N.S.C weight watchers

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

dangull

Feb 24, 2013
I like to get drink every now and again, but know beer is fattening. Would drinking for example bacardi with diet coke be less calories ?

ngood77

Aug 5, 2006
I like to get drink every now and again, but know beer is fattening. Would drinking for example bacardi with diet coke be less calories ?

Aye. Bacardi/Vodka & a diet coke or slimline tonic is approx 60/70 calories, a pint is about 200. Just don't drink them twice as fast !

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
Fasting day today. 500 calories max. Yog and banana for brekkie. Miso soup for lunch. Salad and omlette for supper. Then back to normal tomorrow. Easy.

Stick with it my fellow tubbies.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Whats the secret to a flatter stomach... everyone is saying how they have dropped waist sizes... I have lost half a stone & yet all my clothes fit the same ! Maybe the moobs have flattened slightly, but the waist... nothing
Have been hiit for 3 weeks every other day for at least 1/2 an hour - help...... please ?

You need to lose a stone to go down a size in clothes so keep going.

Old Hadlothian

@san_miguel73
Jul 24, 2007
Borough of Crows
What is best - cardio or weights, or mix it up ?

Dec 16, 2010
Over there

I guess it depends on what you want out of exercise, but for me you can't go far wrong on a mix of both. I usually do 30-40 mins cardio (mix of treadmill, x trainer and rower) 30-40 mins weights.
Weights machines are good but apparently free weights are better as you use more of your muscles rather than just one fluid repetitive movement on a machine.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
I guess it depends on what you want out of exercise, but for me you can't go far wrong on a mix of both. I usually do 30-40 mins cardio (mix of treadmill, x trainer and rower) 30-40 mins weights.
Weights machines are good but apparently free weights are better as you use more of your muscles rather than just one fluid repetitive movement on a machine.

Indeed. I would personally always do weights before cardio as you will have no 'oomph' for the weights if you've burned yourself out.

Also you are right about free weights. When using them you are using your fast-twitch muscles to make gradual adjustments continuously. For example, a bench-press action with two dumbells will require you to make hunreds of little adjustments and you push, especially if it's a challenging weight.

The downside, of course, is that if you are on doing the weights then you can't push such high weights as it is difficult to get the initial weight in the air. If you are using a machine then this makes the first push much easier. If you have a partner then they can obviously hold the weight up before youy start (this is all relative to weight movements pushing up).

NorthStandN1A

Aug 1, 2011
Hove
I lost three stone last year after peaking at 16st in January. A combination of cutting out crap from my diet and running loads helped me achieve it. Also, towards the end of the year I started the Intermittent Fasting/5-2 diet which, not only helps you lose weight, but also reduces the risk of dementia, prostate cancer and all sorts of other nasties. You have to have massive willpower to not eat for 24 hours, but for me it is now a way of life.

In addition, Mrs B has lost nearly three stone since October by cutting back on food intake and walking about 25 miles a week.

I am convinced that no diets really work in the long run, and that is why so many of them exist. The only foolproof way to lose weight healthily and ensure it stays off is to eat less, move more.

Good luck.

sounds like you are a couple of fatties, just shut up and go eat your slop you pig

spongy

Aug 7, 2011
Burgess Hill
I'm going to use this thread as inspiration for me.

I'm 34 and have always been overweight, I'm 5'10 and currently weigh in at 17st3, my only Saving grace is that I'm on the big built side with a wide shoulders and a large chest so I appear to carry it quite well.

I've been steadily putting on weight since I moved flat last summer, I think part of the problem is that I went off lager and started drinking cider which is more "calorific"

A month ago I decided to do something about it and began cycling to work, it's about 5 miles round trip and hilly both ways and takes about half an hour in total. I've managed to cut out the drink Sunday to Thursday but I can't bring myself to cut it out completely so still drink on a Friday and Saturday.

Im a CNC setter/operator as a job so I spend all day on my feet and am always moving around the workshop getting materials out and heavy lifting so its not as if I'm sitting at a desk all day.

My weekday diet is......

2 weetabix with semi skim milk as breakfast
A tin of soup mid morning.
A sandwich (2 slices of white bread) which is normally a ham or cheese salad
Banana and 2 apples.
Whatever she cooks for dinner, but I've made her start making them smaller.

On the weekends without football I usually drink 9 pints or so but if I'm going to the football it will be more. I don't eat as much on weekends and never eat crisps or chocolate, I never have, I must've been the only kid in the world who didn't like them!!!!

I do a lot of overtime at work and am currently working 7am to 7pm, which tires me out as it is so any extra exercise such as gym etc is difficult as I never get any free time.

When the weather warms up I shall stop the soup and eat more fruit during the day.

I've been doing this for a month now and I still weigh 17st.

I could do with some suggestions on what to change or anything I can do to help bearing in mind my working routine???

TheJasperCo

Jan 20, 2012
Exeter

They both serve completely different purposes. Cardio improves cardiac and pulmonary circulation, weight training builds muscle strength and mass. Resistance training is a good halfway house, gets you toned and can leave you gasping for breath at the end.
)
This is an interesting thread, even if like me you're not overweight, the tips on here will help stop me putting on the pounds in future (here's hoping). I think the big point from the last few pages is that everyone is different. Some like to starve themselves on certain days, others find interval training works best, some go for low-carb, others low-fat, and some eat what they like but exercise loads. It's just down to what works best for the individual.

