Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

New striker

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
DAMANCLAY said:
Anyway, had we actually gone for Lee, who do you think he would have chosen? Us or Ipswich.

I don't think Ipswich were in the hunt when we actually did go in for him... we decided he was too expensive!... compare him to El Turi... which would you prefer?...

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
DAMANCLAY said:
I never said it didn't, but he is hardly prolific. I just dont think hes the right player for us, and 100k and 6k a week is a big gamble.

... but he is exactly the type of player MM wants... experienced at our level, a target man, scores goals at CCC level... can act as mentor to our promising youngsters... we should have bitten the bullet when we had a chance... too late now... ah well... :down:

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Seagullible said:
Just trying to show the positive side. we aren't finished by a long way and don't think it helps the current players by saying they aren't goo enough to stay up.

I agree we CAN stay-up without a new striker... of course we can... anything's possible... but even MM is on record as saying we need to get in a new striker, and I'm sure the players take more notice of his views than ours (at least I hope they do!)...

Da Man Clay

T'Blades
Dec 16, 2004
B.W. said:
I don't think Ipswich were in the hunt when we actually did go in for him... we decided he was too expensive!... compare him to El Turi... which would you prefer?...

Fair point. Was under the impression that ipswich were after him the same time as us. Still 38 goals in about 6(?) season at this level. Thats only averaging 6 goals a season. CKR nearly has that and Knight had 4 in half a season.

Da Man Clay

T'Blades
Dec 16, 2004
B.W. said:

Fair point. Was under the impression that ipswich were after him the same time as us. Still 38 goals in about 6(?) season at this level. Thats only averaging 6 goals a season. CKR nearly has that and Knight had 4 in half a season.

B.W. said:
... but he is exactly the type of player MM wants... experienced at our level, a target man, scores goals at CCC level... can act as mentor to our promising youngsters... we should have bitten the bullet when we had a chance... too late now... ah well... :down:
We could't break our wage structure for a player who had got two goals this season before Saturday. The knock-on effect on team spirit on the rest of the squad would be too damaging.

B.W. said:
Thierry Henry? We must compare like with like and it's obvious that El Turi isn't on anywhere near what Ispwich can pay Lee.

Uncle Buck said:
But if we had the money, surely the fact he is an international footballer would have justified making him one of the higher earners?

No - Hendo is an U21 cap and will be an international footballer at full level too before long, but we were right to stand firm against attempts to overinflate his value. It's the only way you can run the club in our current restricted circumstances. It's the easiest thing in the world to say you want to spend other people's money that they probably don't even have in the first place.

Last edited:

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Uncle Buck said:
In fairness like England they are short of keepers, so he may get capped along the way, especially with Kiely not playing for Charlton.

The only way will be if Given is suspended or injured as he is young and will be the goalkeeper for some time to come.

Uncle Buck

Ghost Writer
Jul 7, 2003
BensGrandad said:
The only way will be if Given is suspended or injured as he is young and will be the goalkeeper for some time to come.

But you still play your reserves in friendlies so they get some experience, that is how players like Cotton, Wright and Spink somehow have England caps.

For England it is a worry that Kirkland seems to be number 2, yet he has still never played for England.

TSB

Captain Hindsight
Jul 7, 2003
Lansdowne Place, Hove
BensGrandad said:

If you check LI's post, there is no mention of him being selected above Given,just that he will be a full international...considering friendlies,injuries etc the chances are he will...so why are you arguing about it?

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I do not believe that they will play him for a couple of years yet.

Who knows what will have come on by then.

Henderson is a reasonably good CCC goalkeeper but certinly nowhere near Premiership or International class yet although he may be one day when he is a bit older. Why do people have to heep pressure on a player so quickly?

algie

The moaning of life
Jan 8, 2006
In rehab
fake slim said:
All your FACTS are starting to get a little dull now kev.

I'll make a bet with you when the transfer window closes that we will stay up with the squad we have on feb 1st and i will win...so there

Ill take you up on that offer if we don't sign a forward.Pm for details

Trigger

Jul 4, 2003
Brighton
I'll settle for a loan striker until the end of the season.

No new striker = League One football in August, FACT.

algie

The moaning of life
Jan 8, 2006
In rehab
Trigger said:
I'll settle for a loan striker until the end of the season.

No new striker = League One football in August, FACT.
Agree

Not only have we sold our main striker(glad we did)you can't expect us to stay up without replacing him.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here