Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Marines V Paras (British)

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
Those that can walk the walk as well as talking the talk will stay,seems to0 many talkers at this stage,be cranking up the discipline in the next instalment,no doubt,i liked that,good viewing..

Coldeanseagull

Opinionated
Mar 13, 2013
Coldean
Late seventies early eighties I was REME and acquired a green beret. This was because I was attached to the Queens Royal Irish Hussars! More of a dark olive green really...
Spent time in Marchwood 17 port and maritime with a small detachment of Marines and around Aldershot area with small units of various infantry including 2 para.
All very skilled at what they are trained for and very competitive, marines want to beat you at everything, paras just want to beat you with a stick.
If you want to know who wanted to fight the world on a night out, look no further than the 4th tanks

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
Looking forward to seeing the progression over the next few weeks. Thought the Corporal was a pussy cat.

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
Looking forward to seeing the progression over the next few weeks. Thought the Corporal was a pussy cat.

Personally i thought the recruits were very weak,mainly in the mental department,still that's what the trainings for to toughen them up mentally... can't imagine the RM's in 1982 being anything like that,just as in many areas of life today, some standards have slipped a little.

Mutts Nuts

Oct 30, 2011
Could any ex or current army members of NSC or anybody with an understanding tell me,what unit has the hardest physical testing to get in,which unit is considered the most elite and so forth..

The Marines date from the 1700's and have history,but the more recent airbourne could be argued were braver,dropping in behind enemy lines?

As i understand it the American Rangers are among their elite troops and they only take recruit's from their Airbourne divisions..

So is it the Green or Red Berets?

Thanks..

Don`t know the answer but what these guys did is unbelievable
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/ukn...ok-on-Argentine-Falklands-invasion-force.html

smudge

Up the Albion!
Jul 8, 2003
On the ocean wave
I went to uni in Plymouth, (and worked in the Crowns for a bit!!), and can totally back you up on this. Most trouble started in Plymouth is by gobby no mark matelots, either straight out of HMS Raleigh, and don't know any better, or fresh off the boats and haven't had a proper drink up for a while. The bootnecks only tend to get involved if one of their own gets set upon - I don't think I can remember a single time when a marine threw the first punch.

I have to say, that is the biggest load of bulwarks I have read on here for a very long time. Made me laugh though, total & utter toss.

Charlies Shinpad

Jul 5, 2003
Oakford in Devon
Just been told by a mate that it got a bit messy up at Taunton last Thursday !!

If you go on Somerset Gazette website and look under Videos and then Streakers at Military Rugby you will see briefly what I mean !!

Worth a look

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
Well, "Commando School" finished this week. Really enjoyed that series of documentaries and Monday evening won't quite be the same without that on.

Anyone else watch the whole lot?

"DISSAPPEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAR!"

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
Well, "Commando School" finished this week. Really enjoyed that series of documentaries and Monday evening won't quite be the same without that on.

Yes I watched them all, very good programme.

I had to laugh when some of them painted their shovels instead of cleaning them:lolol:

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
Yep, watched it all and really enjoyed it.
Saw 2 marines walking through the Barbican here in Plymouth yesterday, I now know what they have been through to get there. They really have a very different demeanour about them you cannot help but look.

LA1972

May 20, 2009
West Sussex

Yep got better as it went on. We need one on the paras now

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
I had to laugh when some of them painted their shovels instead of cleaning them:lolol:

I Know! Maybe it's just me, but I would have thought it would far easier just to wash a trenching shovel down rather than going to effort of re-spraying it and getting a bollocking.

"Wht the **** is this! Who the **** has painted their trenching tool!"
"Er, me Corporal..." :whistle:
"You DO NOT paint military issued kit! Understand!"
Yes Corporal." :salute:

:lolol:

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
I Know! Maybe it's just me, but I would have thought it would far easier just to wash a trenching shovel down rather than going to effort of re-spraying it and getting a bollocking.

"Wht the **** is this! Who the **** has painted their trenching tool!"
"Er, me Corporal..." :whistle:
"You DO NOT paint military issued kit! Understand!"
Yes Corporal." :salute:

:lolol:

The Corporal was going spare, it was worth watching just for that moment:lolol:

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
If it has a camera showing a warts and all night out with the Paras in Aldershot, with no editing, it would make a very interesting programme, I know because I have done it twice, but a long time ago.

I did see a programme years back on the Paras going out in Aldershot, when they came back from a tour they hit the town, certain pubs had cleared all the furniture, the lads came in and were drinking miniature bottles of spirits, when the Paras left for another pub the bar staff wheeled in a huge bin and tidied up.

Seagull on the wing

Sep 22, 2010
Hailsham
Royal Marines are more multi skilled and obviously being part of the Navy they are trained primarily as an amphibious attacking unit. The paras are soldiers and that's what they do. They soldier hard. Americans rely on technology and top quality equipment eg they have comfy boots, good food, sat nav and go back to base for a goods nights sleep. British soldiers have blisters, rations and a compass and sleep on the dessert floor.
Bootnecks are more skilled...when I did my Navy diving course in HMS Vernon Portsmouth we had 3 marines in our class of 8...one of them had done his parachute course,they certainly were fit...nothing against the Paras...the other tough regiment were the Ghurkas.

atfc village

Mar 28, 2013
Lower Bourne .Farnham
If it has a camera showing a warts and all night out with the Paras in Aldershot, with no editing, it would make a very interesting programme, I know because I have done it twice, but a long time ago.
The Paras have long gone along with their watering holes The Pegasus and The Rat Pit.Only The Trafalger is left now in Aldershot which had an offer of Guinness at £2 a pint Saturday night.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here