Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Marines V Paras (British)

NickBHAFC18

Feb 24, 2012
Brighton
From someone currently in the forces and who has trained with the paras, the Royal Marines training is by far more challenging. Paras are not that far off a regular infantry regiment anymore.

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
Surely unless someone has done both, nobody can answer which is toughest?

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Who has killed the most foreigners ? Surely that's all that matters ?

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I'm sure I read somewhere about a training camp of elite troops from a whole bunch of nations and the US Seals thought they would clean up but the British Marines absolutely smashed it. I'll see if I can find it...
Aren't the Seals the equivalent of the SAS? If so, didn't the SAS also complete the course?

somerset

Jul 14, 2003
Yatton, North Somerset
Who has killed the most foreigners ? Surely that's all that matters ?
The Royals for sure, they have been popping off hostiles on far flung islands and territories for 350 years..... no competition there.

somerset

Jul 14, 2003
Yatton, North Somerset
Aren't the Seals the equivalent of the SAS? If so, didn't the SAS also complete the course?
The most recent of these inter-spec forces extravaganzas took place in Aruba ( I know a participant from RM)..... some excelled in one area whilst others in something different, RM SF support team were in the top three in most categories.

Delta = SAS
SEALS = SBS
(Approx)

Last edited:

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
The most recent of these inter-spec forces extravaganzas took place in Aruba ( I know a participant from RM)..... some excelled in one area whilst others in something different
We clearly need more information on this.

Delta = SAS
SEALS = SBS
Sorry, what does that mean?

smudge

Up the Albion!
Jul 8, 2003
On the ocean wave
I've worked with both varieties, I'd say they are both double hard & both just as elite.

I did however beat a shedload of them to come 3rd in the Gibraltar Rock Race in 91.
We (Fearless) had Llama Company, or Lima as they insisted on being called from I think 42 Cdo, one of the "Sir" ships from the RFA was topped up with Paras. There was actually a team of US Navy Seals there too, who were introduced by the club swinger, when all us matelot's started making sounds like seals & flapping our arms around. It was very funny, but you had to be there. HMS Ark Royal was also alongside, & we mustered on the pier next to her, just by Flag Officer Gib's gaff. It must be said that drink had probably been taken the night before by the vast majority of participants & it was 7.00 a.m. (I stayed in the night before, having suffered in previous years from this foolishness).
The start line was a bit spicy with lots of singing to & fro from the Green & Red Beret's. The flag went down & off they sprinted, obviiously never done it before I thought.
Anyway, a 2 & a half ringer from Ark Royal won it, a PO from Ark second, & in 3rd place from HMS Fearless, Leading Airman Smith. Get in!
I didn't give our Royals much shit!

But I'm a lover, not a fighter. Up the RN!

somerset

Jul 14, 2003
Yatton, North Somerset
We clearly need more information on this.

Sorry, what does that mean?
If you were looking for a close enough correlation between US and UK units, that was it.

brightonrock

Dodgy Hamstrings
Jan 1, 2008

Possibly yes - my memory of it is very fuzzy, all I remember is the Israelis, Russians, French etc were decent, the Americans thought they'd dick it, but the British unit won by an absolutely country mile. I think it was from an American perspective, and they were absolutely shocked by how good our lads were. Maybe it was the SAS rather than the Marines after all (thus rendering my contribution here fairly irrelevant :lolol:) - I've had a look but can't find where I saw it. :S

Northstander

Oct 13, 2003
Delta Force was created in the 70's and was and is run in the same way as the SAS in that it has approx 5 squadrons with each having a small group of men with their own speciality.

The guy who created Delta force presented his recommendations to the Pentagon after spending time with the SAS, most are recruited from the Rangers :thumbsup:

atfc village

Mar 28, 2013
Lower Bourne .Farnham
I had a similar encounter in an Aldershot pub called The Seven Stars, and , I admit , I saw at least seven. But, again, thre of us, outnumbered by about 2/1 by the maroon machine
Back in the 80's the unwritten rule in Aldershot was The Football ground going away from the Town was civvy Pubs.The Town all bar one Pub called The George was Para Pubs.All the food outlets were in Town so kicking out time was fun and the Para's didn't always have it their own way.

NickBHAFC18

Feb 24, 2012
Brighton
Someone else talking rubbish , what are you in ?

2nd battalion PWRR. Para training is no different from regular infantry training, they are just generally fitter. Even once they finish training they still haven't even done a jump. Marine training is conducted in all different environments including the arctic and that's just training. Plus I believe their final test is a 33 mile tab compared to a paras 12? I'm not dismissing them, but in my honest opinion the paras are just a glorified infantry regiment.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here