Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

James Wilson

Turkey

Jul 4, 2003
If we bought him then I think he'd be a solid investment. Decent off the bench and will develop into a good striker who we could probably sell on for a profit.

I wouldn't be too fussed about getting him in on loan again though, as I think there are better short term solutions and Chris/Tony have said before they're not keen on loan signings.

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
When I started reading the thread it was a big no from me.But if CH wants him in,and hopefully he has a big say in recruitment after this season,I would be a big yes.After all,what do I know?The sum of F***ALL!

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
My own view based on what i have seen so far, is a no. he looked good to begin with and hten illness struck and he was never the same player. It's difficult to judge because I am not sure if we have seen the real James Wilson or not. If Hughton thinks there is a player there and that he can be raring to go next season, then ok I trust his judgement.

I suspect however we will be looking fill that youthful striker spot from elsewhere.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I think he has bags of talent, I don't think we got the best from him.

It brings me back to wondering just how 'bovvered' a young loan signing from a big Premier League club is ever going to be. I expect Wilson, as a Manchester United player, probably see's himself as being above the likes of Brighton, and was likely to be going through the motions here to a certain extent. That's certainly what it looked like most of the time.

Other than a good start, there was precious little from his subsequent performances that made me want to se him in the stripes again.

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
No, never. Only job I'd consider him for is cutting the oranges, and he'd f*** that up!

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
From what I saw of him he certainly has talent and a keen strikers instinct.

The issue really is fitness. If he has had/got Glandular Fever, it can take months if not years to get over that. Everyone was saying that he looked knackered after 10 minutes - this actually shows that he was prepared to give everything he had to the team. The trouble was that the everything was not as much as people expected. He could have taken the easy option and declared himself unfit, sat on his arse and taken his wages - he didn't, which shows to me that he is the sort of character we should be looking at.

Sort his fitness out and I would have him back, definitely.

HastingsSeagull

Jan 13, 2010
BGC Manila
He scored goals but did FA else. Those goals are vitally important and needed, but...........

It's a tricky one on a loan. I expect he'll go back there and do a Lingard (who I liked a lot when here). Either would turn out amazing if given a game every week, but why do that investment through the bad times and low points if he's not our player.

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach
I've thought about it and I don't think i'd like him back on loan.

A permanent move I would take, as it would show that he has moved on from dreamland about being a Manure regular and would show a willingness to work his way up from and prove his worth in a torrid division. This is all providied CH would deem his fitness issues a thing of the past.

That said, they would want a ridiculous price for him for being so young, probably 4-5m+ which could most certainly be better spent.

Hungry Joe

SINNEN
Oct 22, 2004
Heading for shore
For me he was the biggest disappointment of the season as I really thought he was going to be the player to get us the extra goals we needed to get promoted. I appreciate he's young and had some health issues, but I really didn't see enough to warrant a second bite.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Just got a feeling, whilst I doubt it will be with us, Wilson will go on to be a great success in the near future and a lot of people will look rather stupid for saying they wouldn't have him back. Of course I will probably end up being completely wrong.

Lingard

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
From what I saw of him he certainly has talent and a keen strikers instinct.

The issue really is fitness. If he has had/got Glandular Fever, it can take months if not years to get over that. Everyone was saying that he looked knackered after 10 minutes - this actually shows that he was prepared to give everything he had to the team. The trouble was that the everything was not as much as people expected. He could have taken the easy option and declared himself unfit, sat on his arse and taken his wages - he didn't, which shows to me that he is the sort of character we should be looking at.

Sort his fitness out and I would have him back, definitely.

This for me. There's a big talent in there of which we saw glimpses before he was weakened. Not at all sure he was ever 100% when he came back. Think he has zero chance of a MU start in the near future so he will be elsewhere, probably a season long loan so they can see if he's going to fulfil his potential. Make or break season for him.

lizard

Well-hung member
Jul 14, 2005
Not fit for purpose. If I bought something of his quality from a shop I'd take it back.

SB5

Jan 20, 2015
I would, he clearly has more talent/ability than the rest of the current strikers. Can't understand why so few rate him let alone suggest he is worse than Paynter.

joeinbrighton

Nov 20, 2012
Brighton
Loan spells can be a weird thing. Take Harry Kane for instance. In 4 loan spells between 2010 and 2013, his goalscoring ratios were as follows:

Leyton Orient: 18 appearances, 5 goals
Millwall: 27 appearances, 9 goals
Norwich: 5 appearances, 0 goals
Leicester: 15 appearances, 2 goals

Not really a lot in those stats that would have suggested he would then go back to Spurs, get given a chance by a new manager and take it quite conclusively to the point where he is now his club's talisman, has scored a goal every other game for them and is now also his country's leading centre forward.

Now, I'm not suggesting James Wilson is as good as Harry Kane. Quite clearly, I would say he is not on the strength of what's been seen up to now. But I'm more making the point that you shouldn't write a player off on the strength of a curtailed loan spell. Players develop at different paces and some take a bit of time to realise their potential which was the case it seems with Harry Kane.

But Wilson certainly has some ability. The flashes of brilliance in the early part of his loan spell against Charlton (a game changing goal) and against Derby showed that he has some technical quality and the right mentality to succeed. There is nothing to suggest that his attitude is bad, which makes what happens afterwards more puzzling unless there was a lingering medical problem.

I remember Gary Lineker saying once that he felt listless throughout England's disastrous Euro '88 campaign where England lost all 3 matches and he failed to score and it wasn't until a while later it was discovered that he'd had Glandular Fever during the tournament.

If Wilson has had something like that then it could quite feasibly affect his performances for quite some time afterwards, however much his desire is there to give his all to the cause.

It will be interesting to see how things pan out for him in the light of Mourinho seemingly being a matter of days away from taking the Man United job. He's not generally one for promoting youth and you would feel that Martial and Rashford have now pushed him some way down the pecking order, even though there are those at the club who do rate Wilson quite highly.

In the hypothetical event of Wilson being available to Brighton next season for loan or transfer, Brighton certainly shouldn't disregard him. I would expect the form he showed at the beginning of his loan spell last time to be indicative of his capabilities and with a clear run, he could definitely push for 15-20 goals in the Championship, which would be a very healthy return.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
The club's official mouthpiece on NSC has categorically stated that Wilson did not have a virus. Well he would say that, wouldn't he.

It absolutely couldn't be his form, his nerves, his inexperience, his style of play or that he's only played a handful of professional matches.
What it must be is the after effects of an illness which caused him to miss 2 games in December and he said (several times), other players said (Zamora in the Argus in January) , and the club (Hughton) said had cleared up by early January.
An illness (scrub that...it must be a virus...scrub that ...it must be glandular fever...) that the player , the club and other players and the club's expensive doctors either don't know about , either aren't saying, have certainly never mentioned in public ever or they do know about his health and have been lying about it in public for nearly 6 months.
but they would , wouldn't they ? (Why ?)
Yes it must be that ...

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here