Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Leon best [signs on a half-year loan]

Seasider78

Nov 14, 2004
up til now our biggest crowd of the season was for loan player A (Darren Bent) against Fulham on his debut...
And Loan Player B (Best) is not here to play 4 games . its a half season loan.

Think that crowd may have been a bit more to do with Fulham than everyone turning up to get a glimpse of Bent. Great half a season so what do we do in the summer then start again for someone to get us through to xmas? We need some consistency in our forward line not a revolving door of loan strikers

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Plenty of moaning about this signing before the guy has even kicked a ball for us. Nothing unusual about that then.

Let's be realistic. There are very very few 20 goal a season strikers available. Those that are (or could be) are probably way out of our price range and, in any case, would probably not want to come to a club three places above the Championship relegation zone.

Based on our current position, obtaining a striker on loan who has previously played for our manager is probably not such a bad idea. Let's give the lad a chance and see what Chris can get out of him. I'm as critical as anyone about some of our players and the way this season has been managed by the club, but now is the time for some optimism and 100% support for the team.

Correct answer.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Not writing the player off as that is ridiculous and will reserve judgement until he has a good number of games under his belt with us. What is a continuing frustration is the apparent lack of any long term strategy on the playing side. We played Derby in the playoffs and in the summer they went onto take that squad to the next level, we blew the whole thing to pieces.

The number of loans we have used recently is bordering on ridiculous and it leaves us re-building large parts of the squad every summer. Each window I want to feel like the club is building on something not knocking everything down and starting again every season.

It may be that the club have bigger ambitions in the summer but with ST renewals around the corner they are playing a dangerous game if they think people will continue to turn up in numbers to watch loan player A for 4 games before loan player B steps in

Agreed, the number of loans has been half our problem and its reached riciculous proportions this season. But unfortunately its a side-effect of having a revolving door in the managers office. Very little can be planned long-term when we're starting all over again with a new manager every season.

Southern Scouse

Jul 21, 2011
6 goals in 3 years including 0 in 15 for Derby.

Maybe his hold-up play is worth two goals a game?
Not holding my breath.

It's stats like that that make me keep well away from them! Bloody Hell, must be someone who can do a better job, someone, somewhere? Has Chris heard of the Internet or FM? Surely he can google us a forward with some positive looking stats.....

Lifelong Supporter

Aug 4, 2009
Burgess Hill
This is a decent signing. He is 28 and has played at a good level with reasonable effect for the majority of his career to date. The manager has worked with him before and they both know what to expect. Whilst we do have plenty of loans already, we currently have 4 strikers already under contract and no doubt on high pay. Maybe COG will now move on.

In the summer of course we will have the wages freed by the end of CMSs contract. If we are in this division he will not be with us next season.

If Leon does well, it will help set up for next season.

Arkwright

Arkwright
Oct 26, 2010
Caterham, Surrey
What type of striker is he? Is he a hold the ball up type and bring others in or a direct pacey player?

If he is direct and pacey he will need to work off another striker so maybe we will change the system and play two up?

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Yes, loan signings are half our problem at the mo, but that's the price we're paying for a very poor Summer of transfers. I'm more excited by Best than I ever was about Baldock on ability alone. Also, CH would know what he's getting and Mclaren's comments suggests Best actually has a good attitude, despite what some fans' perception might be. I'm willing to trust CH on this one.

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
Friend has played power league with him in nottingham.

Anyway, our championship strikers records in the league

Baldock - 13 games, 1 goal
CMS - 16 games, 1 goal
COG - 11 games, 0 goals

40 games, 2 goals

Best would be a welcomed addition for me, and is better than CMS 100%.

Since 2012 Best has scored 6 goals in 43 Championship matches. So we aren't going to improve a whole lot on the strikers we have now.

I had always feared that Bloom would spunk so much on building the stadium that there would be no beans left to get in the quality of players that we need to bring us success and to fill the stadium. And so it has come to pass.

Lifelong Supporter

Aug 4, 2009
Burgess Hill
It's stats like that that make me keep well away from them! Bloody Hell, must be someone who can do a better job, someone, somewhere? Has Chris heard of the Internet or FM? Surely he can google us a forward with some positive looking stats.....

Baldock had great stats last year. They have not rolled over to this season. It is of more interest to me what he actually does for us on the pitch rather than what he has done in the past for others. Stats can be used to make what you want from them.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Would you rather The Amex and then bring in better players or be at Withdean with good players costing a fortune bringing in little money and the club either going broke or relying on wealthy donors to stay afloat.

Lifelong Supporter

Aug 4, 2009
Burgess Hill
Good luck to Best, he's going to need it, cause the main problem with the poor goal scoring IMO is not so much the strikers but the poor service to them and the lack of support they get. It's been the same since we moved to the Amex, a lack of support fron the m/f with at times 1 or 2 players in the box and the goals will be in short supply until CH solves this.

There is this and also the fact we have been playing narrow and not getting wide and behind the defence to create those really good quality chances.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here