Steve.S

May 11, 2012
Hastings
I'm going to use this thread as inspiration for me.

I'm 34 and have always been overweight, I'm 5'10 and currently weigh in at 17st3, my only Saving grace is that I'm on the big built side with a wide shoulders and a large chest so I appear to carry it quite well.

I've been steadily putting on weight since I moved flat last summer, I think part of the problem is that I went off lager and started drinking cider which is more "calorific"

A month ago I decided to do something about it and began cycling to work, it's about 5 miles round trip and hilly both ways and takes about half an hour in total. I've managed to cut out the drink Sunday to Thursday but I can't bring myself to cut it out completely so still drink on a Friday and Saturday.

Im a CNC setter/operator as a job so I spend all day on my feet and am always moving around the workshop getting materials out and heavy lifting so its not as if I'm sitting at a desk all day.

My weekday diet is......

Banana and 2 apples.
Whatever she cooks for dinner, but I've made her start making them smaller.

On the weekends without football I usually drink 9 pints or so but if I'm going to the football it will be more. I don't eat as much on weekends and never eat crisps or chocolate, I never have, I must've been the only kid in the world who didn't like them!!!!

I do a lot of overtime at work and am currently working 7am to 7pm, which tires me out as it is so any extra exercise such as gym etc is difficult as I never get any free time.

When the weather warms up I shall stop the soup and eat more fruit during the day.

I've been doing this for a month now and I still weigh 17st.

I could do with some suggestions on what to change or anything I can do to help bearing in mind my working routine???

I would cut out the 9 pints and maybe the cheese

spongy

Aug 7, 2011
Burgess Hill
I would cut out the 9 pints and maybe the cheese

I could live without cheese, but I don't have lots, the alcohol is different though. I'm not an alcoholic but I certainly feel dependent on it, after 3 days without a drink I get really twitchy and turn into a moody bastard. I'm managing but it's very hard.

I tried drinking vodka lime and soda on Friday night but I didn't get as pissed, spent more and was at the bar three times as often as my mates.

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
Spongy, could you not do a detour to and from work at all? Someone I know did a lot of cycling over 3 months before realising he got too thin.

spongy

Aug 7, 2011
Burgess Hill
Spongy, could you not do a detour to and from work at all? Someone I know did a lot of cycling over 3 months before realising he got too thin.

I could go a different way, it's just getting the mindset right. I get up at 6 in the morning, that's early enough for me, I'm a really light sleeper and only get an average of 5 hours a night. And working til 7pm takes its toll, I won't get home til 7.45, by the time I've showered, eaten, washed up and made lunch for the next day it's time for bed again!!!!!

I feel like I'm turning into a machine most days with no soul left. I'm considering riding every other day and on the other day drive to work but go swimming instead after which is something I used to be pretty good at. It's fndng something that's enjoyable that doesn't feel like a chore I think is key.

I've managed to convince her to start weight watchers with me hopefully starting next week. The trouble is that I can't cook so rely on her to make dinner. If she doesn't want to do something, chances are I won't be able to either, it's why slimming world failed last year, you have to cook everything from scratch, at least with weight watchers it's normal food.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
I'm going to use this thread as inspiration for

My weekday diet is......

Banana and 2 apples.
Whatever she cooks for dinner, but I've made her start

Kill the semi skimmed....go for fresh soup...cream of xxxxx is highly calorific....two slices of bread is around 240 calories and made sandwiches from shops are high in calories. A pint is 180 calories, so 9 pints is 1800 odd.

Try and have a go at 2000 cals a day...use myfitnesspal.com to count and keep a food diary.

I am 16.2 this morning, almost two stone lost since Xmas. Although I am typing this in bed as I have the squirts.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
sounds like you are a couple of fatties, just shut up and go eat your slop you pig

Nice. You have such a way with words. Strangely enough, I was a bit fat, but, as you can see, I've decided to do something about it.

Sorry, are you friends with Greg Bobkin and indulging in some laddish banter? If not, why the f*** would you say something like that?

No he certainly isn't any friend of mine. He took offence at me picking holes in his anti-Naylor rant last week, after he claimed "He always tweets negative shit - end of". It seems like he hasn't let it go and has resorted to petty pot-shots on here. Ah well, better than a snotty PM, I guess...

How's it going, anyway Rowley?

Dec 16, 2010
Over there
Nice. You have such a way with words. Strangely enough, I was a bit fat, but, as you can see, I've decided to do something about it.

No he certainly isn't any friend of mine. He took offence at me picking holes in his anti-Naylor rant last week, after he claimed "He always tweets negative shit - end of". It seems like he hasn't let it go and has resorted to petty pot-shots on here. Ah well, better than a snotty PM, I guess...

I'm good thank you fella, hungry but good :)
That post was totally out of order, having a cheap pop at you is one thing, but your wife as well? just nasty.

MikeySmall

Jul 7, 2003
BRIGHTON

Is it wrong I read it as 'belly pot-shots'?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports