Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Murray, CMS and Aspirations

Chris001

Mar 30, 2011
Driving home tonight I heard on the radio that Leicester won the race for CMS. Us and West Ham put in very strong bids but Leicester City put in the best offer. I don't know what they paid or what our bid was but I am very encouraged to know we are going after players like this, we are talking big numbers here, numbers way beyond my expectation! This puts to bed any talk about Murray signing for the ***** because of wage budgets etc, it's simply because he wasn't worth it!!

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
I would like to think we matched Leicester's £3M bid but they offered better personal terms for CMS in regards wages , win bonuses plus a lump sum on gaining promotion to the Premier League.

Tummy Burger

Aug 1, 2003
Haywards Heath
Is correct.

I never had any doubt about the Murray situation. It seemed to me Gus had dropped plenty of hints on interviews. He simply offered what he thought he was worth, and not an over the top wage because he was out of contract.

However I totally agree about the CMS thing. The fact that we are joining the bidding for players of his quality who are quite sort after, is great news, and shows the ambition of the club. I still can't help thinking I would rather buy 3 players of a maximum of a million each though, rather than the ( apparently 3.5 Million ) we bid for CMS.

If we do not sign anyone in the next week though , I am really going to start worrying.

mitch

Oct 16, 2003
You don't bid big money if you won't the pay the wages they want no brainer really,if its true that is very negative comments plenty of time still for team building.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex

Chris001

Mar 30, 2011
It's no different from the Dick Tight days: "We tried to get player x but just missed out". :angry:

The big difference here is that I heard we lost out on the radio and that we offered millions. I can never remember a bid so high or heard we missed out through the media during Knights time. For me this is big time!!

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
We'd have to be lucky to get someone like that when teams like Leicester and WHU are in for them and the only way we would win is by blowing their wage offeres out the water. Not going to happen.

We are more likely to pluck players from teams lower down the leagues but this is always a risk.

Any big name we are in for there will be competition and the facts are we are still a small club compared to most in the champs. This mindset is hard to change to outsiders and those without Blue tinted glass's , it can change if we prove on the pitch we are are top side with real prem ambitions. Bit of a chicken and egg. If we get one big name in there could be a snowball effect and if you want anyone to attract that first "name" you would probably trust Poyet to do this.

Big ask though

dingodan

Feb 16, 2011
The way I understood it was that we had 2 strong bids rejected, so we wouldnt have got to the point of discussing personal terms anyway.

Chris001

Mar 30, 2011
Failed bid of £3,000,000 + say £8000 per week for CMS amounts to the same as £28,000 per week for a player on a free. Big statement of intent!!!

Tummy Burger

Aug 1, 2003
Haywards Heath
Failed bid of £3,000,000 + say £8000 per week for CMS amounts to the same as £28,000 per week for a player on a free. Big statement of intent!!!

I may be completly wrong, but I would imagine we would have been expected to offer a fair whack more than that in terms of salary to stand any chance. If Murray went to Palace on 10 - 12K a week. I would not be surprised if CMS is on 15K a week at Leicester.

Please feel free to put me straight if I have got the wrong end of the stick though.

chucky1973

Nov 3, 2010
Crawley
I said on a different thread, its great that we bid that amount, but i worry about the quality we are going to get for 3m, dont get me wrong, CMS would have been a great at 3m, but take him out of the picture now, what is around for £3m that is going to be a 20 goal a year striker that we need, I mean Billly Sharp has never set the world alight and he has had bids of £3.5 TURNED DOWN for him. I honestly think we may be priced out of the market again and we may end of starting the season with what we have unless he plucks a quality loan signing up or some how plucks a Gem from Europe.

Tummy Burger

Aug 1, 2003
Haywards Heath
I said on a different thread, its great that we bid that amount, but i worry about the quality we are going to get for 3m, dont get me wrong, CMS would have been a great at 3m, but take him out of the picture now, what is around for £3m that is going to be a 20 goal a year striker that we need, I mean Billly Sharp has never set the world alight and he has had bids of £3.5 TURNED DOWN for him. I honestly think we may be priced out of the market again and we may end of starting the season with what we have unless he plucks a quality loan signing up or some how plucks a Gem from Europe.

On one hand I agree, but I cannot help thinking that buying players like this ... for that amount, is a little lazy. there has to be plenty of players all over europe who could do a job for us in this division, and would cost a helluva lot less than this kind of money. Exactly which players are this scouting network picking out for us ?.

Bugger it. Pay me £40 K a year and I will happily travel all over the place checking players out, and I swear I could find a few gems.

f*** it, I will do it for free. LOL

ferring seagull

Dec 30, 2010
We are all of us saddened / outraged , as indeed supporters of 'whatever club are, by the fact that Joe Bloggs has not signed for us.

I suppose the fact is that we are in safe hands, in that our board together with GP have a mind to the new situation that we have to keep wages within generated income (this upon which we do not want to default in any sense). We can only stand back and watch other clubs fall on their faces as they aspire to the Premier League (assuming they have intentions of progressing to Europe or otherwise ?). I don't begin to imagine exactly how the parachute payments work for clubs dropping from the Premiership but whilst, I am sure that some clubs like **FC may well be working on the basis that it is a good idea to get there, and given whatever means, the P Ps are worth the agro of being relegated subsequently, given the sums involved.

What is beyond argument is that the current disposition of television 'rights' money of, please correct me, 80% to the Premiership, is inherently wrong.

So much dishonesty, thank goodness that we are one of the clubs which does not wish to go there !

Last edited:

sir albion

Jan 6, 2007
SWINDON
That would look really stupid if we bid 3 million and offered 8k a week in which im sure wouldn't have happened:lol:

More like 15 k a week

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Is correct.

I never had any doubt about the Murray situation. It seemed to me Gus had dropped plenty of hints on interviews. He simply offered what he thought he was worth, and not an over the top wage because he was out of contract.

However I totally agree about the CMS thing. The fact that we are joining the bidding for players of his quality who are quite sort after, is great news, and shows the ambition of the club. I still can't help thinking I would rather buy 3 players of a maximum of a million each though, rather than the ( apparently 3.5 Million ) we bid for CMS.

If we do not sign anyone in the next week though , I am really going to start worrying.

I agree :) and yes Gus etc were only prepared to offer cunty what they thought he was worth

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here