Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

'Obscure" US TV choices - recommendations please

GOM

living vicariously
Aug 8, 2005
Leeds - but not the dirty bit
....and I like Blacklist although the baseline plot around the tattoos irritates the hell out of me - without the absurdity of that I think it would make a good show.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

do you mean Blindspot

Brightonfan1983

Tiny member
Jul 5, 2003
UK
Without checking every previous entry on thread I would recommend The Jinx - and stick with it - it gets better and better and I would be amazed if anyone finished the series and didn't think it was great.

I love Better Call Saul as well, and am just about to start season 2 of 12 Monkeys, which is worth a watch. I like Scorpion but would accept not everyone's cup of tea, and I like Blacklist although the baseline plot around the tattoos irritates the hell out of me - without the absurdity of that I think it would make a good show. I can't stop watching Limitless having go so far through but it is awful so if you haven't started don't!

Toying with the idea of Fringe. . . Has anyone watched that?

I can't remember trying Fringe but I must have, as checking IMdB, I gave it a 6....

The Jinx was riveting wasn't it. The same filmmaker made Capturing The Friedmans from 2003; though not as mind-blowing, it tells an extraordinary story really really well, and gives no tidy ending. It's a feature film though so pretend I didn't mention it here....

Brightonfan1983

Tiny member
Jul 5, 2003
UK
Just finished last season of House of Cards. Superb. Need something to fill the gaping void. .

I know what you mean. I find Veep to be the perfect light relief to those Presidential shenanigans (and the real world ones). But something with the heft and expanse of HoC? Have you seen Narcos? Gomorrah?

Eggman

Jul 8, 2003
West Sussex
I know what you mean. I find Veep to be the perfect light relief to those Presidential shenanigans (and the real world ones). But something with the heft and expanse of HoC? Have you seen Narcos? Gomorrah?
Seen Narcos. I do have to watch Season 2 of Gamorrah. That was superb.

Found myself binging on Better Call Saul ATM.

wakeytom

Apr 14, 2011
The Hacienda
Without checking every previous entry on thread I would recommend The Jinx - and stick with it - it gets better and better and I would be amazed if anyone finished the series and didn't think it was great.

I love Better Call Saul as well, and am just about to start season 2 of 12 Monkeys, which is worth a watch. I like Scorpion but would accept not everyone's cup of tea, and I like Blacklist although the baseline plot around the tattoos irritates the hell out of me - without the absurdity of that I think it would make a good show. I can't stop watching Limitless having go so far through but it is awful so if you haven't started don't!

Toying with the idea of Fringe. . . Has anyone watched that?

Whats 12 monkeys like? Love the film but have quite a few things in line at the moment to watch, is it worth bumping it up the list?

Spanish Seagulls

Nov 18, 2007
Ladbroke Grove
Broadwalk Empire was my favourite of the Gangster genre since The Sopranos & have the final 2 episodes to watch tonight, looking forward to that.

Big time in Hollywood is a quirky comedy which wasn't bad at all, Cuba Gooding, Ben Stiller & others among the cast which was a surprise.

Anyone not watched Weeds then you really should, loved that & I probably mentioned it a long time ago but I still rate it very highly after all this time, great characters & brilliantly written dialogue from Jenji Kohan the guy (one of) who wrote 'Orange is the new black' which should be recommendation enough.

Agree with recommendations regards Gomorrah, one of those that actually seem better for sub titles (yes I know but you know what I mean) adding to the grit.

Loved Billions & bingewatched it over 3 nights & would have done it quicker if I could.

Having heard so much about House of Cards I thought I would try it but imagined it would bore me, wrong, wrong, wrong. Brilliant.

BangaloreGull

Jun 18, 2011
Burgess Hill
I can't remember trying Fringe but I must have, as checking IMdB, I gave it a 6....

The Jinx was riveting wasn't it. The same filmmaker made Capturing The Friedmans from 2003; though not as mind-blowing, it tells an extraordinary story really really well, and gives no tidy ending. It's a feature film though so pretend I didn't mention it here....

I will look that up, and not tell anyone you suggested it. Yep Jinx was recommended to me last year, I downloaded it but always found something else to watch. Finally got round to it, and couldn't believe I had waited so long.

BangaloreGull

Jun 18, 2011
Burgess Hill
Whats 12 monkeys like? Love the film but have quite a few things in line at the moment to watch, is it worth bumping it up the list?

I love anything with time travel so it works for me. It is quite dark, and I suspect the target audience is somewhat younger than me. I would say if you liked the film it is well worth a go, I went straight to season 2 as soon as I finished season 1 which is a good sign.

CP 0 3 BHA

Nov 28, 2003
Northants
Normally don't end up watching iTV, but chanced upon the Americans which they showed throughout the Summer late on Saturday evenings. Saw most of the series, thought it was great, as was the acting of brit Matthew Rhys and Keri Russell. A late Cold War spy drama set in the US.

It's taken me three years and the acquisition of decent broadband and a Fire TV stick but I'm belatedly watching this and have started at the beginning. Three episodes in and it's top class.

Randsta

Aug 8, 2011
Eastbourne
Not that obscure ...The Unbreakable kimmy schmidt. If you liked 30 Rock then you're sure to like this created by Tina Fey (Liz Lemon) she plays a cameo in both series and someone else - The premise is a women trapped in a bunker by a doomsday cult leader, is freeded and goes to live in New York and she is super positive and is a fish out of water basically sounds awful.... but The show is amazingly funny and the characters are brilliant! It also has Jane Krakowsk who you will remember if you watched 30 Rock as Jenna, and she's being Jenna is this as well (not a bad thing).
I've gone through the first two seasons shame they're so short, but it will be back :) and the theme tune is unbelievably catchy

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
It's taken me three years and the acquisition of decent broadband and a Fire TV stick but I'm belatedly watching this and have started at the beginning. Three episodes in and it's top class.
I really enjoy The Americans, although I did miss most of series 3 when I didn't realise it had been tucked away on ITV Encore (whatever that is).

Randsta

Aug 8, 2011
Eastbourne
I really enjoy The Americans, although I did miss most of series 3 when I didn't realise it had been tucked away on ITV Encore (whatever that is).

I started to watch it but found it hard going, it was good but just not on the same level as your 24's or Spooks. I was the same with Homelands after a few seasons, I just lost interest.

Lyndhurst 14

Jan 16, 2008
Great news - "Curb your enthusiasm" to return for 9th series

homer-computer-woohoo.jpg

Brightonfan1983

Tiny member
Jul 5, 2003
UK
Still think this is the best US Comedy show. Interesting that it sprang from the US version of "Til Death Us Do Part". Also that the four main characters remained on the show throughout its 10-year run. That must be unprecedented for a show of that kind.

GREAT shout. I was googling/youtubing this last night - it consistently makes me LOLZ. I'm pretty certain too that it's stood the test of time, and how could it not, with Ed's brilliant insults peppering each episode like a veritable hailstorm of un-PC-ness:
Large lady: How dare you say that to my face!
Ed: I'd say it to your back but my car's only got half a tank of gas

I started Friday Night Lights this morning. Anyone seen it? (I can't figure out the Search facility here) Really really good first episode.

Last edited:

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Not in anyway obscure but yesterday evening Sky Atlantic finished showing the complete run of The West Wing.

Tonight at 5pm, they are starting all over again.

For me it's only bettered by The Sopranos, and is an absolute must to watch.
It's so good, The West Wing is still relevant today, predicting much of what American politics has become.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here