[Politics] Nicola Sturgeon resigning

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
You asked the rhetorical question whether Brightonians should get independence like the Scots because like the Scots they don't get the government they voted for.

The answer is no, because Scotland is a country within a union whereas Brighton is a city that has never been independent of England. To compare the two is dumb.
And only since 1707.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
You asked the rhetorical question whether Brightonians should get independence like the Scots because like the Scots they don't get the government they voted for.
Oh, so I did. I'd forgotten I added that part to my post. I started with the fact that many places don't get the political party they vote for, and then I threw in the independence part.

The answer is no, because Scotland is a country within a union whereas Brighton is a city that has never been independent of England.
Obviously you know I disagree with you about Scotland being a country.

Should all places that used to be independent, have the ability to have independence votes, and how often should they get them? England didn't always used to be one country, so should the old sections be allowed to vote for independence? What are the rules we're making up to decide these things?

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Oh, so I did. I'd forgotten I added that part to my post. I started with the fact that many places don't get the political party they vote for, and then I threw in the independence part.

Should all places that used to be independent, have the ability to have independence votes, and how often should they get them? England didn't always used to be one country, so should the old sections be allowed to vote for independence? What are the rules we're making up to decide these things?
The Irish managed it 100 years ago. They were fed up with the way London/Westminster treated them.
Don't forget the land owners who threw all the crofters out. I have some sympathy with the Scots even though I wanted them to stay in the United Kingdom, but they were sold down the river with false promises.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove

If Scotland isn't a country, then the United Kingdom is just a bunch of bullshit?

TugWilson

I gotta admit that I`m a little bit confused
Dec 8, 2020
Dorset
Well I'm no fan of breaking up the UK. But if you recall the Scots were promised by a Tory government to vote NO stay to stay in the EU. Within months of NO vote secured, they embarked on their EU referendum journey to try and save their own party, this having failed to secure a majority government in a generation.

So I can understand the SNP grievance, this has been exacerbated by the English nativist government we're had since that pretends to be Unionist flag shaggers but is anything but...
Not being politically inclined in any way i`m totally unaware of any of that , but politicians keeping their word is as rare as VAR not screwing up . On the other hand to let 5.5m people dictate the future of 67.5m people to further their own agenda is pretty crappy too , besides the referendum was their chance to have their say as well as everyone else , but as we all know you cant make everyone happy all the time .

Reddleman

May 17, 2017
Undoubtedly a better leader than the last 4 Tory Prime Ministers, possibly the last 5.
No she’s not. Her absolute primary goal is independence, she has completely failed to move that forward at all with support lowest it’s been in years and no route to even have a referendum, that’s despite Brexit, Boris, Tories, Truss etc. Absolutely perfect scenario and she’s has made zero progress.

On domestic issues education, once Scotlands pride, has seen plummeting standards, so much so she withdrew us from PISA, she’s failed to meet every health target she set herself. Combine that with named persons fiasco, ferries, the hated GRR bill, the taxation debacle etc etc and it’s a decade with literally no meaningful achievements.

She has divided Scotland to a level I’ve never seen in my lifetime, she thrives on petty grievance and her going is a wonderful day for Scotland.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
If Scotland isn't a country, then the United Kingdom is just a bunch of bullshit?
What? The UK is just a union of different places. It's not relevant whether they used to be countries or not, any area could have joined the union.

Last edited:

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
The SNP`s main objective is surely attaining fair representation for Scotland , Independence on the face of it is purely for the shop window as it is totally unachievable . The UK`s population is 67.5m of which Scotland represents only 5.5m of that , it would litterally be impossible for them to become self sustaining , they would have to be very heavily subsidised - that is not Independence . If securing Scotland`s future is the main aim for the SNP , then surely remaining a part of the UK with a voice is the most advantageous position for them .
Why would 6m population Scotland not be able to sustain itself but 6m population Denmark manage it comfortably?

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
The nsc cavalry have arrived.

Same thing. Englishmen wanting Scottish independence, whether the Scottish want it or not, to ‘spite’ their English political adversaries.

Sturgeon or the SNP are not Scotland.

This isn’t Catalunya where the overwhelming majority wanted independence, thwarted by Madrid violence and prison sentences. At least half of voting Scots want the Union.

My Scottish colleagues laugh at the suggestion, craftily constructed over the last 30 years, of a nation suppressed over 300 or 400 years, in an unequal partnership. Instead seeing a UK where Scots have been many of the key players in every field, have thrived as much as English or Welsh folk.

The SNP created this divisiveness, it’s how these movements work. Wanting Scots to feel hard done by, the English to say sod them.

