Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Niki Mäenpää signs a 2 year deal

Zebedee

Anyone seen Florence?
Jul 8, 2003
Hangleton
Not if he's out on loan to another club to gain experience (which he will be).

He doesn't need to go on loan - he's good enough to play for the first team now....all in my view, of course, which I recognise counts for nowt.:D

Lurchy

Jul 2, 2014
He doesn't need to go on loan - he's good enough to play for the first team now....all in my view, of course, which I recognise counts for nowt.:D

It's important that players (and especially goalkeepers) get fist team football to aid their development. A season out on loan and as first choice keeper could do wonders for Walton - he would come back a much better player than he is now.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
What about Paul Robinson 35 years old would add possible competition to DS and be good cover. He has been released by Blackburn and is apparently talking to Bradford. Location may be a problem as he wouldnt want to move I wouldnt think at his age so possibly train generally with a senior non league club near his home and just come to us for matches.

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
What about Paul Robinson 35 years old would add possible competition to DS and be good cover. He has been released by Blackburn and is apparently talking to Bradford. Location may be a problem as he wouldnt want to move I wouldnt think at his age so possibly train generally with a senior non league club near his home and just come to us for matches.

That is quite an interesting call BG - Chris Hughton and Paul Robinson are very good friends.

I still think Stockdale will be offloaded if we can get the majority of our money back. I initially thought Mark Bunn would have been brought in but the Paul Robinson scenario may be more realistic but I still think it all hinges on getting Stockdale sold

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
That is quite an interesting call BG - Chris Hughton and Paul Robinson are very good friends.

I still think Stockdale will be offloaded if we can get the majority of our money back. I initially thought Mark Bunn would have been brought in but the Paul Robinson scenario may be more realistic but I still think it all hinges on getting Stockdale sold

The comments about wanting competition for DS do suggest that CH has not been won over by him.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Been impressed with the probable quality of the three signings made so far, pretty underwhelmed by this one though. Is he really going to be competition for Stockdale, or aren't we going to bother giving him competition?

Hyperion

Nov 1, 2010
Been impressed with the probable quality of the three signings made so far, pretty underwhelmed by this one though. Is he really going to be competition for Stockdale, or aren't we going to bother giving him competition?

How much do you know about this keeper then? Have you made your mind up based a You Tube video then?

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
How much do you know about this keeper then? Have you made your mind up based a You Tube video then?

I haven't made up my mind but am certainly not impressed with what I've seen on the youtube video.

Hyperion

Nov 1, 2010
I haven't made up my mind but am certainly not impressed with what I've seen on the youtube video.

Well it's just as well our scouting team doesn't use an edited video to form a balanced view of his credentials then. Watching those things, good or bad are pointless

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
so possibly train generally with a senior non league club near his home and just come to us for matches.

I cannot for a single second think that we would even consider such a ridiculous arrangement - why would we want one of our players training with facilities several tiers below what we can offer, and with a completely different set of coaches?

Utterly insane suggestion there, I'm afraid.

HantsSeagull

Aug 17, 2011
Caught in a Riptide
I cannot for a single second think that we would even consider such a ridiculous arrangement - why would we want one of our players training with facilities several tiers below what we can offer, and with a completely different set of coaches?

surprise surprise

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath

It happens in many cases where players for whatever reason do not train with the team all of the time and join up prior to matches, if experienced settled players.

Saturday match= Sunday Monday off at home Tuesday train locally Wednesday come down and train with the team on Thursday and or travel Friday.

When Allan Simmonson signed for Charlton he flew into a local airport near the game on Staurday morning played the game then flew back home to Denmark Saturday night. He came back for midweek games doing the same. So it is not so unusual.

Revelation

Jul 3, 2015
All part of a Merry Go Round!

Mäenpää to Brighton

And within 7 days Walton will be on loan at Crawley Town

Mr Bridger

Sound of the suburbs
Feb 25, 2013
Earth
How are we pronouncing his surname before we start making up songs for him?

Zebedee

Anyone seen Florence?
Jul 8, 2003
Hangleton
I am far from clear that we need a new goalkeeper. I hope we've not spent too much time chasing Mäenpää. I have been pleased with our signings so far this year but find this one uninspiring.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here