Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

'Obscure" US TV choices - recommendations please

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
YES, been waiting years for this. Brilliant, brilliant series. If it was in English, people would be mentioning it in the same breath as Breaking Bad, etc.
Binge watched the first series in about four evenings. It's amazing and horribly addictive. Best thing I've seen on tv in years.

Prince Monolulu

Everything in Moderation
Oct 2, 2013
The Race Hill
Really enjoying this Blue Eyes on 4.

Blue-Eyes-_-DVD.png

Lyndhurst 14

Jan 16, 2008
3rd series of Penny Dreadful started last night. I really like this programme and IMHO it's way better than GOT.

It's a really good mix of Victorian London and the supernatural with a great cast.

Maldini

Banned
Aug 19, 2015

May 11th 9pm.

I watched half of the Gomorrah film and switched off because it wasn't up to much.I then saw Gomorrah the TV series advertised so being half italian with family coming from near naples where this is based I thought I'd give it a try.I don't do TV series usually but I'm glad I tuned into this.Wow.To say it's stunning is an understatment.I consider myself hard to please but this is a work of art.It's extremely gritty and realistic. Roberto Saviano who wrote this got it spot on how it is with the Camorra,The Neoploitan Mafia and risked his life by writing the book.

I never watched the Sopranos aprt from clips but I can't imagine it got anywhere remotely near to Gomorrah.

Brightonfan1983

Tiny member
Jul 5, 2003
UK
No one's mentioned 'Flowers' that was on CH4 a few weeks ago - Olivia Coleman, Julian Barratt (The Mighty Boosh), as a country couple, with kids and builders and friends. It's very funny, very moving, sad, happy and is 6 episodes of the best British television I've seen for ages.

Honestly. I really recommend it.

Brightonfan1983

Tiny member
Jul 5, 2003
UK
May 11th 9pm.

I watched half of the Gomorrah film and switched off because it wasn't up to much.I then saw Gomorrah the TV series advertised so being half italian with family coming from near naples where this is based I thought I'd give it a try.I don't do TV series usually but I'm glad I tuned into this.Wow.To say it's stunning is an understatment.I consider myself hard to please but this is a work of art.It's extremely gritty and realistic. Roberto Saviano who wrote this got it spot on how it is with the Camorra,The Neoploitan Mafia and risked his life by writing the book.

I never watched the Sopranos aprt from clips but I can't imagine it got anywhere remotely near to Gomorrah.

I quite liked the film but agree, as seems to be the way with storytelling these days, it can be done more effectively over 13 episodes than just 2 hours.

Someone here suggested "Corleone" - following what I presume, from 2 episodes in, is the rise and possibly fall, of a wannabe Mafia type from the Corleone of the 40s/50s. Slow and sprawling, tells a good yarn; you couldn't do the series in a weekend, it lends itself more to one every couple of days. Jolly good though.

And I've just seen that "Veep" started again a couple of weeks ago....

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
No one's mentioned 'Flowers' that was on CH4 a few weeks ago - Olivia Coleman, Julian Barratt (The Mighty Boosh), as a country couple, with kids and builders and friends. It's very funny, very moving, sad, happy and is 6 episodes of the best British television I've seen for ages.

Just watched it - wow!

This is truly a wonderful bit of genuinely original television. You've summed it up well, and has been the best bit of UK TV made in a while. It is on C4 catchup still, so please everyone watch it. Gloriously dark british telly.

Bad Ash

Unregistered User
Jul 18, 2003
Housewares

Maybe because they've read the thread title! ;-)

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
Grimm - been going a while but a good series with a decent concept tied into Grimms Brothers tales
Black-ish - comedy based around a black family living in a white suburb
Black Jesus - pot somking jesus living in the projects
Wynona Earp - supertnatural tied in with old west themes
Lucifer = devil is tired of being a prick and turns cops assistant = good comedy fun
Mysteries at the Museum = show where they take an obscure item from a museums collection and tie it to the real life event it was involved in.
Hunters - Earth is infiltrated by an alien being and an agency has to track them down

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
I'm always late.

I've had a bit of a binge on True Detective the last couple of weeks. Series ones, especially MM's performance was superb. If anyone is coming later than me to this, watch series 2 first. Either way you'd hope series 3 somehow carries on from series 1.

Marxo

Aug 7, 2011
Ghent, Belgium
Preacher is pretty good so far with 2 English actors in lead roles: Dominic Cooper and Joseph Gilgun while Limitless is worth a watch too, although already cancelled after 1 series.

BangaloreGull

Jun 18, 2011
Burgess Hill
Without checking every previous entry on thread I would recommend The Jinx - and stick with it - it gets better and better and I would be amazed if anyone finished the series and didn't think it was great.

I love Better Call Saul as well, and am just about to start season 2 of 12 Monkeys, which is worth a watch. I like Scorpion but would accept not everyone's cup of tea, and I like Blacklist although the baseline plot around the tattoos irritates the hell out of me - without the absurdity of that I think it would make a good show. I can't stop watching Limitless having go so far through but it is awful so if you haven't started don't!

Toying with the idea of Fringe. . . Has anyone watched that?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Seagull kimchi

Oct 8, 2010
Korea and India
Without checking every previous entry on thread I would recommend The Jinx - and stick with it - it gets better and better and I would be amazed if anyone finished the series and didn't think it was great.

I love Better Call Saul as well, and am just about to start season 2 of 12 Monkeys, which is worth a watch. I like Scorpion but would accept not everyone's cup of tea, and I like Blacklist although the baseline plot around the tattoos irritates the hell out of me - without the absurdity of that I think it would make a good show. I can't stop watching Limitless having go so far through but it is awful so if you haven't started don't!

Toying with the idea of Fringe. . . Has anyone watched that?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Fringe is well worth it - the first few series are excellent.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here