Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

'Obscure" US TV choices - recommendations please

willyfantastic

Mar 1, 2009
Just started on Breaking Bad on my Netflix free trial, good so far. Looking forward to Alcatraz and Touch, Alcatraz is randomly on Watch though?

Wanna find somewhere to watch the first season of Game of Thrones, any ideas? Looked on Sky Player and Netflix, no luck.

Was looking at seeing if Luck and Friday Night Lights on Sky Atlantic were any good as well.

America make too much good TV!

Alcatraz is OK but not as great as what else is on offer. Worth a watch if you don't have anything else to watch though

one thing i have started to watch (only about 4 episodes in so far) which is starting on Sky Atlantic is Friday night Lights. Kind of one Tree hill-ish but a lot less soppy and I prefer the sport. Also has Minka Kelly in it!!!!!!!!

SULLY COULDNT SHOOT

Loyal2Family+Albion!
Sep 28, 2004
Izmir, Southern Turkey
Have now watched the first two episodes of teh River and Grimm and...

The River - good as its scarier than LOst and has a more central theme but there IS something missing and although Im enjoying got a feeling this wont make it to series 2.

Grimm - another Buffy - Supernatural derivative which takes itself bit more seriously (although the wolfman shows potential!)... well made and enjoyable but quite lightweight like its forbears... will certainly get a second season.

And now I have also found Awake, with Jason Isaacs..... this is very new indeed and has a really wacky theme... police officer who doesnt know when he is awake or dreaming and whether his wife or son survived the car crash... however having a double life seems to help him solve cases. Quite heavy for this genre as you really have to think about some of the psychological issues involved but quite rewrading. Think this one will go the distance but to survive might need some lightening up somewhere.... even Criminal Minds had SOME humour.

Brightonfan1983

Tiny member
Jul 5, 2003
UK
New series of Eastbound and Down started a couple of weeks ago btw, dont know what channel as i watch them all on tv-links.eu, but still very very funny

Isn't it good?! Can't believe channel four won't pick it up at some point

Perfidious Albion

Oct 25, 2011
At the end of my tether
Do you call "Homeland" obscure? Once you are into it , it becomes compelling.
Previously mentioned , "Southland" was top class cop drama, not currently on U K tv though

Anybody mention "Big Love"? series just ended but look for repeats. A really strange family of fringe Mormon polygamists and their struggles. I don't know how they got away with their remarks about the mainstream Mormon church. I don't think it would be allowed here - the programme might be considered a bit "girlie" but had a lot of strange black humour

Sompting_Seagull

Jun 8, 2011
North Stand
Watching The Walking Dead at the moment, its good but never reaches the excellent zombie story level of 'Dawn of the Dead / Shaun of the Dead' movies.

Grimm is good, worth a look, and Fringe series 4 has kept up my interest in Anna Torv, god i fancy her.

Looking for something else to watch now, any ideas anyone?

I know Game of Thrones series 2 is on in April, so cannae wait for that!

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
I've just got Community, and it is brilliant. Season two started last night on Sony TV (one of the obscure sky channels). I'm working through the first season before I catch the second one.

SULLY COULDNT SHOOT

Loyal2Family+Albion!
Sep 28, 2004
Izmir, Southern Turkey
Anyone following Touch? Wife loves it and is quite clever.

Lyndhurst 14

Jan 16, 2008
Anyone following Touch? Wife loves it and is quite clever.

I've seen all the episodes so far and it is clever. It throws out a load of loose ends and you cant see how it will all come together - but it always manages to pull it off. It's also a completely different role for Keifer Sutherland. Recommended.

Brightonfan1983

Tiny member
Jul 5, 2003
UK
Parks and Recreation is very good. The creator was a writer I believe on the US Office series; PnR borrows a lot of its style from Ricky Gervais but they do it very well.

I've tried "getting hold of" Southland but the only ones available have had the language bleeped. Unbelievable. Bleeping Americans.

Decode

Jan 25, 2010
I've seen all the episodes so far and it is clever. It throws out a load of loose ends and you cant see how it will all come together - but it always manages to pull it off. It's also a completely different role for Keifer Sutherland. Recommended.

Does it can any better, watched the first 4 eps, got the rest recorded but it just seems to be the same plot over and over again. Sutherland's kid runs off, he chases him telling he shouldnt just run off, and then they bring some family together who haven't seen each other in years.

Worthingite

Sexy Pete... :D
Sep 16, 2011
Worthing
Why does no one ever talk about Mad Men?? It has to be one of the most clever, addictive and well made shows EVER. The last couple of episodes have turned the entire 5 series previous on their heads, sometimes it moves at what some might describe as a "stately pace", but it's created some truly awesome characters.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Why does no one ever talk about Mad Men?? It has to be one of the most clever, addictive and well made shows EVER. The last couple of episodes have turned the entire 5 series previous on their heads, sometimes it moves at what some might describe as a "stately pace", but it's created some truly awesome characters.

Because it's not 'obscure'? It had its own thread a couple of years ago Madmen

Lyndhurst 14

Jan 16, 2008
On the scifi front throughly reccoemend the wacky Warehouse 13 and the very clever Haven.

A new series of Warehouse 13 starts on SyFy in the States on 23 July. I really like it - you're never sure what's going to happen but it really holds your interest. Hope the new series maintains the same standard

GNF on Tour

Registered Twunt
Jul 7, 2003
Auckland
Veep is excellent, would recommend. Probably been mentioned on this thread already but OZ is well worth a gander, finished 6th series in 2003, prison drama. Deadwood - brilliant, best swearing on TV by a fckin mile.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here