Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

North stand stewards

rowtnorthstand

Nov 25, 2012
Shoreham By Sea
Can the stewards just leave the north stand massive alone FFS no ones fighting anyone raping anyone no monkey chants no crowd surges no running onto the playing area nothing just people standing up making an atmosphere showing some passion I'm glad I'm in west upper out the way just able to watch the game and have a good laugh with all around us without the threat of some jobsworth steward treating me like a child if I were to stand up or show to much passion (in their eyes of too much passion )
Reading this thread as wound me up even more about our beautiful game being over sanitised

What he said..........ish :)

T soprano

Oct 27, 2011
Posh end of Shoreham
Next time you watch match of the day have a look at the away end at every game in the prem hardly a single fan stays seated as is the same at the Amex majority of away fans stand for the whole 90 mins

Half Man Half Biscuit

Oct 10, 2003
Hove
What we need at the Albion is a fan liaison officer. The back few rows of the North Stand stand, or try to, every game. We were told when we purchased our season tickets that this would be tolerated. It's been the same fans in the same seats - I'm in N1A were the problems occurred tonight - since the stadium opened and those fans want to stand, that's why they chose that section of the Amex. The stewards are obviously told to make token efforts to tell everyone to sit down, during high profile games - they give up, but for low-key matches such as tonight they make more of an effort and it causes, somewhat unnecessary, conflict. I say we need a fan liaison officer because when incidents like tonight occur, fans are aghast because it all seems so over the top and heavy-handed when in reality everybody is behaving themselves. Those asking for a polite explanation tonight were met with blank responses. We don't want conflict, just to get behind our team, is that such a crime?

It seems to me to be unfair to blame individual stewards who were, no doubt, acting on instructions. The observation post above the west end of the North Stand was full of people observing (and probably directing) what was going on. If it was the Club's intention to tighten up the rules about standing, it might have been helpful to have announced this properly beforehand.

I stood for much of the second half. Why? Because the people in front of me were standing and I wanted to see the game. Was I upset by the fact that folk were standing and I had to? No.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
dont normally post on here but read quite a lot. Was in the row in front of where the two separate guys got thrown out. One was definitely chanting stand up if you hate palace which seems ridiculous to me.

And the second incident was with a guy who appeared to have done nothing. the fat steward (the family guy lookalike) and him to leave and the man replied 'if you tell me what ive done wrong' to with fat family guy steward replied 'ive asked you nicely, either you come with us, or you walk out'. next thing i know man has pushed family guy steward over the seats and onto me, at which point im holding fat family guy steward in my arms (mainly because i thought his weight would break my chair) before loads of stewards and police pile in.

crazy stuff. probably more interesting than the game in the end.

And this is why I'd like to complain to the club. Over zealous stewarding where they're unreasonable and provocative can escalate a situation out of nothing that leads to innocent bystanders potentially getting hurt. I'd complain to the club in your situation, I was saying this at the time you must be several rows down infront of us.

Steward 744 is the round family guy look a like. Seems a real egotist and afraid to say if he got hurt then its all well quoting the law but some common sense might prevent you getting hurt. I mean, I shouldn't get punched in the face but if I walk up to a right thug and ask him to refrain from swearing then chances are I will.

What I'm getting sick and tired of is the omnipresent watching and survallance of the north and the no right to appeal you must be guilty if a steward says they saw or heard you say something you didn't. You're guilty by association and 40 years of loyal supporting and tens of thousands of pounds evaporates in an instant because some hi vis vest wannabe has misheard etc. anyone remember the racist Bellamy coverage in the papers last year? Sheepshaggers but it was seasiders! But in the case of the individual once targeted there's no recourse. You're just banned and the club couldn't care less if you did or didn't. Unless you've ever been wrongly accused of something fairly serious then you'll not understand what I'm taking about when it comes to clearing your name. And even when you do, sometimes you get scant apology and are even still deemed troublesome just because you raged against the machine and didn't just lie down and accept the injustice. If that's what's happened here, and its already happened to some in the 1901 club we know, then I really feel for these fans. The club needs to be open and talk to fans not treat like cattle and criminals. We pay A LOT of money and authorities are still stuck I the 80s often or not when it comes to handling crowds. Anyone bringing hillsborough into this debate is being disrespectful towards the dead. And ironically forgetting the part authorities played in the tragedy because of such prejudices. If anything the fans have moved o. And it's the clubs and associated authorities that haven't.

