Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Film] More of the Rings

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
That anyone who challenges the changes to Tolkien’s lore are dismissed immediately as racist.

I don’t have a “default setting” on Tolkien. It’s well written fluff. And I don’t regard diverse casting as changing his “lore”. I very much doubt he would too.

Last edited:

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
Don’t watch it if people of colour bother you so much.

Poorly written stories bother me.

This is one of those.

You don't think it looks silly when they drop a coloured elf into scenes when every other Elf is white? Seems lazy rubbish writing with no back story as to how this random character that looks nothing like the rest of those people but is just there?

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Poorly written stories bother me.

This is one of those.

You don't think it looks silly when they drop a coloured elf into scenes when every other Elf is white? Seems lazy rubbish writing with no back story as to how this random character that looks nothing like the rest of those people but is just there?

I’m watching an old episode of Clocking Off. There’s two white women and a black woman working in a factory. They didn’t feel the need to explain why the black lady is there. Why should the makers Rings of Power explain?

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
I’m watching an old episode of Clocking Off. There’s two white women and a black woman working in a factory. They didn’t feel the need to explain why the black lady is there. Why should the makers Rings of Power explain?

What a strawman.

The obvious answer is black people exist in a story written about factory workers in Manchester.

Which makes it obvious as to why the ROP should explain it because black elves don't exist in Tolkien's world.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
What a strawman.

The obvious answer is black people exist in a story written about factory workers in Manchester.

Which makes it obvious as to why the ROP should explain it because black elves don't exist in Tolkien's world.

They do now.

What explanation do you require?

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
They do now.

What explanation do you require?

They still don't exist in his world. No character called Arondir exists in his works.

The explanation of why a single Elf looks nothing like every other Elf. In a very noticeable way to make them seem unlike the other Elves.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
They still don't exist in his world. No character called Arondir exists in his works.

The explanation of why a single Elf looks nothing like every other Elf. In a very noticeable way to make them seem unlike the other Elves.

How would you explain it? If you were having to? What would be the backstory for a black elf? Or a black Harfoot etc..

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
How would you explain it? If you were having to? What would be the backstory for a black elf? Or a black Harfoot etc..

I wouldn't cast them.

I wouldn't have any Hobbits in this as they are irrelevant to this timelines story. Zero need for them to be in any second age tale.

I wouldn't have black elves as they don't match any description of elves Tolkien made.

If i'm telling the early story of the Kings of men who end up holding some of the nine rings I can write in the Haradrim and Easterling Kings which means you can hire a hell of a lot more people of different backgrounds to represent their kingdoms and lands and still stick to Tolkien's lore.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
I wouldn't cast them.

I wouldn't have any Hobbits in this as they are irrelevant to this timelines story. Zero need for them to be in any second age tale.

I wouldn't have black elves as they don't match any description of elves Tolkien made.

If i'm telling the early story of the Kings of men who end up holding some of the nine rings I can write in the Haradrim and Easterling Kings which means you can hire a hell of a lot more people of different backgrounds to represent their kingdoms and lands and still stick to Tolkien's lore.

They aren’t Hobbits. They are Harfoot’s.

Let’s assume you HAD to explain why there is a black elf. What would you say? Hypothetically.

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
They aren’t Hobbits. They are Harfoot’s.

Let’s assume you HAD to explain why there is a black elf. What would you say? Hypothetically.

They are Hobbits. Who is saying they aren't? It's the idiot showrunners isn't it?

Harfoots were one of the three breeds of hobbits, along with Stoors and Fallohides.

Well the simplest way is to make him like Elrond a half caste character. Pretty easy to have some full Eleven character make a quip at him for only being half elf and half southerner.

Problem solved. How easy was that?

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
They are Hobbits. Who is saying they aren't? It's the idiot showrunners isn't it?

Well the simplest way is to make him like Elrond a half caste character. Pretty easy to have some full Eleven character make a quip at him for only being half elf and half southerner.

Problem solved. How easy was that?

There you go. Imagine that’s the explanation and you can sleep easy again. Once you get used to the idea you maybe even come to the realisation that It. Doesn’t. Matter.

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia

There you go. Imagine that’s the explanation and you can sleep easy again. Once you get used to the idea you maybe even come to the realisation that It. Doesn’t. Matter.

But that's not what was done. Thus shit writing.

It does matter if you're not some basic person who will watch any old shit and never critique anything about it.

It matters in the context if you say nothing shit writers think they are validated and keep getting work producing more shit shows.

Maybe there's some utter trash coming up in the other seasons and by some slim chance the show runners note the criticisms and actually rework a script so its not so shit.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Tolkien included many diverse characters in his books to show that different types of people can work together to achieve a common goal.

He would have approved of the casting.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
Tolkien included many diverse characters in his books to show that different types of people can work together to achieve a common goal.

He would have approved of the casting.

The fellowship of the ring was quite inclusive wasn't it. Bloody woke, politically correct nonsense. Trying to pretend that elves and dwarves can get along. Pie in the sky.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
But that's not what was done. Thus shit writing.

It does matter if you're not some basic person who will watch any old shit and never critique anything about it.

It matters in the context if you say nothing shit writers think they are validated and keep getting work producing more shit shows.

Maybe there's some utter trash coming up in the other seasons and by some slim chance the show runners note the criticisms and actually rework a script so its not so shit.

You need to know every character’s back-story? Use your imagination.
Tolkien never stated elves were exclusively white. Arondir is a new character so there’s no changing of Tolkien’s works in that sense.

There is a tonne of stuff added or changed in ROP, it’s telling that some people are only getting upset about the casting of people of colour.

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
The fellowship of the ring was quite inclusive wasn't it. Bloody woke, politically correct nonsense. Trying to pretend that elves and dwarves can get along. Pie in the sky.

Yeah it's like they cast everyone to come rather close to how Tolkien described their peoples.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here