Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] OFFICIAL MATCH THREAD: Albion vs Newcastle - PL Summer Series - 28th July 2023

BRIGHT ON Q

Jul 5, 2003
Obviously a lot of the youngsters that came on will be in the 21s or on loan..but I'd definitely loan out Ayari and Buonaotte. They need to get up to speed in terms of pace and physicality.
The squad is big enough to loan them out.
Where would we send Buonantte? He doesn't even like Brighton in the winter

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Dahoud I think, after a few games, will look better than Mac.
He just needs need a haircut, some dye, and designer stubble.

Still not quite sure about Van Hecke but with the Brazilian guy coming there shouldn’t be too much pressure on him this season, the usual cup games and so on

Shuggie

Sep 19, 2003
East Sussex coast
Just got back to hotel - that was a thoroughly enjoyable evening and astonished to see a sprinkling of doom and foreboding on here. The Geordies around me were miserable as f for the first hour. Champions League? You’re having a laugh! Is schadenfreude appropriate at a friendly? You bet your goddam ass it is !! Shame the freude ended up on the other foot though. Having said that, their most creative players all wore blue and white which augurs well for a couple of weeks time. No way will we be that fragile with the first choice defence.

Many Ecuadoreans there tonight who loved seeing their heroes. Similarly a few Japanese. Everyone went home with a smile in their face.

Cheer up fellas, it really was just a pre-season game.

1690600584424.jpeg

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
Just got back to hotel - that was a thoroughly enjoyable evening and astonished to see a sprinkling of doom and foreboding on here. The Geordies around me were miserable as f for the first hour. Champions League? You’re having a laugh! Is schadenfreude appropriate at a friendly? You bet your goddam ass it is !! Shame the freude ended up on the other foot though. Having said that, their most creative players all wore blue and white which augurs well for a couple of weeks time. No way will we be that fragile with the first choice defence.

Many Ecuadoreans there tonight who loved seeing their heroes. Similarly a few Japanese. Everyone went home with a smile in their face.

Cheer up fellas, it really was just a pre-season game.

View attachment 164248
Our first team out played Newcastle and our youth got some minutes. An enjoyable game to watch with some decent entertainment.

Many reasons to be cheerful.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
I've not read this thread, but I saw the final score on 'X' and the comments about it on that particular cesspit of doom were a mixture of gloom and moaning from Brighton fans and bizarre gloating from Newcastle and Chelsea 'fans'.

I get that a defeat is never nice to see, but it's a pre-season friendly, FFS! Take away all the Premier League branding, the razzmatazz around the games and tour and the desperate attempts by broadcasters to make it appear like ACTUAL PL matches with some kind of importance are being played in the US and it's just important minutes for players. Whether they are definite starters, on the fringes of the squad, or set to go out on loan, the players demonstrating to the manager what they can do and how they play is whole point of these games, not to make sure you get the win and an Ashley Barnes three points!

This whole 'Summer Series' pantomime has seemingly been swallowed hook, line and sinker by some fans, which must be a dream to the League's marketing department. Play out the exact same match behind closed doors at the training ground and the exercise would be the same, just with far less frothing from both sides.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
I've not read this thread, but I saw the final score on 'X' and the comments about it on that particular cesspit of doom were a mixture of gloom and moaning from Brighton fans and bizarre gloating from Newcastle and Chelsea 'fans'.

I get that a defeat is never nice to see, but it's a pre-season friendly, FFS! Take away all the Premier League branding, the razzmatazz around the games and tour and the desperate attempts by broadcasters to make it appear like ACTUAL PL matches with some kind of importance are being played in the US and it's just important minutes for players. Whether they are definite starters, on the fringes of the squad, or set to go out on loan, the players demonstrating to the manager what they can do and how they play is whole point of these games, not to make sure you get the win and an Ashley Barnes three points!

This whole 'Summer Series' pantomime has seemingly been swallowed hook, line and sinker by some fans, which must be a dream to the League's marketing department. Play out the exact same match behind closed doors at the training ground and the exercise would be the same, just with far less frothing from both sides.
Exactly this.

I imagine the “Chelsea fans” who are frothing at the gash are the same ones from Delhi and Lagos who can’t understand why we’re not just selling them a player for peanuts, the same ones who have no clue that Chelsea had a spell playing in front of 8000 people and five bright blue Trabants in Division 2 before the filthy Russian money came along.

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
Ayari is light years away from the required standard, as is Turns. Both need to go out on loan, pronto. With the exception of Verbruggen, none of the kids look capable of playing out of the press in and around our area.

On the plus side tonight, Van Hecke looked decent as did Verbruggen but I think we miss MacAllister's dead ball ability and incisiveness. Dahoud is not going to give us any goal production, Ayari and Lallana won't be the answer either.
Agree with most of that other than Lallana. That guy makes us tick like no other player

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
The person whose opinion matters seemed pretty happy overall!

Seems the Amex friendly will be played with the first game of the season in mind, which was not the case with the last 20 mins of that annoying but unimportant defeat last night. RDZ will have a clear idea of who is in contention to make the final squad now. Milner, Dunk and Solly could all be back.

I enjoyed watching all three games and they were the most competitive I’ve ever seen for Albion pre season friendlies :thumbsup:

El Turi

Injured
Aug 13, 2005
Argentina
I know it would never happen but I’d prefer to see us not playing friendlies against sportwashing teams like Newcastle.

Taybha

Whalewhine
Oct 8, 2008
Uwantsumorwat
Watched all 3 of the Summer series games and I thought it was a excellent work out for the squad,it certainly had a more edge to the games than the usual pre season friendlies,fingers crossed Dunky will be fit for Luton,just so good to see Tariq back on the grass.
Won't be long now 😁

HeaviestTed

I’m eating
NSC Patron
Mar 23, 2023
They won’t see it though, too stupid.

in fact I am going to remove twitter as I think it is killing my intellect as I can’t help read the comments under Brighton tweets as it over run with brain dead Chelsea plastics.
I quit Twitter last year and there is not a single thing I miss.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
I quit Twitter last year and there is not a single thing I miss.
One very positive development is that you can’t open tweets anymore unless you have an account (I don’t and never have). The only downside is I used to look at the team news on the Brighton Twitter site. Do they release it anywhere else ? Perhaps @Bozza can persuade the club to first release it on NSC instead ?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here