Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

'Obscure" US TV choices - recommendations please

Perfidious Albion

Oct 25, 2011
At the end of my tether
Another nomination for 100 Code.. It is well along in the series but may available on catch up . Standard cop show with N York wise ass cop out of his element inSweden. Gritty, strong dialogue , a bit violent for the faint hearted but well worth seeing.

KVLT

Sep 15, 2008
Rutland
I'm a huge fan of Survivor too, S32 is starting in less than a week!

Me too! Have watched every episode of the US version. Such a shame that it didn't take off over here and we got stuck with that sub-par Ant and Dec nonsense.

I noticed that Rob C was your avatar on the Hull v Wednesday :lolol: thread earlier.

"Come on in guys!" :thumbsup:

Saturn

Vicarious
Feb 11, 2016
I noticed that Rob C was your avatar on the Hull v Wednesday :lolol: thread earlier.

"Come on in guys!" :thumbsup:
Awesome! I too have seen every episode, easily my favourite ever show. I was pretty gripped by the UK version when it was shown here but looking back you can see why it failed. Winner picks for this season? My money is on Anna or Michele (both on the Beauty tribe).

Love me some Rob C.

dingodan

Feb 16, 2011
Banshee is all I can say, just started to watch and wow

After watching S1 of "The man in the High Castle" & S1 of "Mr Robot", for my next binge I've decided to pick a random post on a random page of this thread, something I've not heard of before.

I pick you and this. Thanks for the recommendation :)

KVLT

Sep 15, 2008
Rutland
Awesome! I too have seen every episode, easily my favourite ever show. I was pretty gripped by the UK version when it was shown here but looking back you can see why it failed. Winner picks for this season? My money is on Anna or Michele (both on the Beauty tribe).

Love me some Rob C.

Too early for me to say (I'm yet to watch the second episode as It started a week earlier than I anticipated) and I don't tend to pick a winner anyway. I just tend to champion the players that I like - who are as a general rule are the ones who are a bit edgy and underhand.

Anna is probably one to watch though as her Poker skills should be an advantage.

Main points noted from episode one:

Debbie is mad as a box of frogs, Tai doesn't give a feck about living creatures when immunity idols are on the agenda, and Kyle needs to stop cracking his knuckles or leave! :rant:

Prince Monolulu

Everything in Moderation
Oct 2, 2013
The Race Hill
French...S/T but S2 just as good as S1. Highly recommended.

71VWg-6sK3L._SL1500_.jpg

The murky world of politics and spin. Pretty gripping.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
If I can stay awake, I've a big night of catch up tv planned, having already watched John Oliver:-

X-Files
Gotham
BlackList.
The Hotel Manager

Sadly for the new kidz on the block The West Wing wins and that's first on the list.

Quality will out.

Brightonfan1983

Tiny member
Jul 5, 2003
UK
I highly recommend Narcos. Very dramatic and surprisingly most of it is true, every episode will leave you on Wikipedia thinking,' that can't have really happened'.

I've just finished this - great recommendation, brilliant. A bit of a shame it's gone to a second series though, I thought it was tailor-made for a one-off series but I shall definitely enjoy watching it though.

Thanks!

SULLY COULDNT SHOOT

Loyal2Family+Albion!
Sep 28, 2004
Izmir, Southern Turkey
OK... going to throw in a few left field perhaps -

Billions - really enjoying this.
The Magicians - looks very teeny but is actually rather clever.
Colony - cross between Lost and Falling Skies... has some twisty moments and no one is ever really good or ever really bad.
Code Black - better than everything hospitally except greys but as Greys has limped somewhat this year possibly a contender.

p.s. new seasons that are living up to expectations - Vikings, the 100 (just WOW!), Suits.

Lyndhurst 14

Jan 16, 2008
Two outstanding US shows have new series starting shortly.

A new series of "Americans" starts tonight and a further series of "Penny Dreadful" starts on May 1st.

I would thoroughly recommend both of these shows

Brightonfan1983

Tiny member
Jul 5, 2003
UK
I tried Ray Donovan but it didn't work for me. I'm in the minority, I know.

Tell you what I finished yesterday: Show Me A Hero. A 6 parter, written by David Simon (The Wire), from a book about the real-life political shenanigans during the 80s in getting community/low-rent housing into white middle-class neighbourhoods in New York state. Sounds riveting doesn't it. But it is. Brilliant cast (including our very own Alfred Molina), very high production values (ie looks great), makes the whole thing human/funny/tragic. A great watch. Highly recommended.

Don't just take my word for it...
http://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-r...view-1980s-new-york-nick-wasicsko-oscar-isaac

Brightonfan1983

Tiny member
Jul 5, 2003
UK
I've stumbled across "Doll and Em".

The premise is Emily Mortimer's best friend Dolly Wells tearfully joins her in America after a relationship bust up and hangs out in Em's showbiz world (I'm not giving anything away, this all happens over the opening credits). The hook is that they play 'themselves', being real life best friends and having created this show.

It's aimed at the female/coupley viewership, coming as it does via the Sky Arts channel, and won't be to everyone's cuppa, but I like it a lot. It's gentle, sniggerfull, and nothing really happens. It's got loads of Hollywood A-listers popping up as 'themselves' which owes a bit to Larry Sanders and Extras and the like, but nothing at all so monstrous.

If you can get hold of it, for 6 30 minute episodes it's well worth a shot.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here