Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Missing Woman in London

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
No chance they would have been socially distanced through out, that is wishful thinking.

Who chooses the common sense causes?

The Policing of this whole pandemic has been laughable, but is that down to them or the laws been forced on to them ? I believe the police said this was unworkable from the start.

Cancelling it only encouraged people to attend so it attracted larger numbers. What the police should have done was try to ensure things were kept socially distanced or people were masked. Their arresting people not only brought them into close physical contact with people but also forced more people into a smaller space. They got it wrong as they often do at football matches.

Even laughing boy sees it as a mistake while Cresida (aptly named) Dick thinks nothing was wrong. Even if you forget the social distancing bits the whole imagery of Met Police rough handling women is wrong.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
a lot of people are being very naive about Saturday. had their been organised socially distanced vigil, it would have been promptly followed by the same unorganised, protest. people wanted a protest regardless of permission, and for some being handcuffed by the police was a victory in itself, sustaining a cause.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Cancelling it only encouraged people to attend so it attracted larger numbers. What the police should have done was try to ensure things were kept socially distanced or people were masked. Their arresting people not only brought them into close physical contact with people but also forced more people into a smaller space. They got it wrong as they often do at football matches.

Even laughing boy sees it as a mistake while Cresida (aptly named) Dick thinks nothing was wrong. Even if you forget the social distancing bits the whole imagery of Met Police rough handling women is wrong.

So what happens when the BNP or some equally unsavoury group want to hold a vigil and the police say no?

The problem is you can’t unevenly apply then law.

I think it’s a case where every group was at fault for what happened on Saturday

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
a lot of people are being very naive about Saturday. had their been organised socially distanced vigil, it would have been promptly followed by the same unorganised, protest. people wanted a protest regardless of permission, and for some being handcuffed by the police was a victory in itself, sustaining a cause.

That chimes with what I heard on the radio earlier where one of the women arrested decided the first thing she would do after being released was go on social media and call for political protests. You would think someone looking to attend a peaceful socially distanced vigil and ending up being arrested and handcuffed would be looking to make a complaint against the Police in the first instance.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
this is the problem and alot of these militant groups over lap. Got a voice at the moment as to go against it makes you racist / sexist / against diversity etc

Bit like religion where a discussion about it get accused of all sorts. Left wing extremists are running the show at the moment.

Role on the pubs where we can all get back to being working class males and away from dictatorship media telling us how outraged we should be.
But, you sound outraged already?

Jan 30, 2008
Sorry but that is not an acceptable excuse. The job of the police's is to protect the public and do what is 'right' for the public NOT to do what their 'higher ups' says. What if the order had been to baton charge them would it still have been ok because they were just obeying orders?

Protecting the public is stopping illegal gatherings during lockdown ,don't you understand that ?
Regards
DF

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Apparently organised by Sisters Uncut: a feminist group. They also interrupted the premiere for a film about Suffragettes, poured blood into the fountain at Trafalgar Square, and blocked Westminster Bridge on previous occasions..

I heard they even got a loud hailer out at one point!

And it was red dye, not blood.

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
Protecting the public is stopping illegal gatherings during lockdown ,don't you understand that ?
Regards
DF

I do understand that and if the police had been diligent in dealing with illegal gatherings through lockdown I might even have said it was wrong but you know as well a i have they haven't. This was not some illegal rave or house party with hundreds crammed into an indoor space it was going to be a peaceful event policed by stewards to maintain the distancing. Sure there would be times when there would be infringements but minor in comparison to how it ended up. The Met got it seriously wrong.

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
That chimes with what I heard on the radio earlier where one of the women arrested decided the first thing she would do after being released was go on social media and call for political protests. You would think someone looking to attend a peaceful socially distanced vigil and ending up being arrested and handcuffed would be looking to make a complaint against the Police in the first instance.

make a complaint against the police - your having a laugh aren't you.

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
So what happens when the BNP or some equally unsavoury group want to hold a vigil and the police say no?

The problem is you can’t unevenly apply then law.

I think it’s a case where every group was at fault for what happened on Saturday

But the law hasn't been applied evenly during lockdown and that's why there was potential for compromise. Other vigils were held not sure they had the same problems....

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Actor and activist.

Actually a current University student whose done a bit of part time acting in the past.

I wasn't aware thespians (even part timers) are banned from making public statements but you live and learn.

Must read more Twitter.

Fitzcarraldo

Nov 12, 2010
Actually a current University student whose done a bit of part time acting in the past.

I wasn't aware thespians (even part timers) are banned from making public statements but you live and learn.

Must read more Twitter.

I always find it strange that 'activist' is generally used as a pejorative. I think people who stand up for their beliefs/values should be celebrated rather than sneered at.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here