Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Madmen

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
Quality TV. With plot, storylines, characters, attention to period detail, EVERYTHING.

Im so surprised I missed this first time round.

That is all

mad-men-2.jpg

cast.jpg

MADMEN.sflb

Lyndhurst 14

Jan 16, 2008
Great reminder of what life used to be like before all the PC cobblers – you mean you could actually smoke in the workplace?

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
Two CRACKING birds. Christina and January!

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
Series 4 starts tonight 10.00pm BBC4.

Yes it does. I have series 3 to catch up on and Im Sky + series 4.

Regret I did see a couple of spoilers for series 3 which I am not going to share for those that havent seen the second let alone the third.

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
I have to say i've given this programme two goes and really don't like it. I watched the first three episodes just thought it was dull and like watching an aftershave or perfume advert for 45 minutes at a go

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
I have to say i've given this programme two goes and really don't like it. I watched the first three episodes just thought it was dull and like watching an aftershave or perfume advert for 45 minutes at a go

Its a SLOW burner Im afraid. It rewards viewers who keep with it. Something will happen in one episode and then it will be another two or three before its touched or elaborated on again.

Eg in the first series so Im not giving anything away here, a bloke on the train calls Don Draper, Dick, and says I havent seen you since '56 or whatever. Don looks confused and its left there...but in a later episode (about 3 or 4 later) its revealed what the "confusion" is all about and events that come about from this.

Captain Haddock

Aug 2, 2005
The Deep Blue Sea
Quality TV. With plot, storylines, characters, attention to period detail, EVERYTHING.

Im so surprised I missed this first time round.

That is all

MADMEN.sflb

Great call. I too missed it first time around and have been enjoying catching up with it.

Encapsulates its time and place perfectly and has good character development, acting, script / storyline, costume, etc.

Especially noteworthy is the drinking / smoking at work culture, the dullard nature of Don Draper's wife...pristine and empty.

Great artwork on the poster / opening titles too (as above).

:thumbsup:

folkestonesgull

Oct 8, 2006
folkestone
Series 4, first episode last night on BBC HD was immense, I have just finished watching series 3 on a dodgy Thai DVD, so good to see it in HD, though Betty has got too skinny!

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
Superb TV but you do have to get through the first half dozen episodes in Series One to get into it. Worth the effort.

Series 4 very promising last night - apart from the intrusive background music that wasn't there before or at least wasn't laid on with a trowel. Also, much more recognisably the sort of ad agency I started worki in in 1988. Series 1-3 was more like the early agencies run by OXbridge Grads and making money because they personally knew the clients. Series 4 showing us the rise of the creative.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Only just started watching this. Borrowed Series 1 from my sis and now have to buy the other series as it's not available on demand :rant:

I'll probably catch up with series 4 in 2011.

I must say that the characters would be much more pissed given the amount of drinking. I became a journalist at the tail-end of the lunchtime drinking culture and regularly saw people totally ratted by 3.00 in the afternoon. The characters in Mad Men drink heroic amounts with seemingly little effect - that part is unrealistic.

folkestonesgull

Oct 8, 2006
folkestone
Only just started watching this. Borrowed Series 1 from my sis and now have to buy the other series as it's not available on demand :rant:

I'll probably catch up with series 4 in 2011.

I must say that the characters would be much more pissed given the amount of drinking. I became a journalist at the tail-end of the lunchtime drinking culture and regularly saw people totally ratted by 3.00 in the afternoon. The characters in Mad Men drink heroic amounts with seemingly little effect - that part is unrealistic.

I want to respond but dont want to spoil it arghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Also, series 2 is a bit dull (writers strike time?) but persevere because 3 is awesome

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here