Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Film] More of the Rings

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
I imagine this will be similar to GoT in that after a few seasons one has pretty much seen all it has to offer and can cease watching without missing out in anything.

I’ll give it a go. More out of a childhood nostalgia for Tolkien. For me, they could pretty much jumble all the film scenes up, edit them into this new series and it’d all look the same to me. Beards, fire, swords and wizards all to the soundtrack of someone yelling things like “END THEM”!! and “TRUST IN YOUR FAITH”!!!

We’ll see.

They have butchered Galadriel. One of the most ethereal and powerful wielders of magic on Middle Earth and they reduce her to some shitty Xena Warrior Princess rubbish. Cate Blanchett nailed what the essence of Galadriel was. This new one has been written so badly as to be nothing like Galadriel of the books.

Perfidious Albion

Oct 25, 2011
At the end of my tether
Have to agree with Tyrone Biggins
“Travesty that a quintessential British literary masterpieces ended up in the hands of some no name American tossers who are more worried about diversity than treating Tolkien's works with the respect they deserve.”

What the hell Is Lenny Henry doing in it ?

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
“Travesty that a quintessential British literary masterpieces ended up in the hands of some no name American tossers who are more worried about diversity than treating Tolkien's works with the respect they deserve.”

He's a Hobbit like character, which makes no sense as Tolkien didn't have them in the second age.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA

What the hell Is Lenny Henry doing in it ?[/QUOTE]

Does anyone know ..including himself

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington

Trousering some cash for his old age when this rubbish will have (rightly) been forotten...-

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
I'm a big Tolkien fan but will definitely not waste my time watching this unadulterated nonsense. They have a cheek to suggest it's anything to do with his work. Why can't they make their own crappy story instead. They tag his name onto it purely for $$$. It's a disgrace.

jcdenton08

Enemy of the People
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
Looks shit. What the hell have they done? Why is Galadriel black? Why Lenny Henry? Just why.

Will not be supporting this.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
I have no issue with people of colour in it. In the phrase "black hobbit", black isn't the most unbelievable word :lolol:

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Mel Brooks sumned it all up at the end of Spaceballs... cheekily referencing the Star Trek films ....." we will return in Spaceballs 2, The Search for More Money "

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
Why don't you just all watch the first episode then judge it on that?

Because they have already shown enough in the trailers to let everyone know they have ****ed up his world he created.

There are so many things wrong with the show that can be taken from the few minutes they have released a full episode won't unchange those things.

From a Tolkien lore perspective....

They have a black female playing a dwarf, Trouble is as Tolkien quite clearly stated telling the men from the women in his dwarven lore was difficult as the women also had beards. So this show gives us a basically beardless woman as a queen.

They also have Durin III being a father to Durin IV which in Tolkien's lore is not possible as the Dwarves believed Durin was a reincarnation of the original Durin before them so it's impossible to have both alive at the same time.

Tar Miriel should be a very pale person but they cast a brown complexion person who looks nothing like the rest of the Numenoreans.

They have short haired elves everywhere which looks so out of place. Elrond looks uttter crap.

They have Galadriel front and centre of the promos as a warrior princess which she never ever was. She also wasn't that prominent of a character in the second age. There were many powerful and far more important Elves in middle age at that time who Tolkien actually wrote stories for.

They have a bunch of made up characters that never existed and that will add nothing to Tolkien's story, it will take away from it.

Last edited:

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
I'll give it a whirl. Looks like it could go either way to me.

I am not at Uber fan of Tolkien's work though. I guess for some the inconsistencies will grate somewhat.

Sent from my M2010J19CG using Tapatalk

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
I must say it appeals to me from the trailer.

I care not about dwarf skin colour or hobbit involvement.

My slight disappointment is that this is Second Age Tolkien when in my opinion all the best stories and characters are First Age - but that could well be a rights problem.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Because they have already shown enough in the trailers to let everyone know they have ****ed up his world he created.

There are so many things wrong with the show that can be taken from the few minutes they have released a full episode won't unchange those things.

From a Tolkien lore perspective....

They have a black female playing a dwarf, Trouble is as Tolkien quite clearly stated telling the men from the women in his dwarven lore was difficult as the women also had beards. So this show gives us a basically beardless woman as a queen.

They also have Durin III being a father to Durin IV which in Tolkien's lore is not possible as the Dwarves believed Durin was a reincarnation of the original Durin before them so it's impossible to have both alive at the same time.

Tar Miriel should be a very pale person but they cast a brown complexion person who looks nothing like the rest of the Numenoreans.

They have short haired elves everywhere which looks so out of place. Elrond looks uttter crap.

They have Galadriel front and centre of the promos as a warrior princess which she never ever was. She also wasn't that prominent of a character in the second age. There were many powerful and far more important Elves in middle age at that time who Tolkien actually wrote stories for.

They have a bunch of made up characters that never existed and that will add nothing to Tolkien's story, it will take away from it.

And I suspect Ian Fleming never had a female 'M' nor all the gadgets that we see in the latest films etc etc.

The show may well prove to be crap. The Lord Of The Rings films didn't follow the books religiously but they were still good.

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
And I suspect Ian Fleming never had a female 'M' nor all the gadgets that we see in the latest films etc etc.

The show may well prove to be crap. The Lord Of The Rings films didn't follow the books religiously but they were still good.

Jackson made some changes but they were minor in comparison to what these fools have done.

He was very mindful of sticking to Tolkien's lore when bringing it to film and it showed.

PJ obviously read the books as well as he was able to portray Galadriel in the right light, this new effort has no basis in anything Tolkien wrote which suggests the show runners never even bothered to read the books.

Smirko

Aug 19, 2011
Brighton
Jackson made some changes but they were minor in comparison to what these fools have done.

He was very mindful of sticking to Tolkien's lore when bringing it to film and it showed.

PJ obviously read the books as well as he was able to portray Galadriel in the right light, this new effort has no basis in anything Tolkien wrote which suggests the show runners never even bothered to read the books.

He did, then he ruined all the good LOTR work with the Hobbit Trilogy....

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here