NSC Motorcyclists...

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

DanielT

I'm looking to get myself a motorbike in the near future and I was wondering what recommendations anyone could give me for a decent, not too expensive and good sized bike for a new rider. I was hoping to go with a 500cc. Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks :)

we've come such a long way since the start of this thread: not too expensive, new rider, 500cc

within 5 posts he's being offered a YZF1000R. then a monster 1200!

i had been looking at similar bikes mentioned in post 1, but now I am searching ebay for hornets and bandits!

JBizzleBeard

Jan 23, 2007
Brighton
we've come such a long way since the start of this thread: not too expensive, new rider, 500cc

within 5 posts he's being offered a YZF1000R. then a monster 1200!

i had been looking at similar bikes mentioned in post 1, but now I am searching ebay for hornets and bandits!

Haha it sure has been a good thread! I've had some amazing help and like you DT I so need to get me a Bandit or Hornet, they look just the job.

grubbyhands

Dec 8, 2011
Godalming
I've got a BMW 1200 GS Adventure and although I am better than all other bikers I nod to all of them. It makes them feel better to be acknowledged by a superior being!
Seriuosly, Fazer or Bandit , both good starter bikes . Not too powerful but enough to raise a decent smile. I have a couple of mates with a 'bike shop in Guildford Trojan Scald when you're ready IF thats any use. Very best of luck with getting your license...you will never look back.

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
Been riding since 1981 - first bike a Honda CB125S (PFK 70R where are you now?) which was the upmarket (OHC) version of the CG125 (OHV) and had a totally non functioning mechanical (not Hydraulic) front disc brake. Fell off it lots but probably as well on such a slow coach. Parents appalled but couldn't afford a car at Polytechnic so it was accepted as just a 'runaround to get me from house to lectures'.....

Of course three years later I had a Norton Commando Cafe Racer :cool:

Just to be completely different from the Norton I also had a bit of a thing for Kawasaki triples, had a KH250, KH400, H1B at various times....

Actually thinking back to it I also owned a few Yamaha strokers, at various times I had a RD250B, a RD250E, a RD400F (the one bike I should NEVER have sold, it was immaculate), a very nice black RD250LC and a RD350YPVS. Where are they all now? :down:

Currently have the Ford Mondeo of biking, an old CBR600F. Nevertheless it is probably the fastest thing I have ever ridden, the people who can use the performance of modern 900cc plus sports bikes must be heroes!

Sorry that was a bit of navel gazing but essentially the message is for everyday riding and for most people a 600 is all you need. Welcome to the club, it is so much more enjoyable than driving a car!

JBizzleBeard

Jan 23, 2007
Brighton
I've got a BMW 1200 GS Adventure and although I am better than all other bikers I nod to all of them. It makes them feel better to be acknowledged by a superior being!
Seriuosly, Fazer or Bandit , both good starter bikes . Not too powerful but enough to raise a decent smile. I have a couple of mates with a 'bike shop in Guildford Trojan Scald when you're ready IF thats any use. Very best of luck with getting your license...you will never look back.

Top man! I really have my heart set on a Bandit so keep ya eyes open ;)

I have a bit of a way to go as you can imagine, with theory tests etc but I will get on it all as soon as I possibly can! The thought of jumping on my own decent motorbike fills me with joy! I should have done it time ago.

JBizzleBeard

Jan 23, 2007
Brighton
Been riding since 1981 - first bike a Honda CB125S (PFK 70R where are you now?) which was the upmarket (OHC) version of the CG125 (OHV) and had a totally non functioning mechanical (not Hydraulic) front disc brake. Fell off it lots but probably as well on such a slow coach. Parents appalled but couldn't afford a car at Polytechnic so it was accepted as just a 'runaround to get me from house to lectures'.....

Of course three years later I had a Norton Commando Cafe Racer :cool:

Just to be completely different from the Norton I also had a bit of a thing for Kawasaki triples, had a KH250, KH400, H1B at various times....

Actually thinking back to it I also owned a few Yamaha strokers, at various times I had a RD250B, a RD250E, a RD400F (the one bike I should NEVER have sold, it was immaculate), a very nice black RD250LC and a RD350YPVS. Where are they all now? :down:

Currently have the Ford Mondeo of biking, an old CBR600F. Nevertheless it is probably the fastest thing I have ever ridden, the people who can use the performance of modern 900cc plus sports bikes must be heroes!

