Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

MK Dons - FA Cup

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
I agree but the supporters views are sometimes not considered on Match days and they should be and unless our voices are raised they never will.

What is the supporters view on this ?
My mates in the North Stand aren't fussed. I'm not fussed that i'll be moving from the WSU.

Hastings gull

Nov 23, 2013
I was going to go in the North for this game so will wait until closer the time in hope that it will open due to demand. If the club are not going to open the North they should allocate a couple of blocks that are designated "singing blocks" so at least some atmosphere can be generated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Yes, the whole thing is surprising. I can understand that the club don't want to pay for unnecessary stewarding in an area with little or no demand, but their low expectation is somewhat disappointing. The price is good, so hopefully will attract the punters in. You get what you pay for largely in life, and so I am not expecting the first team, but hope that we do, however, field a strongish squad. I don't think that if we win against MKD, it will severely dent our promotion chances, as most of the first team will be rested. As to then later rounds, then a decision can be made. At this stage, it is hardly either ...or.

Hastings gull

Nov 23, 2013
What is the supporters view on this ?
My mates in the North Stand aren't fussed. I'm not fussed that i'll be moving from the WSU.

I have bought my ticket and will move from ESU to WSL, and that doesn't bother me - in fact, it will be interesting to see it all from another area. What bothers me, as expressed earlier, is the apparent lack of ambition, but to be fair, should demand dictate it, then I am sure the club will open up other sections -at least you hope so!

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
their low expectation is somewhat disappointing.

Given the Reading League Cup tie had just above 6K attendance (including 1901) then in fact the low expectation seems pretty sensible. Of course if the demand is high then they will open up more of the ground. Lets hope they do.

Peter Grummit

Oct 13, 2004
Lewes
Yes. Handfuls. A few hundred, if that, will decide not to bother purely based on their seat and where it is rather than all the other factors; the competition, the opponents, Hughton's team, the cost, the trains, other commitments etc etc

So, it's gone from handfuls to a few hundred?

Do you have any evidence for your estimates, Jem?

Barber has obviously done a calculation and decided this is the net revenue maximising strategy. But, in the absence of proper market research, it can be nothing more than a guesstimate.

Other factors which are relevant:
- atmosphere and support for the team will be worse (some will say, well, we want to concentrate on the League, but we will play a 'B' team anyway and financially we could get a big pay day in the next round).
- catering will cost more to run if you open more stands, but you'll also sell more with small queues
- views of the fans: has anyone asked us? #Together
- respect for the FA Cup: it's a race to the bottom: if we don't fully respect it, less fans are interested and sunsequently it's harder to sell
- frankly, we look tinpot with an empty north stand on TV

Elsewhere I encouraged people to buy a ticket for this game. Now I will still go, but my 'guesstimate' is that quite a few may not.

PG

Captain Sensible

Jul 8, 2003
Not the real one
They should be opening up the East West L and North. It's a crazy decision. The North is where most of the noise starts and as someone in the east Upper, I would like to have bought a ticket for the North. I'll wait to see if they open it, if they don't, the atmosphere will be crap and I don't think I'll bother.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
I have bought my ticket and will move from ESU to WSL, and that doesn't bother me - in fact, it will be interesting to see it all from another area. What bothers me, as expressed earlier, is the apparent lack of ambition, but to be fair, should demand dictate it, then I am sure the club will open up other sections -at least you hope so!
I hope you haven't bought BensGrandad's seat that he wants to secure tomorrow.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Given the Reading League Cup tie had just above 6K attendance (including 1901) then in fact the low expectation seems pretty sensible. Of course if the demand is high then they will open up more of the ground. Lets hope they do.
I can see the thinking, but I reckon it's flawed.

This is the only Saturday 3pm game until Feb 11th ( assuming Newcastle is moved and there is not a home FACup4 ).

OK, maybe not open WSU and ESU on day 1, but surely we'd sell the whole lower stadium ?

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
I can see the thinking, but I reckon it's flawed.

This is the only Saturday 3pm game until Feb 11th ( assuming Newcastle is moved and there is not a home FACup4 ).

OK, maybe not open WSU and ESU on day 1, but surely we'd sell the whole lower stadium ?

In which case they'll open it up. but its sensible to start off with assuming otherwise.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
Barber has obviously done a calculation and decided this is the net revenue maximising strategy. But, in the absence of proper market research, it can be nothing more than a guesstimate.

I've guessed at the few people who are that fussed about not being able to sit in their seat. Barber, on the other hand, is not prone to guesses.

Herne Hill Seagull

Jul 10, 2003
Galicia
The way they're selling them isn't helping. My seat, like those of my mates next to me, is in W1H. I can't currently buy that seat because they're selling them from the centre outwards, so have no guarantee of sitting in my usual spot with my mates around me; the website currently shows that block as 'SOLD OUT/NOT AVAILABLE'. I've been told they'll open that block when demand requires it. If people in that area want their usual seats then they're going to be waiting for blocks to open. So the initial sales may be slow while the people who don't care buy.

I really don't understand this approach - if you're opening the West Lower, open it. Let people who sit there every week buy their own seats and you won't have this waiting game and a late rush of sales, giving them less time to get the staffing/catering numbers right. Odd.

Peter Grummit

Oct 13, 2004
Lewes
They should be opening up the East West L and North. It's a crazy decision. The North is where most of the noise starts and as someone in the east Upper, I would like to have bought a ticket for the North. I'll wait to see if they open it, if they don't, the atmosphere will be crap and I don't think I'll bother.

Which is where the 'we'll open more if there is sufficient demand' argument breaks down. It's chicken and egg: if you don't open other areas then we won't know what the latent demand is.

Fans are creatures of habit. We like to sit with our friends/family. If organising that becomes more difficult (and it does, because renewing your own seat is much easier than co-ordinating who wants to go, are you sure, I've got to wait until payday etc etc.), especially at this busy and costly time of year, then some will not bother.

I think the best ticketing strategy for the cups is to make the default with your DD ST that you get your cup tickets and the cost is taken from your account. But, you should have a proper opportunity to opt out. This would mean bigger crowds, more revenue and justify opening the whole ground. Obviously not going to happen this season, but it could be an option as part of a proper fan consultation, such as the club has laudably done for safe standing.

PG

Peter Grummit

Oct 13, 2004
Lewes
I've guessed at the few people who are that fussed about not being able to sit in their seat. Barber, on the other hand, is not prone to guesses.

Which is why I carefully used the word guesstimate rather than guess. He will have based it on something, but I'm genuinely not aware that the Club has done any market research on this, which would be the normal commercial business strategy.

Munchkin

Jul 12, 2005
Littlehampton
£15 to park in Bridge Street Car Park on the day!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here