If Scottish independence had been discussed on nsc prior to 6 May 2010, I’d bet hardly anyone would’ve been pro Scottish independence. Thirteen years of not getting your way in party politics, has led to thrashing around jumping on any bandwagon that’s anti your opponents. Similar to hypocrisy in people singing Corbyn’s praises, then most siding with Starmer in the spat.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
The nsc cavalry have arrived.

Same thing. Englishmen wanting Scottish independence, whether the Scottish want it or not, to ‘spite’ their English political adversaries.

Sturgeon or the SNP are not Scotland.

This isn’t Catalunya where the overwhelming majority wanted independence, thwarted by Madrid violence and prison sentences. At least half of voting Scots want the Union.

My Scottish colleagues laugh at the suggestion, craftily constructed over the last 30 years, of a nation suppressed over 300 or 400 years, in an unequal partnership. Instead seeing a UK where Scots have been many of the key players in every field, have thrived as much as English or Welsh folk.

The SNP created this divisiveness, it’s how these movements work. Wanting Scots to feel hard done by, the English to say sod them.

If Scottish independence had been discussed on nsc prior to 6 May 2010, I’d bet hardly anyone would’ve been pro Scottish independence. Thirteen years of not getting your way in party politics, has led to thrashing around jumping on any bandwagon that’s anti your opponents. Similar to hypocrisy in people singing Corbyn’s praises, then most siding with Starmer in the spat.
Devolution has been on the agenda for a long time. That’s why there is a Scottish, and Welsh Assembly.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Devolution has been on the agenda for a long time. That’s why there is a Scottish, and Welsh Assembly.
Like you, I have a good memory, including on politics. On this, going back to Margo Macdonald, the 70’s referendum and Jim Sillars. Devolution to nations is only right, if they want it. The same in Spain.

Independence is a totally different kettle of fish.

Quizzing that memory of yours, what was your view on Scottish independence prior to May 2010?

TugWilson

Dec 8, 2020
Dorset
Why would 6m population Scotland not be able to sustain itself but 6m population Denmark manage it comfortably?
@Weststander post#90 probably explains it better than i could , but if i had to guess i would suggest you cant restructure a country overnight , you will have business`s leaving people relocating , border controls visa`s , one government being born while leaving another . Denmark has been a nation for centuries , even something simple like joining or leaving the EU takes years , who would fund /subsidise that , would you be happy paying your tax to build someone else`s country who wants nothing more to do with you but needs you money ? .

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Like you, I have a good memory, including on politics. On this, going back to Margo Macdonald, the 70’s referendum and Jim Sillars. Devolution to nations is only right, if they want it. The same in Spain.

Independence is a totally different kettle of fish.

Quizzing that memory of yours, what was your view on Scottish independence prior to May 2010?
I have always wanted them to stay in the Union. Devolution is ok but division always causes problems, which is why I believe in the EU. Cooperation works.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
@Weststander post#90 probably explains it better than i could , but if i had to guess i would suggest you cant restructure a country overnight , you will have business`s leaving people relocating , border controls visa`s , one government being born while leaving another . Denmark has been a nation for centuries , even something simple like joining or leaving the EU takes years , who would fund /subsidise that , would you be happy paying your tax to build someone else`s country who wants nothing more to do with you but needs you money ? .
Denmark make quality products, plus they’re huge in shipping and distribution. Not acquired overnight, it’s in their DNA. Similar to Germany and Austria (but the latter aren’t too hot at shipping :lolol: ).

Ireland was a totally different story:
1. Colossal EU grants.
2. A tax haven for US multinationals avoiding taxes in Europe.
3. A residential property boom built on corruption between banks and developers in the 00’s. Leading to a huge crash bigger than the UK’s, 15 years of negative equity until 2022, court cases and ghost private housing estates. There was trendy phrase in the 00’s “Celtic Tiger”. The phrase was buried in 2008.

Last edited:

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I have always wanted them to stay in the Union. Devolution is ok but division always causes problems, which is why I believe in the EU. Cooperation works.
I believe in the United Kingdom (4 nations), the EU and our full membership of the EU.

Not least, for people who think Brexit’s hilarious, think about this, Putin and Trump loved Brexit. Why?

TugWilson

Dec 8, 2020
Dorset
Denmark make quality products, plus they’re huge in shipping and distribution. Not acquired overnight, it’s in their DNA. Similar to Germany and Austria (but the latter aren’t too hot at shipping :lolol: ).

Ireland was a totally different storuy:
1. Colossal EU grants.
2. A tax haven for US multinationals avoiding taxes in Europe.
3. A residential property boom built on corruption between banks and developers in the 00’s. Leading to a huge crash bigger than the UK’s, 15 years of negative equity until 2022, court cases and ghost private housing estates. Their was trendy phrase in the 00’s “Celtic Tiger”. The phrase was buried in 2008.
Whoosh , every day`s a learning day and there ain`t enough left (y):lolol:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports