Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

NSC Motorcyclists...

Godstar

Jan 18, 2012
Sodom..or is it Gomorrah!
Hi TS, one thing worth considering is your height, if you're short then don't start on something big, conversely, if you are over 6' then don't start small - i'm 6' 2" & anything under a 750cc, i look like a gorilla on a monkey bike!
Secondly, depends what you are using it for - if it's mainly for around town then you ain't gonna need a beast, so a 500/600cc is fine. Another thing worth mentioning is Jap bikes/parts are cheap, i've had Italian & British bikes &
when i needed parts the cost was way more.
Also i can recommend Saferide (Nathan & Drew) for the Tests etc.
BTW i ride a Kawasaki VS800 Drifter.

Muzzy

Jan 25, 2011
Lewes
Oh my days, I think I'm falling in love with the Bandit. That one is a beauty. I can't believe the price either! Superb.

My mate robbed someone of their 1200 bandit recently!

An 08 plated bike with less than 200 miles on the clock 1k, yes that's right 1000 pounds only!!!!! Lucky barsteward!

00snook

Aug 20, 2007
Southsea

Glad you like it mate.

Think it looks absolutely gorgeous myself, plus its a good cross over between a sports bike and an out and out tourer. Just as good with 2 people and luggage as it is on my own.

For a heavy bike it is superb through the bends too. Would like a tad more power but you can't have it all I guess.

Doc Lynam

I hate the Daily Mail
Jun 19, 2011
Also really like the Triumph ST

sporttouring-Triumph-Sprint-ST-valigie.jpg

00snook

Aug 20, 2007
Southsea
My mate robbed someone of their 1200 bandit recently!

An 08 plated bike with less than 200 miles on the clock 1k, yes that's right 1000 pounds only!!!!! Lucky barsteward!

Now that is daylight robbery!

Never ridden a 1200 Bandit but they must be serious fun

00snook

Aug 20, 2007
Southsea
Also really like the Triumph ST

sporttouring-Triumph-Sprint-ST-valigie.jpg

I was between the ST and the VFR when I got my VFR Doc.

Only reason I ended up going for the VFR is that the VTEC Engine is bulletproof, and Japanese bikes (as mentioned earlier) just seem to edge it for me for parts and also reliability.

Did ride an ST and would say they are better motorway bikes than my VFR is, but not so good in the twisties. Amazing engine though.

Twinkle Toes

Growing old disgracefully
Apr 4, 2008
Hoveside
Not at all TT, just the words of a noob ;)

Fair play to you bab. Still, it won't be long before you'll be a highly tuned motorcycle codshit talker like the rest of us! :wink:

ps I see the 'modding' suggestions have already started for that Zed 750... :lolol:

JBizzleBeard

Jan 23, 2007
Brighton
Hi TS, one thing worth considering is your height, if you're short then don't start on something big, conversely, if you are over 6' then don't start small - i'm 6' 2" & anything under a 750cc, i look like a gorilla on a monkey bike!
Secondly, depends what you are using it for - if it's mainly for around town then you ain't gonna need a beast, so a 500/600cc is fine. Another thing worth mentioning is Jap bikes/parts are cheap, i've had Italian & British bikes &
when i needed parts the cost was way more.
Also i can recommend Saferide (Nathan & Drew) for the Tests etc.
BTW i ride a Kawasaki VS800 Drifter.

Hey Godstar I'm 5'11" so I'm thinking the idea of a 500/600 is just right :)

Thanks for the test recommendation!

Doc Lynam

I hate the Daily Mail
Jun 19, 2011
I was between the ST and the VFR when I got my VFR Doc.

Only reason I ended up going for the VFR is that the VTEC Engine is bulletproof, and Japanese bikes (as mentioned earlier) just seem to edge it for me for parts and also reliability.

Did ride an ST and would say they are better motorway bikes than my VFR is, but not so good in the twisties. Amazing engine though.

Yeah that's what i would want it for short breaks and holidays abroad.

JBizzleBeard

Jan 23, 2007
Brighton
Fair play to you bab. Still, it won't be long before you'll be a highly tuned motorcycle codshit talker like the rest of us! :wink:

ps I see the 'modding' suggestions have already started for that Zed 750... :lolol:

The rate you guys are helping/teaching me I think you could be right! Just the thought of getting on my own decent sized bike excites the hell out of me...

00snook

Aug 20, 2007
Southsea

The standard Z that I rode was not the greatest TT. The exhaust made this high pitched whining noise like a car going backwards. Apparently, according to the dude at my local garage, getting a decent exhaust fitted makes a big difference to the power.

Surely you are not suggesting that leaving a bike as standard is appropriate behaviour :wink:

That being said my VFR is standard and will be staying that way!

00snook

Aug 20, 2007
Southsea
Yeah that's what i would want it for short breaks and holidays abroad.

Defo perfect for those purposes I reckon.

My mate has an old K reg ZZR1100 which he uses for trips to France and reckons it is perfect. I have ridden it and the engine is absolutely outrageous for an old bike.

Half tempted to get one myself and have trip to Andorra with him next year.

Twinkle Toes

Growing old disgracefully
Apr 4, 2008
Hoveside
Yeah absolutely thats plenty of money.

You have to remember that bikes are massively cheaper than cars in the first place, so there are tonnes of good ones around for about £1500

Check out this beauty.

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/search/used/bikes/suzuki/postcode/po49aj/radius/100/cc-to/600cc/variant/bandit/sort/default

Already got engine guards fitted, has been pimped up a bit and looks like a nice loud exhaust. Just the ticket :drool:

That actually looks like a standard exhaust to me. That said, I bet the internals have mysteriously disappeared (as they so often do). Terrible business, that Alien Baffle Abduction. :lol:

Muzzy

Jan 25, 2011
Lewes
Now that is daylight robbery!

Never ridden a 1200 Bandit but they must be serious fun

It's a great ride... I can borrow it anytime I want! Arrange a meet next month and I'll give it a blast?

Doc Lynam

I hate the Daily Mail
Jun 19, 2011
Defo perfect for those purposes I reckon.

My mate has an old K reg ZZR1100 which he uses for trips to France and reckons it is perfect. I have ridden it and the engine is absolutely outrageous for an old bike.

Half tempted to get one myself and have trip to Andorra with him next year.

Great minds and all that.

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
Time for CM's favourite motorbike etiquette question:

You bikers nod at each other when you pass by each other on the road, but what do you do if you're driving towards someone on a moped? Do you pretend not to notice them or do you nod as if you would with anyone coming towards you on a 600 or 750cc machine?

Dec 29, 2011
This is my bike I have at the mo.

Absolutely LOVE it

honda-vfr-800.jpg
How much new & used?
Time for CM's favourite motorbike etiquette question:

You bikers nod at each other when you pass by each other on the road, but what do you do if you're driving towards someone on a moped? Do you pretend not to notice them or do you nod as if you would with anyone coming towards you on a 600 or 750cc machine?

Moped = no nod. Crosser = nod. Other bike = nod. Harley type bike = no nod. 125cc sports bike = definite nod.

Thats how I do it.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here