pinch themselves sometimes to make sure this is real.

I've been teaching Italian teenagers at Worcester Uni this summer and the football fans amongst them are all well aware of Brighton. Not long ago we wouldn't have been on their radar at all. There was even one girl whose grandad was an Albion fan. Downside was her dad was Palace.

el punal

I’m surprised the taxi driver didn’t praise you for having ‘the hot blood, the big heart, and the ballz - the big ballz’! :lolol:

Berty23

Jun 26, 2012
The first Newcastle goal reminded me of the days of league 2. At least in the prem VAR would have disallowed it!

Better side for the match against Brentford, until the red card vs Chelsea and then before we put kids on vs Newcastle. Good run out!

Absolutely no idea what our best side is.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
One very positive development is that you can’t open tweets anymore unless you have an account (I don’t and never have). The only downside is I used to look at the team news on the Brighton Twitter site. Do they release it anywhere else ? Perhaps @Bozza can persuade the club to first release it on NSC instead ?
You need to be in a whatsapp group with @Frutos :wink:

GrossTurn

Jun 20, 2020
Hate smug Eddie, but it was only kids playing at the back. We need Dunky back soon.
All just feels a bit weird/wrong without Dunky’s towering presence at the back, doesn’t it?

Conversely, it is encouraging to see us still dominating possession and orchestrating play from the back in our usual manner (for the most part) in his absence.

Eric the meek

Fiveways Wilf
NSC Patron
Aug 24, 2020
Better side for the match against Brentford, until the red card vs Chelsea and then before we put kids on vs Newcastle. Good run out!

Absolutely no idea what our best side is.
A succinct summary of the three games, which augurs well for the season. Get the red card out of the way, and give the kids a run out when it doesn't matter.

We'll have a better idea of our best side next Sunday, injuries permitting.

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería

Install the Albion app. Or just open the NSC match thread one hour before kick off.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
I've been teaching Italian teenagers at Worcester Uni this summer and the football fans amongst them are all well aware of Brighton. Not long ago we wouldn't have been on their radar at all. There was even one girl whose grandad was an Albion fan. Downside was her dad was Palace.
If that is the patriarchal line then that's messed up!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here