[Politics] Nicola Sturgeon resigning

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
@Weststander post#90 probably explains it better than i could , but if i had to guess i would suggest you cant restructure a country overnight , you will have business`s leaving people relocating , border controls visa`s , one government being born while leaving another . Denmark has been a nation for centuries , even something simple like joining or leaving the EU takes years , who would fund /subsidise that , would you be happy paying your tax to build someone else`s country who wants nothing more to do with you but needs you money ? .
I don't see this as anything other than short-term logistical issues. If the EU will entertain admitting Moldova, Ukraine they'll fast track Scotland back in no time. Scotland is as much of a historic country as Croatia who also had no government or currency as they were governed from Belgrade, but it hasn't stopped them becoming an autonomous state in the EU (Also population c 6million)..

Tony Towner's Fridge

Aug 22, 2003
GLASGOW,SCOTLAND,UK
I have been celebrating all day. Good riddance to a sociopathic nonentity who has lied and falsified her way to the very top of Scottish politics. History and the courts will unveil and show her to be a complete and absolute devisive and nasty character. May her and her awful nationalistic nasty , bigoted and racist party burn in Hell.
Awful , awful , awful woman...

Onwards and upwards.....

TNBA

TTF

TugWilson

I gotta admit that I`m a little bit confused
Dec 8, 2020
Dorset
I don't see this as anything other than short-term logistical issues. If the EU will entertain admitting Moldova, Ukraine they'll fast track Scotland back in no time. Scotland is as much of a historic country as Croatia who also had no government or currency as they were governed from Belgrade, but it hasn't stopped them becoming an autonomous state in the EU (Also population c 6million)..
What kind of time line is "fast track" and what if they don`t "entertain" admitting Scotland , how much and what is the cost to Scotland , it wont come cheap . When we left they went out of their way to prolong and antagonise us , i don`t see Scotland being welcomed with open arms .

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
I have been celebrating all day. Good riddance to a sociopathic nonentity who has lied and falsified her way to the very top of Scottish politics. History and the courts will unveil and show her to be a complete and absolute devisive and nasty character. May her and her awful nationalistic nasty , bigoted and racist party burn in Hell.
Awful , awful , awful woman...

Onwards and upwards.....

TNBA

TTF
I think that's very slightly OTT ......... but .........................
:lolol:

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
What kind of time line is "fast track" and what if they don`t "entertain" admitting Scotland , how much and what is the cost to Scotland , it wont come cheap . When we left they went out of their way to prolong and antagonise us , i don`t see Scotland being welcomed with open arms .
"fast track" is political posturing for pretending some special treatment where there is none. there are rules, extensive conditions to agree and show compliance with. if one country gets special treatment they'll all expect it, and most members had to jump through hoops they'll not like newcomers getting shortcuts.

TugWilson

I gotta admit that I`m a little bit confused
Dec 8, 2020
Dorset
"fast track" is political posturing for pretending some special treatment where there is none. there are rules, extensive conditions to agree and show compliance with. if one country gets special treatment they'll all expect it, and most members had to jump through hoops they'll not like newcomers getting shortcuts.
That`s one of the few things political i have understood today , and it makes sense , damn now i`m even more confused :lolol:

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Except that the geographical area of Scotland has been part of the EU for almost 50 years, voted overwhelmingly to remain and is used to adhering to EU rules, so a totally different and unique case to other candidate countries. They won't need favours to be able to pass compliance rules.

Silverhatch

Feb 23, 2009
Preston Park
Most things in life are about timing. If the independence vote had occurred after Brexit then there’s a good chance that the Scots would now be an independent nation and trying to get EU membership reinstated. That’s why Sturgeon couldn’t let it go and continued to chase Ref2.

Wokeworrier

Aug 7, 2021
West sussex/travelling
Most things in life are about timing. If the independence vote had occurred after Brexit then there’s a good chance that the Scots would now be an independent nation and trying to get EU membership reinstated. That’s why Sturgeon couldn’t let it go and continued to chase Ref2.

Nah, that doesn't make any sense, as the whole nationalist /SNP argument was about breaking free from a hugely succesfull political and economic union combining a few countries forged over hundreds of years while claiming belonging to a union of 25 + nations created over a much shorter period where Scotlands voice would be virtually irrelevant would be a better option ...

Eric the meek

Fiveways Wilf
NSC Patron
Aug 24, 2020
I had no time for Nicola Sturgeon or her SNP thuggery.

Neither did anyone else. Here is how the Times described her resignation.

'The Times describes Scottish First Minister Nicola Sturgeon's resignation as a "huge boost to unionism". It says senior Tories as well as Labour figures reacted with jubilation, with a Labour source quoted as saying: "It's great for us. The SNP is about to start a rats-fighting-in-a-sack race."

It conjures up a great picture, of a UK Prime Minister holding the sack at arms length.
Chuck in a bottle of whisky from time to time and they'll be fine.

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
The husband of former first minister Nicola Sturgeon has been arrested in connection with an investigation into Scottish National Party finances

Stu.jpg

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports