Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Joao Teixeira

Seasidesage

May 19, 2009
Brighton, United Kingdom
Fine margins and luck play a part sometimes. I thought he had the ability to play PL when he was here and just needed to toughen up a bit, which another season in the Championship would've done. The leg break came at just the wrong time.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
He wasn't even close to being a Premier League player when he was with us, maybe in a better team he'd have stood out more and I'm sure he's progressed since he was with us. But he was little better or worse than Jesse Lingard was, and, frankly, Lingard was only decent in a handful of games for us.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
His injury put him out of football for over a year so was quite a setback to his career. He may, or may not have, made the Prem if not for that.

It's the easiest thing in the world to say that. You can say that about quite literally any footballer at any stage. I'm pretty sure you've said the same thing about Sam Baldock, probably about Kazenga LuaLua as well. Anyone else who may, or may not, have made it in the Premier League but for injuries?

And a lack of talent.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
It's the easiest thing in the world to say that. You can say that about quite literally any footballer at any stage. I'm pretty sure you've said the same thing about Sam Baldock, probably about Kazenga LuaLua as well. Anyone else who may, or may not, have made it in the Premier League but for injuries?

And a lack of talent.

I said he may or may not have made the Prem and that a serious injury is quite a setback in a football career. Yes I have also said the same about Baldock and Kaz in regard to their injuries affecting their careers.

I have also said that Izquierdo isn't Prem despite his injured mitigating circumstances.

And your point is?

Edit: I think the easiest thing to say is that they are crap.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
He was class. I was convinced he was going to turn into a regular Prem starter but didn't work out that way.
He is playing in the europa league, so he hasn't done badly

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Tex is playing against Arsenal tonight in the Europa League with his current club Vitoría. There's an interview with him in today's Guardian where we get a mention https://www.theguardian.com/football/2019/oct/24/vitoria-guimaraes-joao-teixeira-arsenal

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2019/oct/24/vitoria-guimaraes-joao-teixeira-arsenal

Teixeira spent a season at Brighton in between those two appearances. He proved himself in the Championship with 36 appearances and five goals, which saw the midfielder collect the club’s Young Player of the Year award but disaster struck against Huddersfield. “The season was very good for me, but I broke my leg four games before the end of the season. It was not very nice; I had to stop, have surgery, they put some screws and a plate in my leg and I needed rehab to recover during the holidays.

“The plan was to go back to Liverpool, maybe have a few chances but maybe it wasn’t the right time to go back and I should have stayed another year at Brighton. I think I could have had more chances but that is not my choice, it is always the manager who decides if I do or do not get more chances, so that’s up to him.”

Thanks for posting.

One year was enough for me.
Not good enough, most of the time one touch too many.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

boik

And a lack of talent.

So by your argument, you were telling us that Ollie Norwood was PL quality a couple of years back were you? It's not easy to tell who will make the step up. Sometimes the chance comes at the wrong time, but then a later chance is at the right time.

jamie (not that one)

NSC Patron
May 3, 2012
Valencia
He is playing in the europa league, so he hasn't done badly

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

No absolutely not, but I really thought he was going to be a regular starter for Liverpool. Weird how things work out as I thought Lingard looked decent but would most likely end up a Championship player. I guess this is why I'm not a football scout :-D

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
No absolutely not, but I really thought he was going to be a regular starter for Liverpool. Weird how things work out as I thought Lingard looked decent but would most likely end up a Championship player. I guess this is why I'm not a football scout :-D

To be fair to you mate, Lingard showed no evidence at all in the time he was here to show he was a future international. Maybe he was out of position, maybe, he was holding something back, more likely a late developer

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away

And a lack of talent.

Both players you mentioned have shown 100 times more talent on the Amex pitch than the man under your username.

That sort of injury will affect some players more than others.

Texeira’s game is based on finding pockets of space and linking midfield to attack. The most similar player to him in our current squad is Gross. He’s less likely to be impacted by a serious knee injury than sprint stop, sprint turn players.

We’ve seen loads of examples at the Albion in recent years of players who’s game relies on acceleration get serious knee injuries, often ACL, and never really come back. CMS, Buckley, KLL, probably a few more. It must be pretty obvious to you, if you’ve seen them before and after, just what a devastating impact their injuries had on the level of contribution they are able to make.

BUTTERBALL

East Stand Brighton Boyz
Jul 31, 2003
location location
One of my favourite players of the Amex era, he had bags of potential if he could have improved his final ball, but that injury did for him at the wrong time.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
So by your argument, you were telling us that Ollie Norwood was PL quality a couple of years back were you? It's not easy to tell who will make the step up. Sometimes the chance comes at the wrong time, but then a later chance is at the right time.

Not at all - I didn't think he showed much with us but playing in a team which better utilises his strengths at Sheffield United, he has proven himself to be a capable player. Not that 3 consecutive promotions from the Championship wasn't some kind of evidence that he was a top player at that level.

I think it's the easiest thing in the world to say a player, "could have made it if it wasn't an injury". It's a lazy, blanket expression. You can argue about theory all you want but the reality is that players either make it or they don't. There are plenty of careers cut short by injury, but in the case of players like Baldock, LuaLua, Teixeira - they've all had plenty of time to get back to a level they would need to be at to get a chance. And none of them have made it (yet). In my opinion, based on what we saw of them, they were never going to be good enough to play regularly at Premier League level.

Adam Hinshelwood on the other hand, I think he would have been worthy of a Premier League chance. Especially considering Tommy Elphick got to play at the top level with half the ability.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here