Missing Woman in London

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Concerning news today allegedly coming out of the Government. Plans to Increase street lighting, cctv and put plain clothes police officers in pubs and clubs in order to " protect" women.

I would give you street lighting as a positive but even more cctv won't prevent crime, how many times is a victim or a murderer tracked across town by overlapping cameras but the crime still takes place. Without wishing to damage the current case, the accused, was not deterred by the cctv in the area.

As for Plain Clothes police in bars and clubs, how ridiculous is this? There might be some minor crimes in bars and clubs but the crimes that need to be prevented are the ones on the trip home after midnight, for that you want policemen in uniform rather than plain clothes officers standing around on corners as that is self defeating. The new Bill being pushed through Parliament certainly looks dodgy too, Johnson was keen to puff that it would be good for women's safety although it is clearly designed to give police more powers and increase jail sentences as a deterrent ( which really don't work as all our prisons testify ) and fines.

I have never been an activist or conspiracy theorist but it does seem that Johnson and Patel are trying to pass laws that are going to erode our freedoms and rights to protest. Plus, isn't it a little bit scary that we will have secret police watching us in our pubs?

Given the levels of incompetence daily from our government I'd like to think it is not a deliberate attempt to spy and undermine public confidence rather, just another badly thought out piece of legislation... But can we be sure?

Last edited:

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy
John Pilger tweeted this recently:

[tweet]1370650729174556674[/tweet]

Not sure I'd entirely agree but it's food for thought.

Pilger makes some good points - The 'diversity' programmes are large corporates are truly cringeworthy. The networks for various groups at that very big employer in the Brighton area that I manage to finally depart from last year is chock fill of individuals who happily back stab the very people they are networking with if it meant that next promotion was a few months closer, I hate those groups with a passion.

In fact, diversity is such a bloody corporate word, equality is the goal, diversity is for show.

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
Concerning news today allegedly coming out of the Government. Plans to Increase street lighting, cctv and put plain clothes police officers in pubs and clubs in order to " protect" women"..

I would give you street lighting as a positive but even more cctv won't prevent crime, how many times is a victim or a murderer tracked across town by overlapping cameras but the crime still takes place. Without wishing to damage the current case, the accused, was not deterred by the cctv in the area.

As for Plain Clothes police in bars and clubs, how ridiculous is this? There might be some minor crimes in bars and clubs but the crimes that need to be prevented are the ones on the trip home after midnight, for that you want policemen in uniform rather than plain clothes officers standing around on corners as that is self defeating. The new Bill being pushed through Parliament certainly looks dodgy too, Johnson was keen to puff that it would be good for women's safety although it is clearly designed to give police more powers and increase jail sentences as a deterrent ( which really don't work as all our prisons testify ) and fines.

I have never been an activist or conspiracy theorist but it does seem that Johnson and Patel are trying to pass laws that are going to erode our freedoms and rights to protest. Plus, isn't it a little bit scary that we will have secret police watching us in our pubs?

Given the levels of incompetence daily from our government I'd like to think it is not a deliberate attempt to spy and undermine public confidence rather, just another badly thought out piece of legislation... But can we be sure?

Government responds to a horrific crime with improved measures to make women quite rightly feel safe when they’re out, a known government hater responds with with civil liberties issues, you couldn’t make it up!

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy
All beliefs/values?

That's tricky isn't it! I do have more time for people that have beliefs and will argue for them than some centrist who will publicly support whatever is a la mode this week and say they'll read manifestos and do the right thing for their family etc etc and then vote Tory or, at a stretch, Lib Dem. Seriously though, if people are fighting for something that has a positive aim for the betterment of the world then that's a good thing innit?

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Concerning news today allegedly coming out of the Government. Plans to Increase street lighting, cctv and put plain clothes police officers in pubs and clubs in order to " protect" women.

I am normally very suspicious of any new legislation this government pass, especially when rushed through but these seem more like feeble attempts to appease the public. Plain clothes police officers in pubs is code for "you won't know who they are, which is helpful because we won't bother doing it anyway".

In this case, it's just another badly thought out Tory appeasement I think.

As I have mentioned before, there is very little, if nothing we can do to make walking alone at night safer. It's simply a dangerous thing for women to do. That's a fact. It's unacceptable. It shouldn't be this way, it's deplorable. But it's also true.

CCTV, Lighting, they give the illusion of safety but are pretty bootless. Plus lighting has to be done very carefully to avoid light pollution for residents, to avoid creating "shadow spaces" and to avoid making areas lit up throughout the night and drawing groups of youths who like to hang out in lit areas. It's not just a case of throwing lights up.

Last edited:

RossyG

Dec 20, 2014
Seriously though, if people are fighting for something that has a positive aim for the betterment of the world then that's a good thing innit?

I guess it boils down to the same problem, though. Sometimes, betterment can be a subjective term.

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy
Government responds to a horrific crime with improved measures to make women quite rightly feel safe when they’re out, a known government hater responds with with civil liberties issues, you couldn’t make it up!

