Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Niki Mäenpää signs a 2 year deal

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
If you are trying to say Stockdale is crap, you don't really know an awful lot about football!

Well you have to admit he didn't have the best of seasons! Obviously though he isn't 'crap' as you put it, and hopefully with this new potential signing pushing him, he will be able to improve on his consistency.

tigertim68

Sep 3, 2012
Thought this was dead in the water when Niemi left. Club must rate him highly if he's been pursued for this long. Hopefully he can push Stockdale and in turn he can cut the errors out of his game knowing that if he doesn't perform, there's an international 'keeper there ready to take his spot in the team.

How about Niemi first choice and Stockdale can be back up , sounds much better idea to me

bhanutz

Aug 23, 2005
If you think he played well last season, then you are a blue and white spectacled fool. You must be bha nutz!

I missed 5 games in total last season and either my memory is fading but can only really remember 3 or 4 mistakes... I can remember some stunning saves too that kept us in games....Believe it or not, contrary to popular belief TK also made his share of mistakes and Casper... I think it's easy to blame someone...Conceding goals was not our problem last season!

Wellesley

Jul 24, 2013
I missed 5 games in total last season and either my memory is fading but can only really remember 3 or 4 mistakes... I can remember some stunning saves too that kept us in games....Believe it or not, contrary to popular belief TK also made his share of mistakes and Casper... I think it's easy to blame someone...Conceding goals was not our problem last season!

:drink::whisky::drink::whisky::cheers: It's a bit early isn't it?

Withdean11

Feb 18, 2007
Brighton/Hyde

I'm assuming the "3 or 4" mistakes you're talking about are the ones such as against Cardiff where he dicided to run out side of his penalty box to try and punch away a ball that both Kenwyne Jones and Gordan Greer were challenging for?

How about the ones where his positioning is so bad he makes it easy for the opponent to score? That happened a lot last season.

But people like you will ignore those and tell us he has the best distribution in the league. Except he hasn't. Quite a few times last season his miss kicked clearences went straight to the opposition resulting in a goal either immediatly or from the following play.

bhanutz

Aug 23, 2005
I'm assuming the "3 or 4" mistakes you're talking about are the ones such as against Cardiff where he dicided to run out side of his penalty box to try and punch away a ball that both Kenwyne Jones and Gordan Greer were challenging for?

How about the ones where his positioning is so bad he makes it easy for the opponent to score? That happened a lot last season.

But people like you will ignore those and tell us he has the best distribution in the league. Except he hasn't. Quite a few times last season his miss kicked clearences went straight to the opposition resulting in a goal either immediatly or from the following play.

I agree. He made mistakes, he is the first to admit it. He is far from crap though and made some very good saves that kept us in games! Dont forget, In Sami's reign he wasnt offered too much protection when the full backs thought they were wingers! Brentford away, a prime example!

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
I agree. He made mistakes, he is the first to admit it. He is far from crap though and made some very good saves that kept us in games! Dont forget, In Sami's reign he wasnt offered too much protection when the full backs thought they were wingers! Brentford away, a prime example!

Exactly

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset

Whilst I wasn't greatly impressed with DS's form last season that is absolute garbage. :nono:

Wellesley

Jul 24, 2013
As you clearly know better, how many goals were directly attributable to a mistake made by Stockdale? You probably think they all were!

Oh yeah, hang on, I think I've got it written down somewhere. I'll have to get back to you.

Wellesley

Jul 24, 2013

Hopefully he'll decide to get fit from the start of the season now that he knows he has got real competition, instead of waiting until November to lose weight, like last season, when he was out with a broken finger and his place was threatened.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
How I feel. It appears according to the Argus that there are conditions, which I'd imagine relate to appearances.

Whilst I am supportive of what the club is trying to achieve re Walton and having 3 keepers, is that chap really going to challenge Stockdale?

I can't help but think I'd have preferred a similar situation to the one we had with Kuszczak where Brez and Casper backed up.

Come to think of it isn't Brez available? [emoji6]

I'd prefer Stockdale to have proper competition, maybe this guy will provide it, but my first impression is that he's here as back up.

What do I know though, maybe we are about to sell Stockdale and bring somebody else in....

Megazone

On his last warning
Jan 28, 2015
Northern Hemisphere.
I'd prefer Stockdale to have proper competition, maybe this guy will provide it, but my first impression is that he's here as back up.

What do I know though, maybe we are about to sell Stockdale and bring somebody else in....

I cant imagine Stockdale's wages being cheap. This sounds more like a replacement.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
Crawley now being ruled out as a loan destination for Walton. Not unhappy with that as living and managing independently are a big part of the development process IMO.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here