Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Is #TeamsLikeBrighton a thing of the past?

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
There is a Brighton director who explained to me, almost word for word, this exact viewpoint. Are you a Brighton board director?
I wish!

Zeberdi

Brighton born & bred
NSC Patron
Oct 20, 2022
’TeamsLikeBrighton’ according to Arse fans on Goonersworld talking about Saturday:

“This will be a good test of our potential and should be interesting”

“City play twice before we play this
8 points could become 2 and pressure will intensify.

Massive game this and the start of a very difficult run of fixtures
Bring it on”

“Yes. Brighton in good form going into this along with us, I'd take a draw if we cant get the win … i dont expect this to be easy whatsoever. … Brighton in good form going into this along with us, I'd take a draw if we cant get the win
This game shouldn‘t be about even outplaying Brighton … this is just about getting the job done by any means necessary”

‘TeamsLikeBrighton’ which have great owners, have astute scouting teams, maintain a sustainably talented squad level, under excellent management and quite capable of snapping at the heels of big 6 clubs in the scramble for European spots and to undermine a Big 6 club’s own chances against other Big 6 clubs for top 4 spots - and they know it!

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Looks like these guys have noticed that Brighton needs to be taken seriously (start talking about Brighton at 2:30 into the video)

Noticed, maybe - but not learned a lot obviously. Still, it's good to know De Zerbi finally got his first win on Monday at Southampton..............................

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I believe there are broadly 4 tiers of clubs in the minds of supporters:

1. There's the Big 6 and the only way you break into that tier for a sustained period of time is being acquired by a Middle Eastern country.
2. There's the Tier 2 clubs who have been established top flight clubs for much of their history, but are not Top 6. Tier 2 clubs are Everton, West Ham, Newcastle, Leeds, Villa. Man City were in this tier until they got taken over by a Middle Eastern country.
3. Tier 3 is where we are now. Clubs that have got a foothold in the Prem, have been in for a few years and upset the big boys from time to time so deserve respect, i.e. us, Palace, Wolves, Southampton.
4. Tier 4 are yoyo clubs like Fulham, Norwich, Burnley, Watford, Bournemouth, WBA or chancers like Brentford, Cardiff, Hull, Huddersfield.
Problem with that is it gives too much weight to ‘history’. Leeds have spent more than 15 of the last 20 years outside the PL for example.

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
I wonder why so many of our fans get fixated about what others think. There was a FB post after last game moaning that Lineker and Co went on only about how crap Southampton were. Isn't that a back-handed compliment, taking for granted that Brighton are a good side, so it doesn't need saying? And, frankly, the Amazon commentary was by contrast OTT in its eulogizing of Albion, and not pointing how crap Saints were.

My reaction to these 'concerns', shall we call them, is 'WTF does it matter'? Are we more/less likely to beat Arsenal or anyone else if opposing fans drop 'Teams like Brighton'? I don't think there is a PL manager who would even think it, which is what really counts.

PS: remember that 11 year old Swansea supporter who was giving it some on R5L after we beat them 1-0 in first season, including the TLB phrase? It was vintage.
We aren't fixated with what others think. We are normal fans who enjoy reading, hearing, seeing nice things about our team especially recognition when we win or have a good run. I like to hear what is being said by non Brighton fans and the media. If we lose, I want nothing to do with the match. If we win, I head straight for the reports and especially the Media Review on the Albion website.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
Arsenal fans TV was one of the first to use the slogan. Reading their forums this week they seem to have a lot more respect for us. Indeed the typical expected result is to hold on for a draw. Blimey.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
I’m afraid it’s eternal. Plastics of the richest clubs expect to win every game, never mind against #TLB. They have zero perspective, knowledge of the games history, lose their minds (relative term) if they even concede a goal against us in August never mind April and thus will always use the phrase. They can’t help it. Pity them. For it is more ignorance than arrogance.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
you may be right but I wouldn't be surprised if Souness was unaware of Mac's new contract.
Souness was completely unaware of Mac Allister until the knock out stages.

Zeberdi

Brighton born & bred
NSC Patron
Oct 20, 2022
But I think that’s Souness point, he’s been elevated since the World Cup and unlikely to sign a new one
I wish His Royal Fcuking Sourness would keep his twatty opinions to himself tbh.

theboybilly

No it hasn't run its course judging by the amount of top 6 club fans that bemoan the Albion setting such high bars for selling their best players. I actually think most of them think that it's their cash.

#teamslikebrighton is great for winding them up, long may it continue

Lever

Feb 6, 2019
Has it run its course?

Are we now widely seen as a decent side, difficult to beat as opposed to a plucky minnow punching above their weight amongst giants of the game such as Leeds, Everton, Aston Villa and West Ham?

Maybe it can be (if it hasn't already) repurposed to mean a very well run club, largely trying to do things the right way in a patient and sustainable manner capable of achieving long-term success.

Discuss (if you can be arsed)...
Good question.
I think references to how humiliating it is to be beaten by (a team like) Brighton are less frequent these days.

In some ways this makes the task of beating the disgustingly wealthy entitled clubs more challenging because they don't underestimate us!

chickens

Intending to survive this time of asset strippers
Oct 12, 2022
It helps us hugely to be perpetually underrated, but regrettably our opposition learn (hopefully the hard way) that they dismiss us at their peril.

As some others have pointed out, I suspect the phrase will evolve rather than die. Whereas #teamslikebrighton used to mean “relegation fodder punching above their weight, always only one step from the relegation zone” it may come to mean “smallish but well run club, hovering mid table, possibly on the brink of European qualification”.

Only time will tell. For most clubs success is cyclical, and the definition of success differs depending on club history. I’d settle for a club where European qualification was a genuine possibility, and even that feels greedy based on where we came from.

Popeye

I Don't Exercise
Nov 12, 2021
North Carolina USA
I would rather be like us and how we are ran than any other club in the world. We do things the right way, will make Europe soon enough, and are a role model for how an owner should run a club.

Every other club can f*** off if they don't like us.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here