Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Niki Mäenpää signs a 2 year deal

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
goalkeepers Eh! who would be one
you might ask the poigant question, just how many goals did our forwards score while our defence including DS were trying desperately to keep them out at the other end?

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Thought this was dead in the water when Niemi left. Club must rate him highly if he's been pursued for this long. Hopefully he can push Stockdale and in turn he can cut the errors out of his game knowing that if he doesn't perform, there's an international 'keeper there ready to take his spot in the team.

I don't think we've pursued him at all. I think it was established that we want him & he was willing to come, but it was put on hold until we got Ben Roberts in as coach.
Roberts was probably asked if he thought the same as the recruiting team, which then gave the green light to the contract being drawn up.

I'd prefer Stockdale to have proper competition, maybe this guy will provide it, but my first impression is that he's here as back up.

What do I know though, maybe we are about to sell Stockdale and bring somebody else in....

I thought NooBHA posted that the plan was to move Stockdale on? He seems to know what he's talking about

TSB

Captain Hindsight
Jul 7, 2003
Lansdowne Place, Hove
I thought NooBHA posted that the plan was to move Stockdale on? He seems to know what he's talking about

He/she writes with a tone of certainty that people mistake for authority.
They've got nothing right so far this summer so there's no reason that load of bollocks would be any more realistic.
As it is, I happen to know that Hughton rates Big Dave highly.

SweatyMexican

Mar 31, 2013
I don't know about this one. I somewhat rate Stockdale after the second half of last season, and I'd wonder why we resigned Ankergren if we're going to bring in another keeper just to be backup.

With FFP and all that, would it be better to save £0000s in Niki's wages, but potentially cost us a point or two over the season, when Ankergren comes in, instead of Niki? If the club didn't think Ankergren was worth his salt, what would be the point of signing him on again for another year?

S'hampton Seagull

Oct 12, 2003
Southampton
I don't know about this one. I somewhat rate Stockdale after the second half of last season, and I'd wonder why we resigned Ankergren if we're going to bring in another keeper just to be backup.

With FFP and all that, would it be better to save £0000s in Niki's wages, but potentially cost us a point or two over the season, when Ankergren comes in, instead of Niki? If the club didn't think Ankergren was worth his salt, what would be the point of signing him on again for another year?

I think how highly the club rate Walton is the driving force. They see him as a future No. 1, but want him to gain more experience by playing first team football, hence the proposed loan move. We still need 3 keepers, so this guy will provide strong competition for Stockdale.

If Walton does well in his loan spell then presumably we would release Ankers in the summer or sell one of Stockdale (who would then be within 12 months of the end of his contract) or Maenpaa.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester

Most squads - even WC squads - have 3 keepers with the 3rd being for emergency use, don't they? Even if the 3rd choice doesn't play all season, it's sensible to have an experienced bench keeper for cup games or when either the 1st or 2nd choice are injured.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Most squads - even WC squads - have 3 keepers with the 3rd being for emergency use, don't they? Even if the 3rd choice doesn't play all season, it's sensible to have an experienced bench keeper for cup games or when either the 1st or 2nd choice are injured.

This. Dave and Niki as 1 & 2 (either way round), Casper as no 3 and Walton getting a full season on loan as no1 in a L1 team before coming back next season as potentially our no1, or being sold (probably more likely) for a big fee.

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
I think how highly the club rate Walton is the driving force. They see him as a future No. 1, but want him to gain more experience by playing first team football, hence the proposed loan move. We still need 3 keepers, so this guy will provide strong competition for Stockdale.

If Walton does well in his loan spell then presumably we would release Ankers in the summer or sell one of Stockdale (who would then be within 12 months of the end of his contract) or Maenpaa.

Agree on this front. This may link to the clause in the contract Naylor was alluding to wherein he has a two-year contract with the second year being contingent on certain criteria being met. So if Walton develops to be a serious competitor for Stockdale, we have the option to release Maenpaa if need be. Either way, I think this is Ankergren's last season on the wage bill.

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
He/she writes with a tone of certainty that people mistake for authority.
They've got nothing right so far this summer so there's no reason that load of bollocks would be any more realistic.
As it is, I happen to know that Hughton rates Big Dave highly.

That really surprises me.

Or maybe it doesnt given that if you want to get as big a fee for someone that you can then you have to be seen to talk the player up. He has never said to me anything one way or the other, whether he rates him or not but reading between the lines at the tail end of last year I just got the impression that Stockdale won't be first choice keeper whether he is still here or not come the start of this season.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
NooBHA;6984903 reading between the lines at the tail end of last year I just got the impression that Stockdale won't be first choice keeper whether he is still here or not come the start of this season.[/QUOTE said:
I think this is how most people l have read the situation and statement as it has been reported.

TSB

Captain Hindsight
Jul 7, 2003
Lansdowne Place, Hove
That really surprises me.

Or maybe it doesnt given that if you want to get as big a fee for someone that you can then you have to be seen to talk the player up. He has never said to me anything one way or the other, whether he rates him or not but reading between the lines at the tail end of last year I just got the impression that Stockdale won't be first choice keeper whether he is still here or not come the start of this season.

It's a theory, but it's wrong. Stocko will be here and first choice barring a horrendous pre-season.
Inside scoop from the man who knows best.

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)
How on earth do you think you know how most people read the situation?

I've felt Bensgrandad meddling around in my thoughts a few times. I considered myself under his influence setting fire to some terrapin cubs, the thick oily scent and their noiseless screams still with me, but the authorities wouldn't have it. I have just around 7 months now until I'm even allowed to pet a wet reptile.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
It's a theory, but it's wrong. Stocko will be here and first choice barring a horrendous pre-season.
Inside scoop from the man who knows best.
Stockdales agent?

:jester:

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
I'd prefer Stockdale to have proper competition, maybe this guy will provide it, but my first impression is that he's here as back up.

What do I know though, maybe we are about to sell Stockdale and bring somebody else in....

But assuming that any new signing will be on a good wage, is it a good use of resources to have two highly paid keepers?

How many other clubs in the division will be going this way, normally it is first choice with adequate cover. Unless as you say, there are plans to offload Stockdale and if that is the case regardless of experience I'd be inclined to let Walton battle any new signing.

If that isn't the case I think longer term the plan will be to cash in on Stockdale and go with Walton.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here