Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Kuipers transfer listed

Stoaty Ferret

Jul 11, 2003
Brighton
Kuipers placed on transfer list

by Andy Naylor

Albion goalkeeper Michel Kuipers has been transfer-listed after refusing to apologise to manager Mark McGhee and his team-mates.

McGhee has lost patience with the long-serving Dutchman over the way he responded to being left out of the side as the Seagulls fought for Championship survival.

Kuipers, 32 next month, took exception to French loan signing Florent Chaigneau taking his place for Albion's visit to Southampton on January 2.

He had heated arguments before the game with both McGhee and reserve team coach Dean White.

Kuipers was restored to the side soon after but left out again following an unimpressive performance at Sheffield United and the permanent signing of former loan keeper Wayne Henderson from Aston Villa.

While Albion fought in vain to beat the drop, Kuipers spent the rest of the season on loan to League Two side Boston United at his own request.

McGhee said: "Myself and Dean White have met with Michel. Given that he hasn't felt it appropriate to apologise to me and his team-mates for his outburst, when all that happened was that he was left out for one game, and that he chose to ask to go on loan, I feel the only way forward is to place him on the transfer list and for him to leave the club.

"I'm disappointed, because I think him and Wayne Henderson would have made a fine duo, battling for their place at the start of the season, but I can't have it."

Albion are hoping for a modest fee for Kuipers, who still has a year remaining on his contract.

Youngsters Richard Martin and John Sullivan will now battle it out for the chance to understudy Henderson in League One next season.

McGhee said: "We will be looking very closely during pre-season at Richard and John and assessing whether they can play a supporting role to Wayne.

"If we don't feel they are ready then we will be looking for another goalkeeper."

The tide must have turned in MM's favour for him to make a statement like that. Interesting.

Stoaty Ferret

Jul 11, 2003
Brighton
Great shame about Kuipers as he still is a great keeper - one of the best shot stoppers to ever play for the club. Mcghee has done the right thing here though.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Looks like they are clearing the decks for "MM to stay" announcement and also, hopefully, the end of the player revolts.

blockhseagull

Jan 30, 2006
Southampton
Not entirely unexpected i suppose, a real shame it came to this and if MM version of events is to be believed i for one am very dissapointed that Michel has let himself and also all of the fans down by behaving in this way.

Does seem that MM now believes he will be here next season and i for one think that is a good thing, especially seeing how long and drawn out this boardroom indecision has lasted, if we got rid of MM we would spend the whole summer managerless again, at least MM can work hard over the summer and we can hit the ground running in august rather than the whole Hinshelwood disaster

D

Deleted member 2719

I support FDM and wish him luck, i reckon he could see no point in an apology as he knew he would never be on a level playing field with this arrogant self obsessed manager at the helm.

MM you may have won your battle with FDM but will you win the war with the more influencial fans - i doubt in some how.

FDM

Thanks for your excellent services which some fans don't seem to appreciate because of there blinkered belief in McGhee.

:clap: :clap: :clap:

sir danny cullip

Feb 14, 2004
Burgess Hill
Mouldy Boots said:
I support FDM and wish him luck, i reckon he could see no point in an apology as he knew he would never be on a level playing field with this arrogant self obsessed manager at the helm.

MM you may have won your battle with FDM but will you win the war with the more influencial fans - i doubt in some how.

FDM

Thanks for your excellent services which some fans don't seem to appreciate because of there blinkered belief in McGhee.

:clap: :clap: :clap:

Exactly what he said! FDM :bowdown:

JJ McClure

Go Jags
Jul 7, 2003
Hassocks
Damn shame. Kuipers is quality and was as important as Zamora in our championship seasons.

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
I liked FDM.

My guess is that this has as much to do with his wages as his refusal to apologise.

Scoffers

Jan 13, 2004
Burgess Hill
This is the most conclusive evidence yet of MM's position. Notice also how he brings in Dean White to show that it's not just a problem with him.

Shame about FDM, but he is 32, and I can understand him not wanting to sit on the bench, especially in League One, as he is certainly extremely capable in that league.

Arrid

Jul 26, 2004
Well done McGhee!
Dropped our best goal keeper and made our side weaker!

When McGhee dropped Kuipers he said it was because of his kicking. Henderson's is hardly much better and anyway isn't a keepers job primarily to shot stop etc.

Classic McGhee not being able to man manage, this is absolutely critical to his failings. We will see it again & again with him and the team spirit, if there is any left will lead to more poor results. FACT

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
over paid, injury prone and slightly over rated in my opinion.
Ship him out, we cant afford him in league 1

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Marshy said:
over paid, injury prone and slightly over rated in my opinion.
Ship him out, we cant afford him in league 1

:clap:

well said - dont really agree with how it was done but i doubt there would be as much made of it if it wasnt one of the old guard.

wallington seagull

Sep 8, 2003
Having done some scouting for Wigan on keepers- shot stopping is not what managers are looking for, it is more about distribution, both kicking and throwing and bossing the back 4. They EXPECT shot stoppong, catching crosses etc to be a natural part of their game. Kuipers will always be remembered fondly but his kicking was woeful.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here