Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Leon best [signs on a half-year loan]

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Hughton is a big fan and tried to buy him for Norwich when he was their manager.

Good that we've got him on loan - on approval might be more appropriate. If it turns out well, then business can be done in the summer; he'll have to accept a hefty cut in wages, I expect. Still, most of us could live quite comfortably on £5K to £10K a week!

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
Plenty of moaning about this signing before the guy has even kicked a ball for us. Nothing unusual about that then.

Let's be realistic. There are very very few 20 goal a season strikers available. Those that are (or could be) are probably way out of our price range and, in any case, would probably not want to come to a club three places above the Championship relegation zone.

Based on our current position, obtaining a striker on loan who has previously played for our manager is probably not such a bad idea. Let's give the lad a chance and see what Chris can get out of him. I'm as critical as anyone about some of our players and the way this season has been managed by the club, but now is the time for some optimism and 100% support for the team.

Dead right. Do people really think there are strikers out there queuing up to join us on a free transfer?

As has been said many time here, good , prolific strikers are not for sale at bargain prices! It is a sellers market.We could sign a 20 goal a season striker if we wanted to either sign one from a lower league or pay lots of money for him.

Diablo

NSC Patron
Sep 22, 2014
lewes
At least he`s not a midget..... May win the ball in the air...Another option other than Dunk or Greer at corners....Will he be in action tomorrow???

CP 0 3 BHA

Nov 28, 2003
Northants
Dead right. Do people really think there are strikers out there queuing up to join us on a free transfer?

As has been said many time here, good , prolific strikers are not for sale at bargain prices! It is a sellers market.We could sign a 20 goal a season striker if we wanted to either sign one from a lower league or pay lots of money for him.

....or both!

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
Not at all inspiring, hopefully I'll eat my words :cool:

Capture.PNG

kevtherev

Feb 28, 2008
Tunbridge Wells
16 goals in the last 5 years and not deemed good enough for one of our rivals. Forgive me if I'm very underwhelmed about this..Was rather hoping for Shola Ameobi. Best seems like a poor man's version.

Coldeanseagull

Opinionated
Mar 13, 2013
Coldean
I am a tad underwhelmed with this loan signing, but I'm willing to bite my tongue until I see what he does for a couple of weeks....let's hope he lives up to his name

The Fifth Column

Retired ex-cop
Nov 30, 2010
Escaped from Corruption
I can think of at least a dozen worse strikers to have signed for the Albion in the years I have been watching them. I'm not expecting him to be a Leo Ulloa or Bobby Zamora but neither am I expecting another Billy Paynter or Jonathan Obika!

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
This is a strange thread now. We've gone and signed the kind of ugly, work horse striker that pretty much everyone knows we need - and people aren't happy! What, exactly, were you expecting? I'm not bowled over by this signing by any means, I don't like the bloke as a player but he will provide a physical presence with a higher pedigree than O'Grady, who presumably will be allowed to depart. Realistically, we don't need both but it takes us up to 4 strikers currently.

The question is how will he be used? Left winger, maybe?! I hope he gets a good run of games through the center and with CMS or Baldock playing somewhere close to him, without having to "do a job" on the wing. We should try and be more aggressive in the hope of getting more goals, and more of the game being played in our oppositions final third where we're not likely to concede too many goals from!

RexCathedra

Aurea Mediocritas
Jan 14, 2005
Vacationland
At this level -- really, any level except the top of the EPL -- the football version of the software engineers' truism applies:

Good. Cheap. Experienced.

Pick two.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here