Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Marines V Paras (British)

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
its has never been the case that all marines were parachute trained , you're talking rubbish.

I agree, knew loads of Royals with no parachute wings, one of my oldest friends is an ex 22 year warrent officer Bootneck, you wouldn't catch him dangling from a bed sheet

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
Wasn't getting involved in one vs the other, was a simple response to someone who said the RMs hadn't seen any "action" in decades.

No problem,i wish not to get too involved in bickery..or should that be binfestery.

Hyperion

Nov 1, 2010
Resort to insults, class.

Well, if you show your ignorance that well, you deserve it. Just admit defeat. You do not know what you're talking about. Though people like you love the replies. I have insulted you on fair grounds IMO

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
SBS have and do see action but not on the scale like the SAS. Any trouble anywhere in the world and then the SAS get the nod always.

The SAS get all the publicity, film star treatment,etc, the SBS boys just quitely go about their buisness.

Actually theres a lot of cross pollination between the two these days, far more than used to be the case.

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
Wasn't getting involved in one vs the other, was a simple response to someone who said the RMs hadn't seen any "action" in decades.

My old friend, mentioned earlier has campaign medals for Northern Ireland, Iraq 1 and 2, Falklands, and Afghan, still not seen a lot of action then.

somerset

Jul 14, 2003
Yatton, North Somerset
The SAS get all the publicity, film star treatment,etc, the SBS boys just quitely go about their buisness.

Actually theres a lot of cross pollination between the two these days, far more than used to be the case.
Exactly, and 1Rifles spend most of their time in action with both of them.....

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Last edited:

Stumpy Tim

I had a mate to dinner last night. He's a para & currently training for the SAS. I asked him, and he said the paras were harder. I decided against arguing the case.

So in short, the para's are harder. Apparently

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
What do the Marines actually do apart from sailing around the world? They never see action do they.

Why dont you pop down to Plymouth one weekend, I would be more than happy to show you where you could have this discussion with people who just may disagree with you.Who knows maybe the relatives who carried the coffins in and out of the church may want to add something to the conversation.

chucky1973

Nov 3, 2010
Crawley
What do the Marines actually do apart from sailing around the world? They never see action do they.
if you want a one on one with my nephew who served with K company of 42 Commando on operation Herrick 14 and lost 7 men in a 6 month tour. He might just let you know.

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
Well, this is an interesting thread!

From what I can gather from a brief google search, RM's training is 32 weeks, Para's 30. Does this make either of them harder than the other? No, definitely not.

The RM's have had so many battle honours (because they are much older) that they do not bother listing them all on their colours anymore. The only place that appears to list them is in a sergeant's mess somewhere, but some are saying that they have at least 109 and very definitely include the Gulf War, Iraq and Afghanistan.

But I think we can safely say that they go everywhere, they just don't necessarily get the coverage that the para's seem to. Not sure why that is, but I would guess that the SAS are far more in the public eye since the Iranian Embassy Siege in 1980. And I am sure that both have been on missions that we will never know about.

For what it is worth, my Uncle joined the Para's when they were formed during WW2 and fought just about everywhere. He reckons he did at least 2000 parachute jumps during his time with them, hence he needed new knees when much older! My father joined the Royal Marines in 1944 but did not see active service.

My son is very interested in the army at the moment and is adamant that he is going to join up (he is only 9, so time will most certainly tell), and I will be extremely proud of him whoever he joins, if that is really what he wants to do.

Enough waffle - Footsoldier is talking bibble.

somerset

Jul 14, 2003
Yatton, North Somerset
if you want a one on one with my nephew who served with K company of 42 Commando on operation Herrick 14 and lost 7 men in a 6 month tour. He might just let you know.
.....as did the brother of my son-in-law....same unit.....how bizarre.

User removed 4

May 9, 2008
Haywards Heath
Why dont you pop down to Plymouth one weekend, I would be more than happy to show you where you could have this discussion with people who just may disagree with you.Who knows maybe the relatives who carried the coffins in and out of the church may want to add something to the conversation.

To be fair to Footsoldier I think heis just a bit misguided , I dont think he .meant to be malicious

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Between 1900 & 2014, the Royal Marines have only had one year when they weren't involved in any conflict - 1968.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here