Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] No point crying over spilt milk?

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Extinction Rebellion don't have a monopoly on wanting to save the planet though. Who mentioned them anyway?
Animal Rebellion, Just Stop Oil etc etc the latter being on the top of the QE bridge at Dartford at the moment.

dsr-burnley

Aug 15, 2014
I'm not sure vegans are bothered about saving the planet, more just the animals.
Veganism isn't about saving animals - quite the reverse. vegans want fewer farm animals and more crop-growing land. Vegans don't (in general) have any objection to animals being killed and eaten by other animals (my niece is vegan and keeps a cat!), they just object to animals being eaten by people.

Some of them (like my niece) are reasonable and accept that other people have different views. Some of them, like this lot who are making the dirty protest in shops, are not.

Why don't they take the milk outside first before pouring it away? It can only be because they want the supermarket staff to have the stinking job of cleaning it all up. This protest first and foremost is aimed at making supermarket staff's job miserable.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Veganism isn't about saving animals - quite the reverse. vegans want fewer farm animals and more crop-growing land. Vegans don't (in general) have any objection to animals being killed and eaten by other animals (my niece is vegan and keeps a cat!), they just object to animals being eaten by people.

Some of them (like my niece) are reasonable and accept that other people have different views. Some of them, like this lot who are making the dirty protest in shops, are not.

Why don't they take the milk outside first before pouring it away? It can only be because they want the supermarket staff to have the stinking job of cleaning it all up. This protest first and foremost is aimed at making supermarket staff's job miserable.
Yes, I'm sure that protest was 'first and foremost aimed at making supermarket staff's job miserable.'

They are probably thinking... Look at those despicable oiks slaving away for big business for less than £10 per hour. We despise them and therefore they are going to pay by having to clear up the mess we make.

Yep, I'm pretty certain that was first and foremost in their mind :facepalm:

dsr-burnley

Aug 15, 2014
Yes, I'm sure that protest was 'first and foremost aimed at making supermarket staff's job miserable.'

They are probably thinking... Look at those despicable oiks slaving away for big business for less than £10 per hour. We despise them and therefore they are going to pay by having to clear up the mess we make.

Yep, I'm pretty certain that was first and foremost in their mind :facepalm:
I don't expect it was in their minds. That would involve having two thoughts at once, which seems unlikely.

But that was the most direct and possibly only practical effect of the protest - that it had to be cleaned up.

maresfield seagull

May 23, 2006

Technically theft if they leave the premises with the milk I suppose
the dirty protest would be less dramatic pictorially as well

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Meanwhile

A spokesperson for climate change campaigners Just Stop Oil said: "My understanding is that they are going to stay up there until they're brought down.
"I don't know how they're going to be brought down, and I'm not sure the police do either."

Suggestions on a postcard to….

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Meanwhile

A spokesperson for climate change campaigners Just Stop Oil said: "My understanding is that they are going to stay up there until they're brought down.
"I don't know how they're going to be brought down, and I'm not sure the police do either."

Someone had a go...

Perfidious Albion

Oct 25, 2011
At the end of my tether
“The offence of criminal damage is an either way offence which attracts a maximum sentence of 10 years' imprisonment. Where the damage value is less than £5,000, the case must be tried summarily and attracts a maximum sentence of 3 months' imprisonment and, or a fine of up to £2,500.”

The trouble is that with the legal profession prone to strikes and backlogs in the courts , who knows when they will face justice. ?
They need to sort out the court system so they face quick and tough justice.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
I applaud them. As a man in my forties I do try to self audit my response to the younger generations’ activities, especially protest. I don’t want to automatically jump to the old man response of “Gosh! That’s terrible behaviour”.

I think their protest is quite effective. It’s making headlines. It’s visually quite effective. It’s proactive.

Protest can be shocking. On a forum where the biggest surprise most of us get is finding an old match day program in the loft while digging out the Christmas decorations, it should be embraced.

Well done girls. Less so the wee chap there who is clearly hoping for a nosh when the days’ nonsense is over.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
“The offence of criminal damage is an either way offence which attracts a maximum sentence of 10 years' imprisonment. Where the damage value is less than £5,000, the case must be tried summarily and attracts a maximum sentence of 3 months' imprisonment and, or a fine of up to £2,500.”

The trouble is that with the legal profession prone to strikes and backlogs in the courts , who knows when they will face justice. ?
They need to sort out the court system so they face quick and tough justice.

They need to sort out the court system? They being the government, who for the last 12 years has completely wrecked the Criminal Justice System, closing 50% of magistrates courts, a failed attempt at privatising the Probation Service, 21,000 fewer police, and cut the CPS by 33%?
Yet, they find time in Parliament to change laws saying a summary offence (which used to be a maximum of 6 months only) to an either way offence now attracting 10 years imprisonment, without building any more prisons.

It all sounds very good but doesn't work in practise and certainly isn't a deterrent.

dsr-burnley

Aug 15, 2014
Meanwhile

Why do they need to close the road? They aren't in the way of traffic - they're 200 feet up. It can only be dangerous if they land on a car, but they're on the posts so if that's a worry they could just close 1 lane. They'll come down when they're hungry.

Last edited:

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Why do they need to close the road? They aren't in the way of traffic - they're 200 feet up. It can only be dangerous if they land on a car, but they're on the posts so if that's a worry they could just close 1 lane. They'll come down when they're hungry.
I don’t know ..I’m just in charge of the rockets :whistle:

jcdenton08

Enemy of the People
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
Can they not be assessed, and presumably sectioned under the mental health act? They are a danger to themselves and others

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here