So you think that the end game should be that we marginalise these offenders, we make them have to work harder to commit their crimes? You don't think there should be a slightly more sophisticated effort to change the way we look at women in society? Look at this board, take Rachael Riley for instance, any thread about her is not discussing her and her odious cohort Tracey-Ann Oberman and their online bullying while masquerading as the bullied. No, it's almost aways about how fit she's looking on Countdown.....

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
I am normally very suspicious of any new legislation this government pass, especially when rushed through but these seem more like feeble attempts to appease the public. Plain clothes police officers in pubs is code for "you won't know who they are, which is helpful because we won't bother doing it anyway".

In this case, it's just another badly thought out Tory appeasement I think.

As I have mentioned before, there is very little, if nothing we can do to make walking alone at night safer. It's simply a dangerous thing for women to do. That's a fact. It's unacceptable. It shouldn't be this way, it's deplorable. But it's also true.

CCTV, Lighting, they give the illusion of safety but are pretty bootless.

I'm so old I recall police on the streets regularly at all times of day. Walked home from fishing on Worthing Pier one night and was stopped by police 3 times on the walk home... nothing threatening simply " good evening.... did you catch much ? Where were you fishing ?" this was about 1am. It was a bit scary when they stepped out of doorways but once you saw the tit on their heads you relaxed.

As for mens behaviour, you are totally correct, somehow we all need to change our attitude but there will always be a mainstream reaction against change, we have seen it with LGBT issues, BLM and now #MeToo, sadly too many people in authority feel threatened by the thought of change and through the power of their Press, there are thousands of " Angry " cheerleaders encouraged and ready to stifle change...... as we well know here on NSC.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
I'm so old I recall police on the streets regularly at all times of day. Walked home from fishing on Worthing Pier one night and was stopped by police 3 times on the walk home... nothing threatening simply " good evening.... did you catch much ? Where were you fishing ?" this was about 1am. It was a bit scary when they stepped out of doorways but once you saw the tit on their heads you relaxed.

As for mens behaviour, you are totally correct, somehow we all need to change our attitude but there will always be a mainstream reaction against change, we have seen it with LGBT issues, BLM and now #MeToo, sadly too many people in authority feel threatened by the thought of change and through the power of their Press, there are thousands of " Angry " cheerleaders encouraged and ready to stifle change...... as we well know here on NSC.

Exactly. Some people struggle with change and I understand that but women are being killed so change must be embraced. How to do that> I wouldn't even know where to begin.

Yeah, back in the mid 90's I used to finish work, jump on a train and be walking home around midnight most nights, I was very young and a copper who was plotted up at the rail station used to walk and chat with me for most of my way home. Nothing intimidating, just keeping me company at age 17 while I was getting home.

Can you imagine!

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
So you think that the end game should be that we marginalise these offenders, we make them have to work harder to commit their crimes? You don't think there should be a slightly more sophisticated effort to change the way we look at women in society? Look at this board, take Rachael Riley for instance, any thread about her is not discussing her and her odious cohort Tracey-Ann Oberman and their online bullying while masquerading as the bullied. No, it's almost aways about how fit she's looking on Countdown.....

I totally agree and all though I do find it hard not to be attracted to attractive members of the opposite sex but perhaps we should keep our thoughts and even those double take looks to ourselves!

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Your lack of self-awareness is breathtaking at times.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
You trying your best to bait me again sausage?

Not at all; just stating how you’re perceived. I have zero interest in whether you reply to my posts or not. And to demonstrate this, see if you can ignore this post.

Last edited:

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
Well one never knows if your replies are “playing up-to your audience HT” or you’re being serious HT, still let’s see if you can resist a reply to really demonstrate your point.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area

CCTV, Lighting, they give the illusion of safety but are pretty bootless. Plus lighting has to be done very carefully to avoid light pollution for residents, to avoid creating "shadow spaces" and to avoid making areas lit up throughout the night and drawing groups of youths who like to hang out in lit areas. It's not just a case of throwing lights up.

Good post.

I don't know the answers. I would never want my daughter walking home at night alone, or walking at any time through a wooded path for example (there's one not far from us, she's done that and I've had to make it plain that it stops. Sadly giving in to the risk from a pervert). I know this is a thread about females, but I must also mention that extends to boys too.

There's a graphic online (pre Sarah Everard) that over one million UK people have been raped at any time in their life. I can believe that, I've personally known two victims. Live are seldom the same ever again. Hence the concern from me as a husband and dad.

A question. Can educating all males, really alter the destiny of (the small %age of) predatory males? It would lovely to think so, but I'm not so sure.

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy
I totally agree and all though I do find it hard not to be attracted to attractive members of the opposite sex but perhaps we should keep our thoughts and even those double take looks to ourselves!

100% - It's not easy, change takes time but it's something to aim for innit.....

Klaas

I've changed this
Nov 1, 2017
Must be awful for you to see this, I sense your fear.

Well, he is a fan of 'proper journalist' Andy Ngo so it's not surprising he's scared when he buys this kind of crap take.

[tweet]1371551983203663873[/tweet]

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports