Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

New BBQ Gas or charcoal

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
A big vote for Gas, last summer I Bbq'd upto 3 times a week! What better way to get the whole family round the table even after a long day at work

Nearly six years on I can now confirm I’ve jut built my 2021 Christmas Present from my kids, and boy does it look good, can’t wait to use it [emoji122]

A Weber 57cm Kettle Charcoal BBQ

Edit and I got the Weber Chimney starter too.
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Nearly six years on I can now confirm I’ve jut built my 2021 Christmas Present from my kids, and boy does it look good, can’t wait to use it [emoji122]

A Weber 57cm Kettle Charcoal BBQ

Edit and I got the Weber Chimney starter too.

57mm proper size

Love the chimney starters are great, 2 sheets of your newspaper and you're away.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Ahhh I was going to ask about that, I wasn’t sure what was best, newspaper or starter cubes [emoji106]

Newspaper, just 2 or 3 sheets, decent lumpwood charcoal and you're there in 10-15 mins

First 5 mins annoys my neighbour, loads of smoke

MTSeagulls

Sep 18, 2019
Ahhh I was going to ask about that, I wasn’t sure what was best, newspaper or starter cubes [emoji106]

A little trick I learnt here in Brazil after many failed attempts with various cubes and chemicals.
Make a mound of charcoal and create a little hole in the top like a volcano.
Wrap (clean 😁) toilet roll around two fingers around 8 times and twist the bottom to make a cup. Put about an inch of cooking oil in the cup and place in the hole at the top of the charcoal mound. Light and sit back and watch it take light. No fuel smells and almost a 100% record of it lighting first time.
For larger bbqs I have seen whole toilet rolls soaked in cooking oil used.

ANdy1

Apr 20, 2022
I prefer using gas grill, but my parents have charcoal one so I do not have to change my gas one because I can use both whenever I want. Actually I am thinking of having one of these pellet grills for my sister's birthday that I could have an opportunity to use any kind of grill :)
Talking about convinience and taste I like charcoal and pellet more than gas.

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
Happy to recommend these, which are available again for a short period.
https://www.aldi.co.uk/gardenline-kamado-ceramic-egg-bbq/p/710081596330401?gclid=CjwKCAjwtIaVBhBkEiwAsr7-c7XcCgN_9G_G529tZYFsBdaVVroBK9fFc5aJ_zANai7ff9Xa0L7lrBoCYCQQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

Gardenline-Kamado-Ceramic-Egg-BBQ-A.jpg

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly

schmunk

"Members"
Jan 19, 2018
Mid mid mid Sussex
A little trick I learnt here in Brazil after many failed attempts with various cubes and chemicals.
Make a mound of charcoal and create a little hole in the top like a volcano.
Wrap (clean ��) toilet roll around two fingers around 8 times and twist the bottom to make a cup. Put about an inch of cooking oil in the cup and place in the hole at the top of the charcoal mound. Light and sit back and watch it take light. No fuel smells and almost a 100% record of it lighting first time.
For larger bbqs I have seen whole toilet rolls soaked in cooking oil used.

That seems an awful lot more effort than just stuffing some paper in the bottom of a chimney starter...

juliant

Apr 4, 2011
Northamptonshire
Seems quite a lot of dough

Is a ceramic lid really necessary, been cooking spatchcock chicken on my Weber for years.

They are game changers (Kamadoes)

I have had a Kamado Joe for 2 years now along side my weber and other grills. The Kamado is something else with what you can do with it . Low n slow, grilling, baking, fry ups anything. Think of it as a bbq and an oven. 12 hour brsiket on half a bowl of charcoal with no refill.

Not cheap but well worth the money when it will last you a lifetime with lifetime warranties etc on the ceramics

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
They are game changers (Kamadoes)

I have had a Kamado Joe for 2 years now along side my weber and other grills. The Kamado is something else with what you can do with it . Low n slow, grilling, baking, fry ups anything. Think of it as a bbq and an oven. 12 hour brsiket on half a bowl of charcoal with no refill.

Not cheap but well worth the money when it will last you a lifetime with lifetime warranties etc on the ceramics

I hear you, love the idea of the slow cook for 12 hours. Can you do a pizza on it?

juliant

Apr 4, 2011
Northamptonshire
I hear you, love the idea of the slow cook for 12 hours. Can you do a pizza on it?

Low and slow is so easy on these once you have the temp dialed in due to the ceramic retaining heat and most important moisture .

As for pizzas you can and i have . But lots of charcoal to get the dome up to temp and for cooking pizzas quick I wouldn't bother. The Kamado Joe 'dojoe' pizza attachment is £300 on its own (can be done without with a pizza stone) . For that I bought a wood fired pizza oven with much better results.

Dont get me wrong I love my weber and my other bbqs but the KJ is a beast and gets most use now.

The Adli/lidl ones are ok but beware they are cheaper for a reason ! If your thinking going ceramic Kamado Joe may be top end but they are for a reason with build and quality with a lifetime warranty on parts. If not google Bono Kamado who also do great units

Bloody thing has cost me 5k in the last 2 years but im now well kitted out with an outdoor kitchen area, Its my happy place !

Seagull27

Feb 7, 2011
Bristol
Low and slow is so easy on these once you have the temp dialed in due to the ceramic retaining heat and most important moisture .

As for pizzas you can and i have . But lots of charcoal to get the dome up to temp and for cooking pizzas quick I wouldn't bother. The Kamado Joe 'dojoe' pizza attachment is £300 on its own (can be done without with a pizza stone) . For that I bought a wood fired pizza oven with much better results.

Dont get me wrong I love my weber and my other bbqs but the KJ is a beast and gets most use now.

The Adli/lidl ones are ok but beware they are cheaper for a reason ! If your thinking going ceramic Kamado Joe may be top end but they are for a reason with build and quality with a lifetime warranty on parts. If not google Bono Kamado who also do great units

Bloody thing has cost me 5k in the last 2 years but im now well kitted out with an outdoor kitchen area, Its my happy place !

Another vote for kamados here, we love ours, use it regularly even throughout the winter. Once you get used to it the results are phenomenal and such a range of things you can cook. The ceramic is indeed a game changer, you can control the temperature really well and you don't lose much heat when you open the lid briefly.

We cooked pizzas on ours last night actually and really happy with the result. Don't have a dojoe but don't think it's needed really, just a pizza stone and looking through the chimney every minute or so to see if it's done.

On the original question - why on earth would anyone choose to BBQ with gas. Defeats the point.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Charcoal. If you want gas just use your oven inside

Can’t go wrong with Weber. But personally eyeing up a Napoleon, similar price to Weber Master Touch but adjustable height grill, big cast iron cooking grate

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
Charcoal. If you want gas just use your oven inside

Can’t go wrong with Weber. But personally eyeing up a Napoleon, similar price to Weber Master Touch but adjustable height grill, big cast iron cooking grate

bottled gas is better for the environment and all that mate.....i mean where do you get your charcoal from ....Bangladesh..?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here