Anyway I'm probably going to be banned for telling 744 he was a disgrace on my way out
When being he was being interviewed b a Wpc. After all, having an opinion which is dangerously opposite of steward probably contravines section 59.3a of a public order act somewhere. Getting a bit fed up with football just for this reason. Who needs this shit after a hard days work and 2.5 drive each way? Increasingly I don't me thinks!

TKC

Jun 16, 2011
What I don't understand is that there are 10-15 rows of people standing up throughout the whole game; does this mean the stewards are going to talk to them individually? I think this is going to get a lot worse before it gets any better

We now know if you stand in the North you're going to get a talking to or thrown out. Don't stand, no problems, simples!

Soulman

Oct 22, 2012
Sompting
I made a mistake in my last post.....it wasn't a rotund Harry Potter. Definitely Pete Griffin, Family Guy............ i'd be useless pointing a crook out in a police line up.

del_boy

Jul 3, 2012
BN1
was wondering what that was about, don't want to make a habit out of stewards getting involved...

"I don't trouble trouble so trouble dont trouble me"

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
He didnt start it - someone else did
And it was "Stand up if you hate Palass"
Ejected
Madness- if i say so meself

Even if he did, it's hard to imagine someone would be chucked out just for that.
They shouldn't be, but I'm not sure it's that hard to believe. The odd steward can have a moment.
Had there been a prior altercation of some sort and the "Stand up if..." was started, or perceived to have been started, to antagonise stewards seeking to get people to remain seated?
Interested to know the full story. We don't want people discouraged from singing, it'll ruin the club.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
We now know if you stand in the North you're going to get a talking to or thrown out. Don't stand, no problems, simples!

No it **{%<|!?! isn't you donut. Christ if it was why would there be so many conflicting opinions and differences in what people are told at point of purchase etc. Christ, next you'll be saying the club also told disabled fans they'd be we'll catered for in the stadium design and parking wasn't free. The club don't help themselves OFTEN you know. A certain Mr Bellotti once thought he was right and all the fans were wrong. Thank god some of us had the bollocks not to listen to him and his dictatorial line either. I don't know what's worse: fans standing, authorities over reacting or annoying Meerkats saying simples in answer to everything!

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
Right I will tell everyone on here now what has happened tonight as I am friends with most of the stewards at the ground. The club has been warned by the f.a. Not once but twice about persitant standing so the stewards have now been told to clamp down on it in every row apart from the back 3 rows which is what everyone knew when we first moved into the stadium.
But it doesn't apply at all to the away stand?

Seagull on the wing

Sep 22, 2010
Hailsham
To describe someone in such derogatory and personal terms is disgraceful and no better than those who spout racist and homophobic hatred.

Perhaps such vitriol demonstrates the extreme limitations of these people to think or play their part in a civilised society. Think about what you've posted and consider whether it is acceptable? If not, make a public apology now. Alternatively, if you think it is ok, perhaps this football club is not for you and you are probably a closet palace fan!

Everyone knows that it was originally agreed that people standing in the rear four rows of the North Stand would be tolerated BUT NOWHERE ELSE. What is there not to understand about that. Continued non-compliance could jeopardise the Safety Certificate for the stadium and can be annoying for others. All-sweater stadia came about as a result of regular crushes and injuries and nothing couldn't have been worse than what happened to the 96 at Hillsborough.

The steward will have worked to instructions and he does not need abuse from the very thick people who think it is ok to abuse anyone. Stewards are there for people's safety, YOUR safety and do not need to be abused. If someone has hit a steward, they are not a football supporter, they are a Neanderthal thug. Again, they have shown just how thick they are to assault someone where there are so many CCTV cameras. It will be recorded and the evidence will be damning, I am pleased to say.

Don't make anyone out to be a martyr, they are simply a thug and a criminal and I look forward to them being dealt with by the Club and the criminal courts. Such people are the true scum and not worthy to support our great club.[/QUOTE
Common sense at last...so easy to blame the stewards...you all know the rules for safety in the stadium...you break the safety rules,don't whinge at the stewards...I have found all stewards to be friendly and helpful....but then people who cannot behave always look for a scapegoat to blame....wise up...you're in the modern era now...no need for disruption in any ground....you want trouble....join the forces...oh hang on...the enemy might fight back!

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
To describe someone in such derogatory and personal terms is disgraceful and no better than those who spout racist and homophobic hatred.

Perhaps such vitriol demonstrates the extreme limitations of these people to think or play their part in a civilised society. Think about what you've posted and consider whether it is acceptable? If not, make a public apology now. Alternatively, if you think it is ok, perhaps this football club is not for you and you are probably a closet palace fan!

Everyone knows that it was originally agreed that people standing in the rear four rows of the North Stand would be tolerated BUT NOWHERE ELSE. What is there not to understand about that. Continued non-compliance could jeopardise the Safety Certificate for the stadium and can be annoying for others. All-sweater stadia came about as a result of regular crushes and injuries and nothing couldn't have been worse than what happened to the 96 at Hillsborough.

The steward will have worked to instructions and he does not need abuse from the very thick people who think it is ok to abuse anyone. Stewards are there for people's safety, YOUR safety and do not need to be abused. If someone has hit a steward, they are not a football supporter, they are a Neanderthal thug. Again, they have shown just how thick they are to assault someone where there are so many CCTV cameras. It will be recorded and the evidence will be damning, I am pleased to say.

Don't make anyone out to be a martyr, they are simply a thug and a criminal and I look forward to them being dealt with by the Club and the criminal courts. Such people are the true scum and not worthy to support our great club.

This post wins my personal Monkey Spunk Award 2012

Last season the steward in question was a seat monitor by the pitch exit gate in block D. It was very clear from the outset he is a killjoy jobsworth with absolutely no sense of anything past his blinkered view. From actively seeking out to confiscate inflatable beach balls to scrutinising everyone around him like an acid fuelled Meerkat MI5 operative it was clear he really is not a people person.

I know stewards have a job to do and it is very much a thankless task but the majority I have come across in the north do their job well under sometimes trying circumstances and a few of them excel at their job.

The gentleman in question however falls into neither category and the sooner he is removed to steward his personal brand of god knows what to another section of the stadium the safer it will be for everyone in the north.It is quite worrying that whoever is in charge of the stewards has not realised this person is not up to the task.

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath

Don't make anyone out to be a martyr, they are simply a thug and a criminal and I look forward to them being dealt with by the Club and the criminal courts. Such people are the true scum and not worthy to support our great club.

So basically you know the fat tosser in question. Please can you tell him that if he goes round acting like some obnoxious arsehole on a power trip then he needs to learn to take a bit of stick. That fat c**t had a go at my mates' kid for standing on the chair (the kid, not my mate!). Against the rules you may say, but he's done it for a season and a half now without a problem. And there are about 5 other kids doing the same thing 10 feet away and nobody says anything.

Absolute greedy waste of oxygen.

What they were doing last night was singling people out, seemingly at random, for stuff that literally thousands of people were doing in the rest of the stand. Then when people got annoyed by this the heavy mob came running in and it caused a few problems.

That disgusting fat slob seems to be the main instigator, I'm not surprised someone twatted him - he deserved it after last night.

TKC

Jun 16, 2011
So basically you know the fat tosser in question. Please can you tell him that if he goes round acting like some obnoxious arsehole on a power trip then he needs to learn to take a bit of stick. That fat c**t had a go at my mates' kid for standing on the chair (the kid, not my mate!). Against the rules you may say, but he's done it for a season and a half now without a problem. And there are about 5 other kids doing the same thing 10 feet away and nobody says anything.

Absolute greedy waste of oxygen.

What they were doing last night was singling people out, seemingly at random, for stuff that literally thousands of people were doing in the rest of the stand. Then when people got annoyed by this the heavy mob came running in and it caused a few problems.

That disgusting fat slob seems to be the main instigator, I'm not surprised someone twatted him - he deserved it after last night.

He told a child off for standing on a seat. Where were the parents!!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here