[Film] More of the Rings

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
Because they have already shown enough in the trailers to let everyone know they have ****ed up his world he created.

There are so many things wrong with the show that can be taken from the few minutes they have released a full episode won't unchange those things.

From a Tolkien lore perspective....

They have a black female playing a dwarf, Trouble is as Tolkien quite clearly stated telling the men from the women in his dwarven lore was difficult as the women also had beards. So this show gives us a basically beardless woman as a queen.

They also have Durin III being a father to Durin IV which in Tolkien's lore is not possible as the Dwarves believed Durin was a reincarnation of the original Durin before them so it's impossible to have both alive at the same time.

Tar Miriel should be a very pale person but they cast a brown complexion person who looks nothing like the rest of the Numenoreans.

They have short haired elves everywhere which looks so out of place. Elrond looks uttter crap.

They have Galadriel front and centre of the promos as a warrior princess which she never ever was. She also wasn't that prominent of a character in the second age. There were many powerful and far more important Elves in middle age at that time who Tolkien actually wrote stories for.

They have a bunch of made up characters that never existed and that will add nothing to Tolkien's story, it will take away from it.

This a million times. Well said.

He did, then he ruined all the good LOTR work with the Hobbit Trilogy....

Those films were truly terrible and Tolkien surely turned in his grave.

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
So turns out it really is rather average.

Looks good but writing and acting means it feels nothing like Tolkien's world.

How each episode cost 60 million boggles the mind.

Seaber

Oct 20, 2010
Wales
What a lot of fun those episodes were! Not as good as the LOTR films, but still pretty good, looking forward to seeing where they go from here.

As a big Tolkien fan, it's tricky working out what areas/places and even some characters are based on Canon, and which are fully the invention of the show.

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
What a lot of fun those episodes were! Not as good as the LOTR films, but still pretty good, looking forward to seeing where they go from here.

As a big Tolkien fan, it's tricky working out what areas/places and even some characters are based on Canon, and which are fully the invention of the show.

It's mostly "fan" fiction, not a lot is based on canon, it's why so much time is given to the made up characters.

The fake Galadriel has been created in the mould of the real Gil-Galad which begs the question why not just use Gil-Galad in her role.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
I enjoyed it for a while, during episode 2 though I found myself wondering if it’s going anywhere. Seems rather plodding and dull to me. But then I found the original books and films to be plodding and dull.

Perkino

Dec 11, 2009
I enjoyed it for a while, during episode 2 though I found myself wondering if it’s going anywhere. Seems rather plodding and dull to me. But then I found the original books and films to be plodding and dull.

I watched the Hobbit trilogy & Lord of the Rings trilogy for the first time in February. Never will I endure such a dull and drawn out set of films again. Each trilogy could've been a singular 2 hour movie

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
It's mostly "fan" fiction, not a lot is based on canon, it's why so much time is given to the made up characters.

The fake Galadriel has been created in the mould of the real Gil-Galad which begs the question why not just use Gil-Galad in her role.

Because you need ‘strong independent’ women leads in everything these days! Anyway, temptation got the better of me and I watched last night. I thought the stand out performance was Clark. She was terrific. The cinematography was also astonishingly beautiful for television. The criticism is a bit unfair really, 2 episodes in.

nickbrighton

Feb 19, 2016
havent seen this yet, but will watch once a few more episodes are available

There seem to be a few purists who will hate it just because, and that is a shame because if they were to just watch, rather than try and find fault in every single perceived or real discrepancy they may well like it. Similar to Game Of Thrones where the books and tv are very very far apart(dead characters, living characters, amalgamated characters, new characters, different story lines etc)

Its an adaptation of Tolkiens work, not a literal recreation. The fact is that Tolkien wrote on the whole very bad female characters, there are very few in the LOTR books, and the films altered them quite a lot, Arwen for example in the films was a much expanded role, taking the whole role of Glorfindle rescuing Frodo in Fellowship-0 there was much angst from the purists about that

The fact that this adaptation sees different ethnicity playing different races is simply a reflection of the times we live in, as is really nothing to get all worked up about.

