Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Marines V Paras (British)

Eggmundo

U & I R listening to KAOS
Jul 8, 2003
I served in 1st Lancing Boys Brigade (81-83) & Lancing Scouts (unsure of affiliation and year) and they were both crap.

fat old seagull

Sep 8, 2005
Rural Ringmer
No it wasnt, I have explained , its NEVER been the case that ALL marines were parachute trained.

In the sixties we all were. Driven from Lympestone for balloon jumps with RAF Instructors at Aldershot. If you didn't jump on either lift you never got your beret. That's the way it was, it's not rubbish, though frankly I don't give a shit what you think..... Sad to hear a fellow Royal rubbishing another.

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
I know they have , I was correcting a poster who claimed they havent.

And i was in agreement with you,stating an example,both have..

Deportivo Seagull

I should coco
Jul 22, 2003
Mid Sussex
No it wasnt, I have explained , its NEVER been the case that ALL marines were parachute trained.

I may well wrong but royal was always para trained up to the mid 70's. Certainly the the older marines I came across had para wings but not so many of the youngsters. I haven't worked with para's but I lived with some marines when in Pompey. It's fair to say that it was 'entertaining' and there main interests were women, keeping fit, drinking and fighting though not always in that order!

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
What do the Marines actually do apart from sailing around the world? They never see action do they.

I just checked a BBC site detailing UK casualties in Afghanistan.

The Royal Marines have lost 57 men in Afghan to date, plus at least two other soldiers who were attached to their units.

Sort of suggests they are seeing "action", doesn't it.

User removed 4

May 9, 2008
Haywards Heath
In the sixties we all were. Driven from Lympestone for balloon jumps with RAF Instructors at Aldershot. If you didn't jump on either lift you never got your beret. That's the way it was, it's not rubbish, though frankly I don't give a shit what you think..... Sad to hear a fellow Royal rubbishing another.

Im not a royal , and I don't care if you were , it was NEVER the case that all marines were parachute trained , you're bullshitting.

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
Recently,say within the last 10 years,not very well reported the UK sent the SAS into a African county to rescue some UK hostages,Lynx helicopters were used to drop Paras in to support the SAS and Cobras to provide top cover. I saw it on a documentary and if was the case,it was the Paras who were chosen...does this mean when push comes to shove they are the best,or were they just available,does/can anybody shed any more light on the particular operation..

Footsoldier

Banned
May 26, 2013
Look up mount kent and mount harriet in the falklands for a start , the countless marines killed in afghanistan and iraq and until uk forces pulled out of iraq the sbs took the lead in Afghanistan while the sas looked after iraq..

SAS took the lead in both Afghanistan and Iraq and that's fact..

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast

The Royal Marines have lost 57 men in Afghan to date, plus at least two other soldiers who were attached to their units.

Is that part statistical? after all the Para's are a smaller unit,not wishing to belittle anything that the Marines do,or for that matter what you say...

Example-no British challenger 2 tank has been lost to enemy gunfire,but the american abrams has,however only some 400 odd challengers have been produced,compared to countless 1000's of the american abrams...

Footsoldier

Banned
May 26, 2013

What's that got to do with who's the best?

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
What's that got to do with who's the best?

It hasn't. I haven't a clue, I've got friends on both "sides" & they constantly rib each other.

You said the Royal Marines hadn't seen any action in decades. My only point was that the fact they've lost many men in Afghanistan suggests that they have.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Is that part statistical? after all the Para's are a smaller unit,not wishing to belittle anything that the Marines do,or for that matter what you say...

Wasn't getting involved in one vs the other, was a simple response to someone who said the RMs hadn't seen any "action" in decades.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here