Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

New BBQ Gas or charcoal

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
It's a bit early in the season to be kicking this contentious debate off (paging [MENTION=268]Superphil[/MENTION] to tell us it's always BBQ season).

Indeed, this weekend on Saturday I tried out my brand new Aquaforno https://aquaforno.com/ for a rather decent beercan roast chicken, and yesterday we enjoyed some traditional pork and lamb kebabs on my personally imported Cypriot rotisserie bbq.

Oh, and charcoal, wood or gas all do a great job. Personally I prefer charcoal, especially for steaks, or kebabs, but I use a lot of briquettes too, just getting to grips with wood burning, and I have a rather spiffing gas Weber.

Last edited:

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Gas is better for you and the environment

But charcoal is tasty on a proper American made Weber

Jul 5, 2003
Weber charcoal. Thread closed.

If you get proper charcoals, a good BBQ - it should be lit and ready to cook in 30mins. Much better and tastier than Gas.

Bought the £250 one of these last year. Couldn't believe how much better it is than anything else I ever had.

It even roasts meat joints!!

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
Gas or charcoal? Pah. Do it the proper way, you need wood.

And one of these.

45aa4cf5edbb6f2cd00232f9fb080e2d.jpg
88c58c17fa65de0a97edd0600e797dda.jpg

I'm building one in my garden at the moment.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fat Langers

Dec 27, 2007
Had this same dilemma last year. Ended up with a gas one. It's a little Outback one. Very happy with it. Get the lava rocks and the taste is the same. Really cooks well.
Main reason I went for gas was I wanted the easiness of not having to wait 30-40 mins to get it ready to cook on. It's a personal preference I suppose but I'm happy I got a gas one.

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
Several have responded against gas in a manner that suggests they don't realise the cooking process with a gas BBQ is nothing like the gas process of the domestic oven.

For those who don't realise, the gas BBQ heats up charcoal-like lava rock and the heat from these rocks does the cooking in the same way as traditional charcoal. The food fat still drips on these coals and you can add some chicory wood to add smoke / flavour.

I bought a big gas BBQ 10 years ago but sold it last summer and built a brick BBQ in the corner of the garden. I wished now I'd cannibalised the gas one to incorporate both gas and charcoal. The old gas one had a grill but also a flat plate griddle which was useful too.

tinx

Jul 6, 2003
Horsham Town
I've been Charcoal for many year but at the end of last summer I bought a Gas BBQ in the sales which I built a month ago and I really enjoyed the fact that I could start cooking so quickly and not having to faff around. I'm hoping it will mean I'll be using it more than I did the charcoal through the summer

Time will tell and if its no good I'll go back to Charcoal in this years end of summer sales.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
Gas man myself, best thing is you can cook fish all year long without stinking the house out, but whichever your preference never ever use frozen sausages or burgers

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
been with gas on my last couple - love the convenience/speed - means it gets used a lot more often, sometimes for example will fire it up to cooks steaks or legs of lamb even if we're not planning to eat outdoors

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Good people of NSC,

Looking into getting a new BBQ for the summer. To date I have always had charcoal BBQ's however gas does appeal to me as it is much quicker to get set up and cooking in the evening.

Anyone with a gas BBQ, would you recommend, or should I stick to charcoal?

Thanks

Face it, you'll very rarely use it. Just get an old rusty one out of a skip and cut out the middleman :thumbsup:

surrey jim

Not in Surrey
Aug 2, 2005
Bevendean
Face it, you'll very rarely use it. Just get an old rusty one out of a skip and cut out the middleman :thumbsup:

Alas no I do enjoy a good BBQ, I just find that half the time after work I cant be faffed to get the charcoal one set up and cooking #lazy

maffew

Dec 10, 2003
Worcester England
Ahh man last Christmas dinner roasted/steamed a whole duck on the braai, charcoal, Weber. Happy days. Sour cherrys up its arse, grazed the skin and filled with honey, literally used about 8 coals, and a tray of water to mostly steam it. Caught the fat in a dripping pan to use on the roasties. Then a dip in the pool.

Charcoal/wood for me

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
I imagine this is the WORST KEPT SECRET by now, but for you CHARCOAL folk (actual bbq people), I URGE you to buy Chimney Charcoal Starter. Amazing.

Literally gives NO REASON to get a gas one. Put your coals in the chimney, set a fire lighter under it and in 15 mins you have a whole set of white hot coals to top in the bbq. Lovely to set that off, watch more of the footy etc and have NO worry about the coals going out in the wind etc.

EDIT

I DIDN'T READ THE POSTS ABOVE SAYING LITERALLY THE SAME THING :LOLOL:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here