Joao Teixeira

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Three things.

1). If we got a player as good as Tex, I'm sure CH would find a way to fit him in; conversely, a player as good as Tex could adapt his game to suit CH's wishes - so if we can get him, get him (as someone has said, he'd be even better playing in this year's team than in the shower of shite we had last year);

2} All formations - 4-4-2,4-3-3 etc. - are just ways of trying to gain an advantage. So, for instance 4-5-1 (or 3-5-2) are attempts to gain control of the midfield from a team playing 4-4-2. In this context, playing with one out and out winger who can play down either wing, and will change wings to gain the most advantage and create the most difficulty for the opposition, is a valid tactic, with precedents;

3). A playing formation of 4-2-2-2 has been mentioned (and ridiculed) on here. I'm not advocating it, but just pointing out that Brazil, circa 1970, used something like it - and they weren't actually too unsuccessful!

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
Tex must be leaving Liverpool if he doesn't get in the squad for this:
FRI, 08 JAN 2016 FA CUP - THIRD ROUND
19:55
Exeter vs Liverpool
Venue: St James Park

Pickledegg

Jul 13, 2012
With the LFC injury crisis I would be amazed if the let him go! They've just recalled Ojo from Wolves as cover!!

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
With the LFC injury crisis I would be amazed if the let him go! They've just recalled Ojo from Wolves as cover!!

That's my point really. If he is not in the squad now he is either doing a 'Bridcutt', or the deal to sell him has effectively been done but not announced or Liverpool don't rate him at all.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Three things.

1). If we got a player as good as Tex, I'm sure CH would find a way to fit him in; conversely, a player as good as Tex could adapt his game to suit CH's wishes - so if we can get him, get him (as someone has said, he'd be even better playing in this year's team than in the shower of shite we had last year);

2} All formations - 4-4-2,4-3-3 etc. - are just ways of trying to gain an advantage. So, for instance 4-5-1 (or 3-5-2) are attempts to gain control of the midfield from a team playing 4-4-2. In this context, playing with one out and out winger who can play down either wing, and will change wings to gain the most advantage and create the most difficulty for the opposition, is a valid tactic, with precedents;

3). A playing formation of 4-2-2-2 has been mentioned (and ridiculed) on here. I'm not advocating it, but just pointing out that Brazil, circa 1970, used something like it - and they weren't actually too unsuccessful!

1. I really don't think he's that good and simply can't understand the NSC love in when he had about 5 good games last season.

In terms of poor squad etc, the saying big fish in a small pool etc.... Sorry, he was a tiny fish who rarely shone in a very poor pool. Too weak and frequently chose the wrong option.

2. Yes

3. Highly debatable re Brazil, personally having seen their games, I don't think that formation is correct at all.

brightonrock

Dodgy Hamstrings
Jan 1, 2008
1. I really don't think he's that good and simply can't understand the NSC love in when he had about 5 good games last season.

Obviously its a game of opinions - because I don't understand this view. We were absolutely toilet last year, and other than Dunk, he was one of the only bright sparks that helped us stay up. He offered precious creativity where there was little from elsewhere. Sure, he wasn't brilliant every week - he's barely played any competitive first team football in his career - but he had a few games he absolutely ran, and many more in which he was our only meaningful threat. Not the finished article by any means, but I'd have him back in a heartbeat.

Diego Napier

Mar 27, 2010
Three things.

Last year's top scorer with six goals produced in a badly misfiring team during a crap season for us. He gained considerably in resilience and confidence throughout the season as he grew accustomed to the rigours of the championship. He will only improve and his silky skills would be a huge boost, complementing our Championship best midfield pairing of Stephens & Kayal.

I'm with you, get the lad in!

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath

In yesterdays Star they showed LVG showing this formation to the United players to use succesfully against Watford. So it is good enough for Man Utd but couldnt be used by us. Actually The Star used the picture with a back four and then 2-2-2 as looking like a penis,

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
He'll play for Liverpool tonight. A lot will depend on how he shows up in that, I guess.

Albumen

Don't wait for me!
Jan 19, 2010
Brighton - In your face

In terms of poor squad etc, the saying big fish in a small pool etc.... Sorry, he was a tiny fish who rarely shone in a very poor pool. Too weak and frequently chose the wrong option.

2. Yes

3. Highly debatable re Brazil, personally having seen their games, I don't think that formation is correct at all.

He was a lot of people's POTS last year, including mine.

stss30

Apr 24, 2008
Obviously its a game of opinions - because I don't understand this view. We were absolutely toilet last year, and other than Dunk, he was one of the only bright sparks that helped us stay up. He offered precious creativity where there was little from elsewhere. Sure, he wasn't brilliant every week - he's barely played any competitive first team football in his career - but he had a few games he absolutely ran, and many more in which he was our only meaningful threat. Not the finished article by any means, but I'd have him back in a heartbeat.
Spot on. For a young lad who had been thrown into the Championship (having been used to u21/reserve games) you couldn't of asked much more imo. He won us a couple of games almost single handedly in a, lets be honest, very poor side.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012

Totally agree. I still remember the first home match where my brother at half-time said he is a "proper" player. Agreed that he didn't shine every week, but when he was on the pitch there was always the chance of something exciting happening, and it sometimes did. Always enjoyed watching him.

Would he and Wilson fit well together? genuine question.

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
from what I seen of him last season, he would be another one with some ENERGY .....................get him in

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
I would take in a heartbeat until the end of the season if available.

We cant rely on lua lua for any period of time so need another player who can play wide or of a front man.

Get him in.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing

But then surely you are basing your judgement on glimpses rather than any level of consistency, young or not.

Even Joe Bennett had one or two decent games, but I wouldn't want him either.

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
But then surely you are basing your judgement on glimpses rather than any level of consistency, young or not.

Even Joe Bennett had one or two decent games, but I wouldn't want him either.

Really.... your comparing to Joe Bennett ?.... even in jest thats plain wrong..

He was outstanding considering the shower of a side that was around him at the time.

Crispy Ambulance

May 27, 2010
Burgess Hill
Got a hunch we're going to sign him on a permanent deal if, as seems likely, Bolanos & Calleri don't happen. Tex would then be the big money signing of this window.

Seagull over Canaryland

Feb 8, 2011
Norfolk
Seems a bit harsh to criticise Tex given the collective shortcomings of last season. A young man trying to develop his game within a misfiring side playing like a team of strangers under Sami's questionable tactics. No one shone in a side short on flair, lacking in confidence and far too predictable, enabling opposing teams to bully us.

I certainly didn't see Tex as an obvious Hughton player in a side fighting relegation. However we've now stepped up two or three gears and I could see a place for Tex, especially if we are building a squad. Knockaert will address some of our creative shortcomings and Tex could be another, within the squad. There really ought to be so much more to come from Tex, given the right support and development.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports