Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

'Obscure" US TV choices - recommendations please

Lyndhurst 14

Jan 16, 2008
‘American Horror Story – Series 2 – Asylum’ has just started and is worth looking at. Not so good as the first series yet but looks like a slow burner.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
Been mentioned here already but Modern Family just tickles me silly. Brilliant balance between the best of american humour, with a real british feel. Also it's not afraid to rely on visual and slapstick comedy which doesn't cheapen it, but enhances it.

Plus the blonde mum is WELL NICE innit.

Also started giving 'Perception' a go. Not usually my sort of programme but quite a good little crime drama. Though I find it a bit too fast paced at times (which sounds stupid). What I mean is they are having a chat about a murder and someone will say "If only we had some more evidence" and then, to the second, a second bloke will walk in and say "well you're in luck, we've just found a gun in a car registered to Mr X'. Things never happen THAT slick.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Not sure i can be classed as obscure, but i moved and had no sky for two weeks , what happened in the last two episodes of newsroom ? how did it end ?

To avoid spoilers, I've PMed you some answers.

Dec 29, 2011
Been mentioned here already but Modern Family just tickles me silly. Brilliant balance between the best of american humour, with a real british feel. Also it's not afraid to rely on visual and slapstick comedy which doesn't cheapen it, but enhances it.

Plus the blonde mum is WELL NICE innit.

All the (legal) girls in Modern Family are HOT. Also I agree about the slapstick, running into walls doesn't really make me laugh, but for some reason it does on Modern Family. Cracking show.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
All the (legal) girls in Modern Family are HOT. Also I agree about the slapstick, running into walls doesn't really make me laugh, but for some reason it does on Modern Family. Cracking show.

Exactly. The other day I watched one where the larger gay chap fell into a swimming pool. Doesn't sound funny. I was giggling like a school girl.

Lyndhurst 14

Jan 16, 2008
The dates for new TV shows this winter in the States have just been announced. Some new shows and some further series of old favorites. No doubt most will be winging their way over the Atlantic.

Oldies – ‘Californication’ season 6 (Jan 13), ‘Walking Dead’ – second half of Season 3 (Feb 10), ‘Fringe’ 5[SUP]th[/SUP] and final season (Jan 18), ‘Game of Thrones’ season 3 (March 31), ‘Portlandia’ season 3 (Today)

And a few new ones which look good – ‘1600 Penn’ Comedy with Bill Pullman as the US president, preview looked good. ‘The Following’ with Kevin Bacon, about a psychotic killer in jail and his cult of followers who carry out his wishes outside (Jan 21)

Fungus

NSC Patron
May 21, 2004
Truro
Oldies – ‘Californication’ season 6 (Jan 13), ‘Walking Dead’ – second half of Season 3 (Feb 10), ‘Fringe’ 5[SUP]th[/SUP] and final season (Jan 18), ‘Game of Thrones’ season 3 (March 31), ‘Portlandia’ season 3 (Today

Yay! :clap:

I clicked on this thread, hoping for that very thing! :banana:

Thanks. :thumbsup:

SULLY COULDNT SHOOT

Loyal2Family+Albion!
Sep 28, 2004
Izmir, Southern Turkey
As we come to the end of the winter season I really reccommend the following:

Scandal
Arrow
Revolution (bit silly tho)
Once Upon a Time
Person of Interest
Grimm (season 2 is even better!)

Prettyboyshaw

Feb 20, 2004
Saltdean
Just finished The third season of Eastbound and Down, brilliant series, Kenny f***ing Powers is da man. Steve is fantastic and Will Ferrell as actually funny as Ashley Schaeffer. Great series a TV must :thumbsup:

Spanish Seagulls

Nov 18, 2007
Ladbroke Grove
Final season of Weeds completes what to my mind has been one of the best shows ever. If you haven't watched this it really is a joy & worth starting at the beginning to watch the kids develop, including the elder of the two getting hold of one of the Olsen twins.
Lots to like in this superb show, great characters & Nancy the mum is sexy as f***.

Phat Baz 68

Get a ****ing life mate !
Apr 16, 2011
Rizzoli and Isles

Phat Baz 68

Get a ****ing life mate !
Apr 16, 2011
Fringe is brilliant as is Warehouse 13

Brightonfan1983

Tiny member
Jul 5, 2003
UK
For whom?.... Sadly all three of those are very low brow in my view.....

Curb your enthusiasm
Girls

Really? I admit that a 6th series of SoA is a bit too much and its high moments happened a couple of years ago, but the other two are extremely fine I think.

On the other hand, I've tried Curb... but, and I wince to admit it because I know I should love it, it just doesn't work for me. I shall certainly look out for Girls.

Brightonfan1983

Tiny member
Jul 5, 2003
UK
Anyone watched 'sons of anarchy' ? Have seen it advertised but its got mixed reviews.

The first three/four series were, for me, brilliant - near the knuckle, very well plotted/acted/scripted. It's becoming a tad run of the mill now though.

User removed 4

May 9, 2008
Haywards Heath
On More 4 every week day at 1.30pm there is a little gem. It's called The Good Wife. One of the cast who plays a female investigator for the firm of Lawyers is the quaintly named Archie Panjabi, who for some reason or other I find very attractive.
She is English and was to be found previously in such stuff as East is East and Bend it Like Beckham. It's produced by Scott Free as well which doesn't do any harm.

Archie+Panjabi+Heart+Truth+Red+Dress+Collection+t38Dc-3drful.jpg
the good wife is great , made even bettwe by archie panjabi

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here