Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

O'Callaghan let go

Was their a huge line of teams trying to sign Zamora when we got him?

Just because nobody else is trying to sign him does not mean he is not quality.

Look at how well we were doing when he was here and contrast it to how we have done since...

It just lacks class to start slagging someone off just cos they chose not to sign for us.

Using Zamora is a bollocks example Richie and you know it. When we went in for him he was unknown in Bristol Rovers reserves, and about 18. G O'C is 28, and has been at Ipswich for years and has played for them a few times for people to know who he is. He's also played enough games on loan at other clubs to have attracted the attention of every club in the country, if he was good enough. Which he isn't.

Before anyone accuses me of a lack of class slagging a player that has left or decided not to join us, I was slagging him well before he left. I thought he was a showboating lazy twat. He did f*** all for the team, and caused nothing but problems with his gob. I'm not surprised that no one else here wants him. He's more trouble than he's worth.

SICKASAGULL

Aug 26, 2007
O`Callaghan let go

It was obvious that O`Callaghan like many supporters realised that Knights last minute contracts policy was going to cost us the chance of remaining in the the group who could gain promotion. It led to three players leaving and also the possibility that Hammond will go.Vital points were lost and although Richards has returned it now looks as if we will remain in this poor league

Scotty Mac

Jul 13, 2003
simple way to look at it really - how SHIT have we been since he went. long ball football compared to the decent passing game we played before

he simply came out and said that the club needed to buck its ideas up with regards to sorting out contracts - which is looking like its true. we have lost bertin, savage AND him in six months, and could be about to lose our captain as well. i have no doubts though that knight will manage to blame it on an agent again, despite the fact he IS our captain and has never played for anyone else

a little bit of criticism and he is gone - our loss, and unless thomson manages to fit in as smoothly as o'callaghan did then i reckon we will end up looking back at the moment he left as the moment our season fell apart

Scotty Mac

Jul 13, 2003
Maybe in the case of Hammond, Bas and George, the answer is the same ... they are all over-valuing themselves.

and bertin

one or two players over valuing themselves is understandable, but when it is FOUR players in the space of six months then perhaps it is not always the players at fault as we are lead to believe

saltash seagull

Mar 1, 2004
cornwall
Was their a huge line of teams trying to sign Zamora when we got him?

Just because nobody else is trying to sign him does not mean he is not quality.
it's hardly the same is it

bobbu was an 18 year old trying to make his way in the game,george is 28 and by the sounds o it his best spell in the english game was with us as didnt o much at vale or ipswich!

saltash seagull

Mar 1, 2004
cornwall
Using Zamora is a bollocks example Richie and you know it. When we went in for him he was unknown in Bristol Rovers reserves, and about 18. G O'C is 28, and has been at Ipswich for years and has played for them a few times for people to know who he is. He's also played enough games on loan at other clubs to have attracted the attention of every club in the country, if he was good enough. Which he isn't.

Before anyone accuses me of a lack of class slagging a player that has left or decided not to join us, I was slagging him well before he left. I thought he was a showboating lazy twat. He did f*** all for the team, and caused nothing but problems with his gob. I'm not surprised that no one else here wants him. He's more trouble than he's worth.
apart from the bit about his gob i agree with just about all of that

ver overrated by many on here,talented but bough very little to the team that really.gave the ball away time after time in stupid positions putting us under pressure

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
When he was good, he was pretty damn good and one of the best around, but that didn't happen nearly often enough. A decent player who could do a job, but over-rated, and prone to some schoolboy howlers.

It matters not one jot as to the vague opinion whether he was right about the contract negotiations or not - one, it's none of his business, and two, it's none of our business. His festering trap got him into more trouble than his brainless 'stamp' ever could.

Definitely replaceable.

saltash seagull

Mar 1, 2004
cornwall
When he was good, he was pretty damn good and one of the best around, but that didn't happen nearly often enough. A decent player who could do a job, but over-rated, and prone to some schoolboy howlers.

It matters not one jot as to the vague opinion whether he was right about the contract negotiations or not - one, it's none of his business, and two, it's none of our business. His festering trap got him into more trouble than his brainless 'stamp' ever could.

Definitely replaceable.
spot on there tlo

bhadeb

Jan 11, 2008
Why has it always got to be the players overating themselves - maybe sometimes but i can't believe it with everyone - i think at the end of the day dick hasn't got the money and doesn't want anyone to invest until he has walked out at falmer - he just wants to call all the shots at the club

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
I always rated O'Callaghan, above all for his ability to put his foot on the ball, look up and take the time to play it to feet. Admitted, he did have a tendency to give away possession cheaply at times, and worse still, then go and blame someone else each time he gave possesssion away.

Personally I always felt he looked frustrasted with the lack of movement around him, especially from Bas.

Not going to comment on the personal stuff with the club as I doubt the whole truth will ever emerge there.

In plain football terms, I believe we miss him.

Scotty Mac

Jul 13, 2003
Why has it always got to be the players overating themselves - maybe sometimes but i can't believe it with everyone - i think at the end of the day dick hasn't got the money and doesn't want anyone to invest until he has walked out at falmer - he just wants to call all the shots at the club

not sure about the last part to be honest, but i agree with the principle. four key players have not signed. two at the most and you could blame the agents, but when it is four then there is something more to it

Mr Burns

Aug 25, 2003
Springfield

I think you've hit the nail on the head there.

We've seen two players go, both of which haven't found English clubs. Some on here may think they are brilliant, no one in the football world seems to!

saltash seagull

Mar 1, 2004
cornwall
I think you've hit the nail on the head there.

We've seen two players go, both of which haven't found English clubs. Some on here may think they are brilliant, no one in the football world seems to!
either that or maybe they are after silly money

if george is gonna play for a club on the cheap it's gonna be cork as he obviously loves the team and the place

andybaha

Jan 3, 2007
Piddinghoe
one or two players over valuing themselves is understandable, but when it is FOUR players in the space of six months then perhaps it is not always the players at fault as we are lead to believe[/QUOTE]

Have a look at who the players are. Bas, George and Bertin have been snapped up by who? Well no-one actually. And as someone said previously the clubs serious about promotion - Swansea, Leeds and Forest are not exactly breaking the bank to sign Hammond, neither are any decent Championship clubs.

So I would say the Albion's valuation of these players is pretty much in line with the other clubs.

Mr Burns

Aug 25, 2003
Springfield
one or two players over valuing themselves is understandable, but when it is FOUR players in the space of six months then perhaps it is not always the players at fault as we are lead to believe

Have a look at who the players are. Bas, George and Bertin have been snapped up by who? Well no-one actually. And as someone said previously the clubs serious about promotion - Swansea, Leeds and Forest are not exactly breaking the bank to sign Hammond, neither are any decent Championship clubs.

So I would say the Albion's valuation of these players is pretty much in line with the other clubs.
Careful you talk total sense, and not many on here like to hear the truth.:glare:

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
He was like a shit, less intelligent Mark Yeates

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
and bertin

Where are Bertin, O'Callaghan and Savage now. Obscurity in France, going back to Cork and without a club. I think that is your answer.

Simon Morgan

Oct 30, 2004
Oxford
It's amazing how the general consensus on a player changes as soon as he left, I don't remember this much abuse to GOC when he was still here. I find it frightening how blindly people will support the club in every decision they make.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here