No film adaptation of any book is complety faithful, and it doesnt really matter. Just watch it, enjoy it, and if you dont like it, dont watch anymore, but its certainly nothing to get all worked up about

Seaber

Oct 20, 2010
Wales

No, I know what it's based on. I meant things like that fortress in Forodwaith - is it based on Carn Dum? Utumno? Angband? Wholly new? As the writers are not sticking to closely to canon at times (which is hard anyway as they don't have to rights to much of the stories) it's hard to tell what's what. I do like the use of the map, something which Peter Jackson realised would be handy a bit too late into production of the LOTR trilogy.

Also I think I heard Aulë get a mention by Durin, which was unexpected.

Are all Dwarves Scottish?

There is a popular idea that Elves culture has a basis in Welsh, Men in English and Dwarves in Scottish. In the Hobbit trilogy as there were many Dwarves, some had Scottish accents, others Irish, and various English accents.

Last edited:

Gabbafella

Aug 22, 2012
Are all Dwarves Scottish?

images.jpeg

Yes.

Fungus

NSC Patron
May 21, 2004
Truro
A lot better than Wheel of Time, and seems more ambitious than House of Dragons. Enjoyable in its own right.

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
havent seen this yet, but will watch once a few more episodes are available

There seem to be a few purists who will hate it just because, and that is a shame because if they were to just watch, rather than try and find fault in every single perceived or real discrepancy they may well like it. Similar to Game Of Thrones where the books and tv are very very far apart(dead characters, living characters, amalgamated characters, new characters, different story lines etc)

Its an adaptation of Tolkiens work, not a literal recreation. The fact is that Tolkien wrote on the whole very bad female characters, there are very few in the LOTR books, and the films altered them quite a lot, Arwen for example in the films was a much expanded role, taking the whole role of Glorfindle rescuing Frodo in Fellowship-0 there was much angst from the purists about that

The fact that this adaptation sees different ethnicity playing different races is simply a reflection of the times we live in, as is really nothing to get all worked up about.

No film adaptation of any book is complety faithful, and it doesnt really matter. Just watch it, enjoy it, and if you dont like it, dont watch anymore, but its certainly nothing to get all worked up about

You should have seen how angry TB was years ago when he found out they'd cast a sexy, thin American as Bridget Jones

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
Really enjoyed episode 1, haven't seen 2 yet.

Luckily, my favorite Tolkien is 1st Age - Fall of Gondolin, Turin Turambar, Beren and Luthien, the Silmarils etc. etc.

I don't remember much about the 2nd Age so I don't particularly mind if they "fill in too many details".

Anyway, it's great. But who is the man in the meteor ? Gandalf, Sauron, another wizard ?

Episode 2 tonight or on Monday for me.

Last edited:

Tom Bombadil

Jul 14, 2003
Jibrovia
Is it worth pointing out the Tolkien's dwarves are based on jewish culture of which Tolkien was an admirer and the scottish thing is an odd hollywood convention, much in the same way all pirates are from the west country and all romans have upper middle class british accents? No, ok then as you were.

Perfidious Albion

Oct 25, 2011
At the end of my tether
I saw the first two episodes today.. I loved LOTR , but this is a hammy spin off. I had some laugh out loud moments, which they did not intend. The accents amused me, some sounded Irish , some Yorkshire and the dwarves were terrible false Scott’s accents .
There was plenty of “ colour blind casting “ too which detracted from it ....
My wife liked it better, so maybe it’s me, but I will not watch anymore.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
I find it odd and disappointing that in 2022, casting people of colour is even remarked upon, let alone considered a distraction. There's Orks, Elves who live for centuries, Dwarves, Dragons and magic rings. Yet a black man stands out as odd to some people? :facepalm::lolol:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports