Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Murray, CMS and Aspirations

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
Don't believe everything you read in the papers (especially the Argus) or hear on the radio. I seriously doubt we offered anything near £3m, and there's no way we can compete with West Ham and Leicester for wages.

They were direct quotes from Poyet, so...

Augustus

Jul 2, 2011
So...... the manager says things to make the club look better. If we had offered the same (transfer fee and wages) as the other clubs, and CMS had a tour of the stadium etc, why isn't he coming to us?

Augustus

Jul 2, 2011
Oh and Gus said this a couple of weeks ago:“Last year we were about the sixth budget and we came first. This year we are the 12th or 14th budget..."... so 13 teams in the champ are spending over £3m on a single player and then £1.5m on two other players, with a few more on the way? Dont think so. He just tells the chairman the players he wants, he doesnt actually do the deals. You'll also notice there's no figures announced, just things like "a strong bid" etc, so he's just keeping it vague whilst trying to make us look good.

porkypie

On the road to no where
Oct 31, 2009
Button Moon
So...... the manager says things to make the club look better. If we had offered the same (transfer fee and wages) as the other clubs, and CMS had a tour of the stadium etc, why isn't he coming to us?

How do you know we have offered the same wages as the other clubs?

Augustus

Jul 2, 2011
I don't. on my first post i said i doubt we can match the other clubs in for him. In that quote i was saying hypothetically IF we had offered the same wages why wouldn't he have come here considering our efforts to woo him. I was just trying to point out that the manager's comments dont necessarily reflect the actual dealings that go on.

sir albion

Jan 6, 2007
SWINDON
So, tell us what YOU did to keep The Albion in business, aside from attending some matches 'because you could'?

bhaexpress is right, and it's got very old to see these sorry-arsed critics (like he had while he was struggling to get the Falmer plans passed, taking on councils and nimbys before landing up in the time when it was way more expensive a project and banks suddenly refused to loan).

DK didn't have the £££ in abundance, but that makes him even more respectable in my book.
Whats respectable about running a club and putting us into serious debt,dick always got lucky with us without spending nothing.Remember who was keeping us afloat while dick was chairman.Anyone can run a business at big losses and put nout in,so that sums it up.
I remember all you people on here saying dick was god yet if dick was still here now we would be fuc$ked end of.Dick bought us back to brighton and that wad a great thing,but debts mounted and the begging bowls appeared.

Silent Bob

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 6, 2004
and so does the P'boro chairman?
I have no idea what fee we offered and the fact we won't have offered the same wages as Leicester is why he isn't coming here, at least one reason. But that doesn't mean we weren't in for him and that the stadium thing didn't happen. I guess at that time, it was a couple of weeks ago, other clubs were 'interested' but we were the first ones to make a real offer.
This could have worked out two ways, one that the other clubs are not ready to bid, looking at other targets or whatever and we manage to grab him. The other is that they do bid, and can offer more than us. That seems to be what has happened.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
Oh and Gus said this a couple of weeks ago:“Last year we were about the sixth budget and we came first. This year we are the 12th or 14th budget..."... so 13 teams in the champ are spending over £3m on a single player and then £1.5m on two other players, with a few more on the way? Dont think so. He just tells the chairman the players he wants, he doesnt actually do the deals. You'll also notice there's no figures announced, just things like "a strong bid" etc, so he's just keeping it vague whilst trying to make us look good.
Smoke and mirrors. Gus knows how much he has to spend, it is best kept that way or the young prospect he's after is suddenly a £1M player instead of the £500k originally quoted.

We haven't actually dipped into the kitty much yet either, the Bennett sale has paid for the Wills and releasing all those players will have lessened the wage bill (although I'd expect those left will have a wage increase from the promotion).

Its all very exciting isn't it.

Augustus

Jul 2, 2011
and so does the P'boro chairman?
I have no idea what fee we offered and the fact we won't have offered the same wages as Leicester is why he isn't coming here, at least one reason. But that doesn't mean we weren't in for him and that the stadium thing didn't happen. I guess at that time, it was a couple of weeks ago, other clubs were 'interested' but we were the first ones to make a real offer.
This could have worked out two ways, one that the other clubs are not ready to bid, looking at other targets or whatever and we manage to grab him. The other is that they do bid, and can offer more than us. That seems to be what has happened.

Yeah i agree, i know we were in for him. We made a couple of bids but in the end couldn't match what WHU and Leicester could offer in terms of wages and a transfer fee. And yes, Barry Fry does a lot of that also.

Augustus

Jul 2, 2011
Smoke and mirrors. Gus knows how much he has to spend, it is best kept that way or theWe young prospect he's after is suddenly a £1M player instead of the £500k originally quoted.

We haven't actually dipped into the kitty much yet either, the Bennett sale has paid for the Wills and releasing all those players will have lessened the wage bill (although I'd expect those left will have a wage increase from the promotion).

Its all very exciting isn't it.

Aye that it is.

FLAIRtastic

Aug 29, 2010
Firmly believe Gus didn't even want Murray here in the end, didn't try at training, used to slack and not do fitness activities when asked. Good ridden i say.

CliveWalkerWingWizard

Aug 31, 2006
surrenden

Maybe because West ham and leicester are bigger clubs (well at least bigger names with more pulling power).

CliveWalkerWingWizard

Aug 31, 2006
surrenden
Firmly believe Gus didn't even want Murray here in the end, didn't try at training, used to slack and not do fitness activities when asked. Good ridden i say.

To be fair to murray I heard that palace offered a 3yr contract at 10K, Murray said he would take 2 yrs at the albion on the same terms, we said goodbye.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003

Don't be stupid, he doesn't even have to move if he joins Leicester, and they are one of the favourites for promotion, I'm sure...

Augustus

Jul 2, 2011
Don't be stupid, he doesn't even have to move if he joins Leicester, and they are one of the favourites for promotion, I'm sure...

I wasn't actually asking that. I was trying to emphasise that we dont know how close we actually were to signing him.

forumwayseagull

Oct 22, 2005
Rochester kent
I wasn't actually asking that. I was trying to emphasise that we dont know how close we actually were to signing him.

How do you know we are not still in for him?? Look at KLL it was all a done deal.................and we know where we are on that score. Who knows what might happen? As Gus said, have peterborough actually rejected our offer?

HP Seagull

Danny Cullip: Hero
Sep 26, 2008
The way Gus said "I'm not saying their lying, but have they actually rejected our offer?" and "it's in Leicester's hands", makes me think we've had a bid accepted and it's now down to CMS whether he decides to join Leicester or turn them down for us/another offer.

I've got to say the way Peterborough are handling it seems very unprofessional - seemingly making up (according to the Norwich chairman) bids and telling anyone who will listen about which clubs they are speaking to.

Diego Napier

Mar 27, 2010
Whats respectable about running a club and putting us into serious debt,dick always got lucky with us without spending nothing.Remember who was keeping us afloat while dick was chairman.Anyone can run a business at big losses and put nout in,so that sums it up.
I remember all you people on here saying dick was god yet if dick was still here now we would be fuc$ked end of.Dick bought us back to brighton and that wad a great thing,but debts mounted and the begging bowls appeared.

I'm assuming that "without spending nothing" means that he didn't spend anything. On that basis, how did he therefore put us "into serious debt"?

Falkor

Banned
Jun 3, 2011
Fry was just on talk shite, he has held talks with both Leicester and West , but has not made his mind up yet.

Though decision for him really i mean both teams are likely to go up this year and he needs to decide were he has the biggest future.

oszz92.jpg

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here