Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

O'Callaghan let go

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
That's the thing, I think he DID want to play for us, but wasn't happy with the way the club was pissing everyone around with their contracts (or lack of)

How were we pissing him around. We offered him a permanent contract in August. You may have seen passion from him, I just saw someone who was here to play for himself rather than the team. How many goals did he actually setup?

Silent Bob

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 6, 2004
How were we pissing him around. We offered him a permanent contract in August. You may have seen passion from him, I just saw someone who was here to play for himself rather than the team. How many goals did he actually setup?
O'Callaghan despite his billing as a creative midfield was not really there to set up or score goals. He was an instigator, he got us playing, I think it was largely down to his presence that we got much better passing football in the months when he was here which now seems to have gone again. Hopefully Thompson will have the same impact. George was a good player. However he was also probably not an ideal personality to have around, besides which the return to Ireland always seemed on the cards.

On ability I'd like him here but that's not always the only factor, which is a shame but the club have moved on and so should we.

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
I think he was very much part of the team. He didn't mention the contracts just to sort himself out, he clearly cared about the welfare of the younger players.

I think he was just causing trouble for the club. Knight and Wilkins clearly did not value him as highly as he valued himself and he was using the interview to show his annoyance.

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
O'Callaghan despite his billing as a creative midfield was not really there to set up or score goals. He was an instigator, he got us playing, I think it was largely down to his presence that we got much better passing football in the months when he was here which now seems to have gone again. Hopefully Thompson will have the same impact. George was a good player. However he was also probably not an ideal personality to have around, besides which the return to Ireland always seemed on the cards.

On ability I'd like him here but that's not always the only factor, which is a shame but the club have moved on and so should we.

I agree with that to an extent and a game like Huddersfield we probably did miss him because he would do the unpredictable. However, he also tried clever touches near his own area and gave the ball away in dangerous situations. I am not too worried that he is gone (far better that we kept Richards if offered one of them)

Cian

Jul 16, 2003
Dublin, Ireland
besides which the return to Ireland always seemed on the cards.

There's actually a fairly cynical financial reason this is becoming more and more common for lower league players, the government here gives a massive grant/tax rebate to players that played at least ten years in the eircom League when they retire. George could be trying to rack up his ten years in between possibly higher paying English clubs (Cork are stinkingly rich compared to most eL clubs but when you consider one semi-pro lower league club managed to survive on a wage budget that works out as £1,500 last year...)

He won't be on €100,000; that's for sure.

Brighton Breezy

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
Some people are unbelievable.

He was easily one of the best midfield players we have had at Brighton for years and a class above a lot of players at this level.

It was not too long ago people on here were singing his praises and even suggesting he would make a good captain.

Fair enough, he didn't sign for us but don't pretend we somehow got off lucky. All that does is make people look ridiculously blinkered.

Skaville

Jun 10, 2004
Queens Park

Yep, that about sums it up. He's an Irish Leon Knight.

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
Some people are unbelievable.

He was easily one of the best midfield players we have had at Brighton for years and a class above a lot of players at this level.

It was not too long ago people on here were singing his praises and even suggesting he would make a good captain.

Fair enough, he didn't sign for us but don't pretend we somehow got off lucky. All that does is make people look ridiculously blinkered.

Not really as how do you know that these people are the same as the ones who were praising him. He was a decent midfielder at this level but he played like he thought he was much better than that. My view is that he was using us as a shop window all along and probably had no intention of signing (although I have no proof of that) hence he would not sign permanently in August.

Out of interest, if he is so good why has there been no talk of interest from Leeds, Forest, Swansea etc, the best teams in our league?

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I may be wrong but I was under the impression that he wanted to sign for us in August but his agent talked him out of it.

Perhaps he should sack his agent and act for himself and phone DK .

saltash seagull

Mar 1, 2004
cornwall
if he's as great as that richie why no que of teams fighting for his signature?

He wasn't as great as people make out-he was better than most of what we had/have got but that doesn't necessarily make him good. Other managers must have felt the same because he's been available for a while now and nobody bothered to come in for him-in fact, he was released by his club.

Had some fairly good moments, nothing special but I think Thomson will soon make everybody forget George O'C.

Brighton Breezy

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex

Was their a huge line of teams trying to sign Zamora when we got him?

Just because nobody else is trying to sign him does not mean he is not quality.

Look at how well we were doing when he was here and contrast it to how we have done since...

It just lacks class to start slagging someone off just cos they chose not to sign for us.

bhadeb

Jan 11, 2008
All George did was tell the truth after all said and done - Has Hammonds contract been sorted? Why wasn't something in place sooner rather than later for players like Bas George and Matt? all george did was to tell the truth - he was on the gold dvd that i received before christmas saying that he wanted to stay and he loved it at brighton - all he ever said was things within the club need to be sorted - that proved that with the results over christmas

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here