Sorry that was a bit of navel gazing but essentially the message is for everyday riding and for most people a 600 is all you need. Welcome to the club, it is so much more enjoyable than driving a car!

Thanks man, that was a good read. Learning, learning, learning. I love it!

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
Just searched that Norton, I bet it sounded lovely Jakarta!

The neighbours didn't think so, especially when I road tested it with the original (ex production racing) exhaust system which was missing a few (well a lot) of the baffles Norton had put in there!

For everyones sake I put on a standard set of pipes - even a legal Commando exhaust sounds good on full chat. :bowdown:

DanielT

I have a bit of a way to go as you can imagine, with theory tests etc

You can get a theory test/hazard perception DVD designed for motorcyclists for about £20. There are also apps that can test you, but the apps don't have hazard perception. £31 for the test and it's valid for 2 years.

I have a direct access course coming up with Norton in Worthing. £495 for a 3 day, £595 for the 4 day. (one of the days is the Mod 1 and Mod 2 tests - included in the price of the course)

00snook

Aug 20, 2007
Southsea

Bloody GS riders. Ha

Seriously have always wanted one since watching Long Way Round.

Everybody I know who owns one says they are superb.

So many bikes to ride, only 70 years to ride them all (if im lucky and still riding when in 100)

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
I've got a mate with a Fazer8, looks tidy and he rates it. Takes it touring too. Another mate moved from a Triumph Tiger to a Ducati Multistrada and each time announced it as the best bike he'd ever had.

I frequent a good mainly racing bike forum. If anyone wants a link pm me.

When I get my arse in gear, I wanna get a Tenere.

Lethargic

Oct 11, 2006
Horsham
Very good advice that.

Definitely looking where you are going I key.

Could save your life. Look round trouble not at it. Where your eyes look the bike will follow.

Also remember your lifesavers. They are called that for a reason.

And lastly ride within your limits.

Essentially what he said.

Ha ha ha.

Agreed good tips I always assume everyone else on the road is a complete knob unfortunately I am right more than I would like to be. Personally I wouldn't go for anything above 600cc for your first bike it will have enough power and there are many good options out there, Honda CBR is always a good choice.
I currently ride a Yamaha TDM900 as until recently it was 90% a comment or bike.

grubbyhands

Dec 8, 2011
Godalming
Bloody GS riders. Ha

Seriously have always wanted one since watching Long Way Round.

Everybody I know who owns one says they are superb.

So many bikes to ride, only 70 years to ride them all (if im lucky and still riding when in 100)

Ha Ha . It is a beast of a thing but now I wouldn't have anything else. It's a block of flats on 2 wheels but f*ck it's got a presence about it. See you on the NSC rideout I hpe

JBizzleBeard

Jan 23, 2007
Brighton
Well when I started this thread up this morning I didn't expect half the amount of help that I have received and even better it looks like the NSC bikers will be having a meet up. Win, win. Good work folks. I even forgot I was reading/posting on NSC as it has been goon free :D

00snook

Aug 20, 2007
Southsea
Well when I started this thread up this morning I didn't expect half the amount of help that I have received and even better it looks like the NSC bikers will be having a meet up. Win, win. Good work folks. I even forgot I was reading/posting on NSC as it has been goon free :D

If you wanna come on the ride out Trojan I can pick you up if you are happy to ride pillion?

Have some gear I can lend you.

Doesn't seem right if you don't come.

Muzzy

Jan 25, 2011
Lewes
If you wanna come on the ride out Trojan I can pick you up if you are happy to ride pillion?

Have some gear I can lend you.

Doesn't seem right if you don't come.

Nice gesture. and yes he should come along.

It's a shame my last bike got nicked. A Suzuki Intruder 1500 It was like sitting in an armchair. reckon you would have enjoyed a ride on the back of that.

bognorandy

Aug 5, 2008
Bognor Regis
My first bike after passing test was a Honda CBR600F. Someone recommended it to me as a first bike as ment to be reliable and I never had any problems with it. Currently have a brand new (well three months old now!) Suzuki GSXR600 which I love just want some decent weather.

00snook

Aug 20, 2007
Southsea
My first bike after passing test was a Honda CBR600F. Someone recommended it to me as a first bike as ment to be reliable and I never had any problems with it. Currently have a brand new (well three months old now!) Suzuki GSXR600 which I love just want some decent weather.

Get out in the rain mate.

Makes you a better rider.

I ride all year round and as a result an triple quick when it's try.

Really smooths you out riding a lot in the rain. Helps massively once it's nice and dry.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports