New striker

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
been flogged to death this one I know but it was interesting that there were no post match comments about strikers, the Argus has no speculative storys about strikers as per normal on a Monday + even NSC is distinctly lacking on talk about a new striker.
The management who were busy on scouting trips which wern't free now seem to have nothing in the pipline (that we know of)

so, has everyone given up hope and accepted that no new striker will be joining in the January transfer window ?

ditchy

a man with a sound track record as a source of qua
Jul 8, 2003
brighton
Realisticly i dont think it will happen .. i hope im wrong

algie

The moaning of life
Jan 8, 2006
In rehab
If we don't get one then it's curtains for us

See-Goals

DIIIIIIIIIIIIIVE
Aug 13, 2004
Seaford
I think we're missing the point - what type of striker is available out there on a free 8 days away from the window deadline?

Here's a clue - not a prolific one.

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
the talk of players not wanting to come here while partly valid is surely an excuse , if this was the case how come we atracted the following players all on loan and all in our current predicament ?
the players must be out there....

Trevor Benjamin
Tony Rougier
Steve Sidwell
Ivor Ingarmarson
Darius Henderson

(these off top of my head , sure there are plenty more)

attila

1997 Club
Jul 17, 2003
South Central Southwick
When I talked to Dick Knight about this at the youth team game he made the obvious point that anyone brought in has got to improve on what we have at the moment. That is the problem, of course: finding a proven, quality striker who is prepared to come and play at Withdean. Bloody NiMBYS. Bastard Archer. Ten years on.....and we're still battling against all the odds. But rest assured they are all doing their best.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
See-Goals said:
I think we're missing the point - what type of striker is available out there on a free 8 days away from the window deadline?

Here's a clue - not a prolific one.

Should the problem been addressed ion summer when plenty where out of contract

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Surely ANYONE would be an improvement on McCammon / McPhee?

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
Here's a clue.

Wages.
We looked at Alan Lee - 6K a week.
Location.
We looked at Freddy Eastwood who refused to leave home.

TSB

Captain Hindsight
Jul 7, 2003
Lansdowne Place, Hove
Surely we could still get one on loan? Which means they don't need to play at the withers permanently.

We MUST be able to get someone on loan,surely

Stinky Kat

Tripping
Oct 27, 2004
Catsfield
Its plain to see that whatever s out there is too much money for us. Example Graham Roberts says Clyde want £1,000,000 for Tom Brighton and we either aint got the money or DK dont want to spend it cause he thinks it wont be better than what we have already got.

Da Man Clay

T'Blades
Dec 16, 2004
Pavilionaire said:
Surely ANYONE would be an improvement on McCammon / McPhee?

But neither of them are playing, are they? McCammon who is fit cant make the bench and McPhee is injured and wasn't making the bench b4. I think we are looking to improve on Hart/Robinson/CKR/Gatting.

Da Man Clay

T'Blades
Dec 16, 2004
Stinky Kat said:
Its plain to see that whatever s out there is too much money for us. Example Graham Roberts says Clyde want £1,000,000 for Tom Brighton and we either aint got the money or DK dont want to spend it cause he thinks it wont be better than what we have already got.

If we had a million quid i certainly wouldn't chuck it all away on Tom Brighton. And neither would DK.

Stinky Kat

Tripping
Oct 27, 2004
Catsfield
DAMANCLAY said:
If we had a million quid i certainly wouldn't chuck it all away on Tom Brighton. And neither would DK.

Nor would I but shows you what an inflated market we are up against.

Brighton watched Tom Brighton and said he is not up to Championship standard so Roberts can sing for his million

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
Yorkie said:
Here's a clue.

Wages.
We looked at Alan Lee - 6K a week.
Location.
We looked at Freddy Eastwood who refused to leave home.

I'm sorry but the wages is excuse is simply not true. We have lost arguably our main striker freeing up 6k in wages. This was not expected and we had previously expected to keep paying these wages for the foreseeable future. Dick Knight also said we had some money available to strengthen so we DO have money for wages.

Ding Dong !

Boy I'm HOT today !
Jul 26, 2004
Worthing
hmmmm..........at this late stage in the January transfer window I don't think there will be a striker coming in either permanently or on loan, though I hope I'm proved wrong !:nono:

Da Man Clay

T'Blades
Dec 16, 2004
Dougal said:
I'm sorry but the wages is excuse is simply not true. We have lost arguably our main striker freeing up 6k in wages. This was not expected and we had previously expected to keep paying these wages for the foreseeable future. Dick Knight also said we had some money available to strengthen so we DO have money for wages.

Knight was not on 6K a week, he was on about 4k. I dont expect us to spend about 27k a month on a player like Alan Lee who really isn't worth that kind of money. I expect if the right player came along we could find 6k a week

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports