Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

O'Callaghan let go

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
DK said the Ipswich chairman rang to apologise for O'Callaghan's outburst. The next thing is that Ipswich have let him go.

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
And a month on, having lost 2 players (plus George himself), and with a long list of those out of contract in the summer, he's kinda looking right!

No, he's not looking at all right. The debate was never about whether what he said is correct (although I think it is far from proven that he was correct). The debate is/was whether it was any of his business (having obviously decided he was not going to sign for us) to go on the radio and say what he did. You might think he was standing up for the other players but my view is we had not offered him what he thought he was worth and he was getting his own back on the club and causing trouble.

In my view, even if the whole squad walk out tomorrow due to contract problems, he was still wrong to say what he did. It was none of his business and it unsettled the club at a key stage in the season.

Scotty Mac

Jul 13, 2003
In my view, even if the whole squad walk out tomorrow due to contract problems, he was still wrong to say what he did. It was none of his business and it unsettled the club at a key stage in the season.

the club was always going to be unsettled after that game anyway regardless of if he said it or not - savage chucks his shirt into the crowd, thats one key player gone. richards back to ipswich, and nobody knew at that time if he would return. two key players gone. o'callaghan not knowing if he was coming or going. three key players gone. then factor in the fact that, six months after being offered a deal, club captain hammond has not been signed a contract, so it looks like four key players gone, and i think that is pretty unsettling in itself

not to mention the fact that, if he was speaking for the dressing room, then they would have been unsettled already. all o'callaghan did was put it into the public domain what the players were feeling

Silent Bob

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 6, 2004
the club was always going to be unsettled after that game anyway regardless of if he said it or not - savage chucks his shirt into the crowd, thats one key player gone. richards back to ipswich, and nobody knew at that time if he would return. two key players gone. o'callaghan not knowing if he was coming or going. three key players gone. then factor in the fact that, six months after being offered a deal, club captain hammond has not been signed a contract, so it looks like four key players gone, and i think that is pretty unsettling in itself

not to mention the fact that, if he was speaking for the dressing room, then they would have been unsettled already. all o'callaghan did was put it into the public domain what the players were feeling
Why do people keep mentioning Richards?

He didn't go back because of Dastardly Scrooge Knight's penny pinching, we could not extend his loan any further due to football league rules. Of course nobody knew if he was coming back, why would they? He is a professional footballer, why would he commit himself to us when he may have other better options? Andy Whing did the same and by all accounts he loved it here. And Richards is back now, so the unrest can't be that awful.

Personally I don't think O'Callaghan was ever going to sign for us, the whole time he was here there were rumours about him returning to Ireland. Savage would rather be unemployed, that's his problem. He won't get a deal equal to what he was being offered here, why should we break the bank for him? The same goes for Hammond really although he's much more likely to move on to a bigger contract. But what can we do? Offer him the going rate for middling Championship clubs? We can't afford that, that is all there is to it.

Could it be that Wilkins having seen him play in his system, just did not rate him as highly as he did, before george came.

Taking a new player on is always a bit of a puut and relying on blnd faith for a manager and chanirman.

I have to say that my impression of him was a good technical player who just could not work inside the midfield role that Wilkins wanted him to. With Hammond in the side, he played too deep, he couldn't really run with the ball and beat players so was reliant of movement of the forwards to create space in from of him for him to pass into. When he and hammoind played together he played too deep in front of the back four so usually ended up goinig round in circles when opposing midfielders started pressuriing his posession.

I was never that excited by him

Oct 20, 2004
walsall
not sure about the last part to be honest, but i agree with the principle. four key players have not signed. two at the most and you could blame the agents, but when it is four then there is something more to it

You got that right - we seem to offer contracts to those who are injured and would have been released by any other club.

The money we saved on letting BAS, George and Bertin go, has that gone to cover the contracts given in the past to Mayo, Hart, Blackwell, Oatway, Kitson etc etc. The last three players hardly kicking a ball between them, infact anyone know how many minutes these three made in their last season with us?

Oct 20, 2004
walsall
Originally posted by Scotty Mac
[QUOTE, six months after being offered a deal, club captain hammond has not been signed a contract, so it looks like four key players gone, and i think that is pretty unsettling in itself

Didn't Hammonds agent same something simular to Bas's agent, the offer was a joke! (possibly 2 tanks of petrol, a diet coke and gingsters each time he filled up the car)

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
For fucks sake this is going round in circles. We can't pay players more than we can afford, why don't people get that? We have to assume that all players have been offered the best terms possible, if they still won't accept them then they can find another club. It will mean that we will lose good players, but we are a small club and that's what happens. It's better than having no clubat all to support.

Caveman

Jul 14, 2003
You got that right - we seem to offer contracts to those who are injured and would have been released by any other club.

The money we saved on letting BAS, George and Bertin go, has that gone to cover the contracts given in the past to Mayo, Hart, Blackwell, Oatway, Kitson etc etc. The last three players hardly kicking a ball between them, infact anyone know how many minutes these three made in their last season with us?

The problem being with Kitson he had the potential, if we let him go and he went on to score 20 goals for another team there would have been uproar.

Blackwell was one of the best defenders I have seen at this club for a very long time.

Mayo, Hart and Oatway... well, okay being harsh and hindsight we should have let them go, but you have to have some admiration for loyalty. I'd like to think my/your bosses would show some compassion in this department? ???

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here